Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking while I was riding a steady 80 mph, my RPM's are at 5K. Is that hard on the motor to hang around that high of RPM for 10-20 minutes? What about 6K?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but I have noticed that my bike has a "sweet spot" at about 80 mph, at the RPMs you mention. I rather doubt that you're hurting anything! That said, operating at higher speeds probably entails a cost in increased wear and tear on everything, especially tires and brakes.

Our bikes have a finite life span, in both years and componant wear. We each decide how we'll spend this. I rather like high speed running, and am not planning on trading in a pristine, low milage machine.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Well... I run mine at those speeds all the time. Durations are between 10 minutes and an entire tank of gas (over an hour at 85+ MPH). The bike seems to just eat up the miles and keep on ticking, doesn't miss a beat both times I've ridden from Phoenix to LA and back, and many many 300+ mile day rides in AZ, with lots of freeway travel.

I've also noted a sweet spot for cruising between 80 and 90 MPH. I could (and have) ride at 90 for hours if the road allowed.

That said, my valve guides are shot. Some of the DS1000 motors had a material for guides that didn't hold up. Several on this board have had their heads replaced under warranty at less than 10,000 miles. I never did, and at 33,500 miles now, they are very loose, but the bike does not smoke or use oil. I'm riding it until I can find a set of heads to rebuild or it's so bad it won't get me down the road...I just can't bear to have the bike down long enough to fix the ones that are on there.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I was just thinking while I was riding a steady 80 mph, my RPM's are at 5K. Is that hard on the motor to hang around that high of RPM for 10-20 minutes? What about 6K?

10,000 rpm would be too high.

You are running right in the smoothest part of the engine's range. That is what is is made to do. Yes, higher rpm creates some increased wear on rings and valves, but lugging at low rpm is very hard on bearings. There ain't no free lunch.

Ride it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
corky - just curious, are you're running the stock 15\39 setup? I am and only turn about 4150k at 80 in 6th. I'm not sure I'm even turning 5k in 5th there.

At any rate, I believe 5k is only about 55-60% of the way to the rev limiter. If your car is like most and has a top speed of under 130, you're probably at least as close to its red line when driving at 80 but I'll bet you do anyway, right?:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's frankly right about where the power is... I wouldn't be shy about running it at 5k all day long (and I pretty much do every time I ride). There's a tradeoff here - yes, faster revolutions presumably means more wear, but it also means more oil flow lubricating the parts. I'd guess you wind up breaking even.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great responses! It wasn't something that I was loosing sleep over, just something that I thought I would throw out there.

No, I do not have stock gearing. I have 15/42 which is basically the same as 14/39.

·
Registered
985 Posts
No, I do not have stock gearing. I have 15/42 which is basically the same as 14/39.
Noticed just this morning that I'm turning just under 4,200 RPM in 6th gear at an indicated 80 MPH.

Distances are long out here; that's why I kept the gearing stock.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Sure hope not. I normally ride 145 km/hr (~80 mph I think) all day long.

I've also noted a sweet spot for cruising between 80 and 90 MPH. I could (and have) ride at 90 for hours if the road allowed.
Roads here in Europe allow (especially in Germany).

Noticed just this morning that I'm turning just under 4,200 RPM in 6th gear at an indicated 80 MPH.

...I kept the gearing stock.
Same, except I'm running with an S4R. The fastest I've taken it is 200kph (on public roads in Germany) and it's just under 7500 rpm. And I still get passed by Porches and Beemers.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Distances are long out here; that's why I kept the gearing stock.
While I plan on keeping the stock gearing for the highway fuel economy and short-shift low rpm neighborhood trolling I enjoy, I can appreciate why some tighten it up a bit (like when I gotta drop down to 1st for most corners). My wife has a Jetta, and I love the Tiptronic tranny where you've got "regular" and "sport" modes. I know nothing about the engineering necessary for this, but it would be awesome on our Ducs IMO. It'd really compliment the bike's cruiser\sport bike dual personality.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
On my SS1000DS, which is the same engine, I don't normally spend much time below 5k RPM, 6k is more normal at high speeds. Less than 5k, and I shift to a lower gear.

My ST2 generally runs 500 more than my SS, as it has 14/43 hearing (the SS 15/43).

On both bikes I generally use only the last 3k RPM before redline on back roads.

If I want to chug along at low revs, I take one of my Guzzis or my 999R.

Tom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Most of the power I find is between 5,500 and 7,500. Riding this thing under 4K is hard and most un-enjoyably.

·
Registered
51 Posts
redlining

What do most consider red lining with these motors (as there is no redline on the tach)?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
they have a rev limiter and wont rev higher than that limit. not sure what it is though
I think it's around 85

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
my 2 cents

my GT had 14 / 39 and 4000 was just under70 mph... perfect cruising speed ... 3500 = 60 MPH and 3000 was 50 MPH.... I always cruised at 4K even though I was speeding... heheheeh\\

under 3500 sucks..... over 5k feels a little buzzy ...to me
4k is great... I just went down to 14/40... I like it better..

Id say,,, cruise at around 4000 max for optimum/ power/longevity/comfort

change the gearing to suit your riding style..:think:

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well... I run mine at those speeds all the time. Durations are between 10 minutes and an entire tank of gas (over an hour at 85+ MPH). The bike seems to just eat up the miles and keep on ticking, doesn't miss a beat both times I've ridden from Phoenix to LA and back, and many many 300+ mile day rides in AZ, with lots of freeway travel.

That said, my valve guides are shot. Some of the DS1000 motors had a material for guides that didn't hold up. Several on this board have had their heads replaced under warranty at less than 10,000 miles. I never did, and at 33,500 miles now, they are very loose, but the bike does not smoke or use oil. I'm riding it until I can find a set of heads to rebuild or it's so bad it won't get me down the road...I just can't bear to have the bike down long enough to fix the ones that are on there.
D, did you see the post of the guy parting out his blacked out track-only sport? he was selling the entire DS engine for $1500...

·
Registered
185 Posts
While I plan on keeping the stock gearing for the highway fuel economy and short-shift low rpm neighborhood trolling I enjoy, I can appreciate why some tighten it up a bit (like when I gotta drop down to 1st for most corners). My wife has a Jetta, and I love the Tiptronic tranny where you've got "regular" and "sport" modes. I know nothing about the engineering necessary for this, but it would be awesome on our Ducs IMO. It'd really compliment the bike's cruiser\sport bike dual personality.
That would be nice, similar to a derailleur system, found on bicycles.

Wonder why no one's come up with that?

Regards Nick

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That would be nice, similar to a derailleur system, found on bicycles.
Wonder why no one's come up with that?
Regards Nick
It's not difficult in cars for two reasons:

1. Two speed differential makes a very simple solution in a car. How to do that on a chain drive bike is something to which now one seems to have a good overall solution.

2. All the auto solutions add an amount of weight to a car that isn't terribly important in a car but would be devastating to a sport bike, like 100-200 lbs.

There have been a few bikes with dual range transmissions, but all that I know of have been off-road bikes. I don't know why those solutions wouldn't be workable on a sport-bike. The most obvious possible problems are that it would add too much weight in a form that could deal with liter-bike horsepower, or that it simply isn't desired by enough people for anyone to put the design and engineering money into it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The Honda CB900 and 1000 shafties of the early '80s had a dual range tranny, but the engineers had to do some tweaks to the drive shaft to mate the engine to the swingarm. The bike was kinda chunky - a little over 600lbs. wet - but was a reasonably good seller. I've always loved the looks of these bikes and considered buying one back in the day but ended up getting a Honda Shadow instead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts