Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

When Ducati ceased the ST production, what did they replace it with?

Which model in the recent lineup resembles the ST the most?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Nothing directly.
The current 939SuperSport is the closest, and it's less touring-oriented, but can do in a pinch.
The MultiStrada can sport-tour pretty well, if you're not too inseam-challenged.

PhilB

Reactions: tonered

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Which is exactly why when I totaled my ST3 8 years ago I bought my KTM 990SMT. Ducati still doesn’t make anything I’d trade it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
How about the new v4 tourer based on the Diavel so people of average height can ride it without getting altitude sickness ? Oh, wait, that’s right, there ISN‘T ONE !

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm sure you are aware but the sport touring motorcycle category diminishing or disappearance is directly proportionally to the increase of the adventure category.
There are still larger tourers but the more upright "sport" rider position has transitioned into the fully upright adventure position. Which is really just a oversize dirt bike with wind protection position.
I don't think there is a current Ducati that has the wind protection of an ST, except the MS. But the MS is way taller.
I agree the SS are closest, maybe but can't go as far on a tank, more forward riding position and less wind protection.
Until there is a real demand for ST machines again we'll continue to get esthetical based cruisers and sport machines with max 3.5-4 gallon fuel capacities.
Or tall "adventure" designs.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Are the Multistradas really that much taller? The handlebars are probably a bit higher, but the seat is not. I know seat height measurements aren’t everything when it comes to reach, but the ST comes in at 32.3 while the Multi is 32.5. I’m 5’-6” with short legs and do just fine on the Multi. What I’m getting at is the Multi and other ADV bikes look taller than they really are (except for the KTMs). Don’t assume the Multi is too tall for you. It probably isn’t.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A buddy of mine is about 5' 9" and loved his Multistrada for touring duties. He eventually replaced it with a Panigale that he put taller bars on, but rarely rides. He talks up Multistradas every chance he gets, it certainly wasn't too tall for him. I'm pretty sure he'll buy another one eventually.

I'd agree a big reason Ducati doesn't make an ST anymore is because it wouldn't sell in very great numbers. They already have a boatload of models for a company their size. My guess is they would have to not build something else if they were to build an ST.

Anyway, I think it wouldn't take too much to make a Super Sport into a fair example of an ST. Sure, you can't just walk in and buy it but if you really want something that bad...

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are still larger tourers but the more upright "sport" rider position has transitioned into the fully upright adventure position.
Yes. Arthritis in my hands, shoulder, back, hip, and knee gradually pushed me off sportbikes, then off my Concours.
I went to cruisers and the Goldwing

And then I discovered the Multistrada. :love:
It's a sportbike for guys that can't ride a sportbike any more....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I don't like the adventure bike style, and the MS feels tall to me.

I want a real sport-tourer. I was seriously thinking about a Motus MST, and would be saving to buy one if they hadn't gone out of business. I need to testride the Kawasaki H2 SX SE, and the Honda VFR1200; I've tested or at least checked out pretty much all the other current or recent sport-tourers. Unless one of those two really grabs me, I'm probably going to go with a Ducati 939SuperSport S.

PhilB

Reactions: Dukerdr

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
@PhilBoncer ,why not get a used ST?
They rip, they handle, sound great , can carry a load and you know how to maintain 'em!
I considered that. An ST4s would fit the bill pretty well.

But I got spoiled by my M900, which I bought brand new in 1993, and rode for its entire life -- 24 years. So I kind of want to do the same thing, more or less -- buy a 939SS new, break it in right, and know that it's been handled well, and properly maintained, right from the beginning.

If I was on a budget, I'd almost certainly go with the used ST route. But they're already 15 to 20 years old, and have histories. Not everyone spends the money to get the good parts and do all the things right.

And I do like the 939SS; I think it will serve my needs well.

PhilB

Reactions: flynbulldog

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,680 Posts
Sounds like you're on your way. I looked at the 938 SS a couple of years ago. The ergos were a little tight but close...tried a Multistrada out ,it didn't push the right buttons for me. It felt like you were sitting on top vs. an ST where I've always felt like you were sitting within it. I found a well maintained ST4S , tastefully modded and am very happy with the upgrade from my '98 ST2.
Good luck with the SS, hope you get another 200,000 + with it!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
The Supersport is almost identical to the ST, riding position and power wise, so much so I kept my ST and bought a Multi. Having owned it for a couple of years I understand why the uprights are killing the sport tourers. The newer Multi is narrow at the waist making it seem less tall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 6'1" and all arms and legs I usually wear 33-34 inseam pants. So the seat height rarely is an issue. What is an issue is how much my knees are bent.
I haven't compared the SS to the Multi or to my ST3 that closely and I like the height and ergos of the MS. But I'm not a fan of how much my legs were bent when sitting on an SS.
It seems that there was a large number of riders that have aged and now still want to ride and they have migrated to cruisers, tourers and make up a large part of the adventure crowd.

I'm just going by my friends and my kids friends. My friends are 40s-60s and all had dirt bikes when young and have ridden on road some. Some still do one or both. But my children's generation is less into riding. It would be interesting to see the age make up of riders of different styles of bikes. And how many young adults are riding as they move into their own lives.
Sorry for going off topic a bit.

·
Premium Member
2004 Ducati ST3
135 Posts
I considered that. An ST4s would fit the bill pretty well.

But I got spoiled by my M900, which I bought brand new in 1993, and rode for its entire life -- 24 years. So I kind of want to do the same thing, more or less -- buy a 939SS new, break it in right, and know that it's been handled well, and properly maintained, right from the beginning.

If I was on a budget, I'd almost certainly go with the used ST route. But they're already 15 to 20 years old, and have histories. Not everyone spends the money to get the good parts and do all the things right.

And I do like the 939SS; I think it will serve my needs well.

PhilB
Unfortunately, there is not current model that really replaces the ST. When it was time for me to leave the sportbike group and get into a more relaxed riding position, still interested in enjoying the twisties my only choice was an older ST so I bought a 2004 ST3. Sure, it's 16 years old and not as fast as my 999, but it still has the Ducati "sport" feel to it. I am loving the experience! And it's nice to have integrated paniers for carrying stuff!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Unfortunately, there is not current model that really replaces the ST. When it was time for me to leave the sportbike group and get into a more relaxed riding position, still interested in enjoying the twisties my only choice was an older ST so I bought a 2004 ST3. Sure, it's 16 years old and not as fast as my 999, but it still has the Ducati "sport" feel to it. I am loving the experience! And it's nice to have integrated paniers for carrying stuff!
I'm lucky enough to be a good size for Ducatis. And after 26 years of riding Monsters every day, my core strength is good. I can ride my M900 600 miles in a day pretty easily, and have done some 900+ mile days.

I'm 5'6". about 155 lbs, with short legs and long arms -- the perfect Italian model. For me, the 939SS is comfortable; I have no worries about it being suitable for me to travel on. It's just a matter of making sure that it can carry what I need it to, when I ride it, with all my stuff, to a new jobsite to live there and work for months.

I'm also totally comfortable in vintage Alfa Romeos (the cars I grew up with), and other Italian machines. I think that's part of why I gravitate to them.

Here is how I showed up at a new job in October 2018, riding from New Hampshire to Minneapolis on my M900. So you can see the challenge.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
2004 Ducati ST3
135 Posts
I'm lucky enough to be a good size for Ducatis. And after 26 years of riding Monsters every day, my core strength is good. I can ride my M900 600 miles in a day pretty easily, and have done some 900+ mile days.

I'm 5'6". about 155 lbs, with short legs and long arms -- the perfect Italian model. For me, the 939SS is comfortable; I have no worries about it being suitable for me to travel on. It's just a matter of making sure that it can carry what I need it to, when I ride it, with all my stuff, to a new jobsite to live there and work for months.

I'm also totally comfortable in vintage Alfa Romeos (the cars I grew up with), and other Italian machines. I think that's part of why I gravitate to them.

Here is how I showed up at a new job in October 2018, riding from New Hampshire to Minneapolis on my M900. So you can see the challenge.

PhilB
View attachment 983787
Phil, you are definitely the iron man of sports touring! It would be great if we all had your "perfect" physical characteristics and endurance. I am in awe! 😮

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow guys, thanks for all the replies!
The Adventures are indeed capturing a growing public (myself included) due to its very comfortable riding position and possible “sport” riding like the MS’. This was my n.1 reason when opting for the MS, although I admit I’d in doubt if I had a ST type of choice.

I like the SS style a lot, but at 6.0-6.1” I found myself a bit cramped for a long ride. My average rides are about 1.5 to 2 hours without stopping or with only a brief stop, and I believe this continuous time wouldn’t be comfortable enough on the SS like it would be on the ST.

A pity there’s no direct replacement, I’d be a candidate (as a lot of you here).

cheers

1 - 20 of 58 Posts