Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a 999S and have already seen one to my liking.
It is for sale by an authorized Ducati Dealer. I have already seen it a couple of months ago but now I am very serious about buying it.
As it is far from my home I will first email them.
What are the questions I must most definitely ask?
Mind you this will be my first bike.
It was always dealer maintained since it was bought there.
No crash damage, really looks neat.
The questions I have thought up right now are:

- When will it need it's next service?
- When have belts been replaced?
- Does it have full Termignoni?
- Does it have an alarm

Are there any other MUST ask questions or peculiarities with this model that I must know?

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I bought a 2005 999s last year, and I can affirm it is not appropriate as a first bike, if that is indeed your circumstances. I've been riding for many years, and the 999s power is fairly serious.

Ron

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
You will crash this bike soon if you purchase it as your first bike. It's not just the power.. The steering lock, the clutch, the power of the brakes, the body position required... Don't do it.

If you do buy it, which you probably will, ask them if there is a crashed bike return policy available.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Is it your 1st Ducati or 1st motorcycle? IF it is your 1st motorcycle it is definetly for experienced riders only as Alexio stated and it's good advice.
Don't be offended, start out with a nice 500cc or 600cc Honda. Easier to acclimate your self to, less costly to fix if you chuck it down the road. If you really want a Duc, try a 696 Monster or 800 SS.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Make sure they give you the RED key with at least one black one. And there should be a code card as well. It should start and idle well. Check the regular stuff - brakes, tires, chain, sprocket, clutch etc.

If you do crash it can I have the ohlins stuff that doesnt get all destroyed:abduct:

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Make sure they give you the RED key with at least one black one. And there should be a code card as well. It should start and idle well. Check the regular stuff - brakes, tires, chain, sprocket, clutch etc.

If you do crash it can I have the ohlins stuff that doesnt get all destroyed:abduct:
Oh yea... And put some axle sliders on it first thing so you Have a better chance of keeping the nice Ohlins forks and the swing arm intact... Those things have saved my precious parts at the track during low sides and they only cost $50 or so.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys Thanks for the advice..I almost forgot about the 3 keys, 1 red 2 black and code card.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Everyone has good advice - my 999 s is my second bike - first a FZR 600 - 91. Rode it for 18 years - the 999 is definitely not a good first bike. Lots of torque - fidgety dry clutch - sounds fun - not when you crash - listen to the folks on this forum - talking from experience - good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You have a good taste for choosing your first bike :D However as other members told you, the 999 is not a bike for starters.

My first bike was an Aprilia RS250 It had about 50-60 hp. I had a lot of fun on that bike and I dropped it 2 times in the 2 years I had it. After the RS250 a RSV Mille and a RSV Mille R followed. Those bike have about 120-130 hp and I can remember the first test ride. I was totally overruled by the power and brakes. 6 years later I bought my 999R XEROX. I have about 10 years of bike experience, but the 999R still amazes me how fast it accelerates and how extremely powerful the brakes are.

And one more advice:
Never ride without your leather outfit, no matter how warm it is outside!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot. I will think it through but the thing is I know people who started out on a R1. I'm in my late 20's not seeking death by speed.:)
I just fell in love with that model. Realisticly speaking It is a possibility that I will drop it on it's side. High speed crashes are something that I pray won't happen. But than again isn't that what all risk insurance is for?:p

I have ridden before, couple of years ago just never a lot and have my full protective gear. Never owned a bike though.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would also ask the dealer for new tires, oil and brake fluid ow yes, and some discount!!! There are a lot of bikes for sale!

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm not your mama, so I'm not going to spew crap about what you shouldn't buy. You're a grown man.

But saying that, how about checking out the Hall of Wisdom or searching before posting?
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/26729-buying-used-ducati-superbike.html
Your link to buying a used super bike is for the 916-996 models,very little info there crosses over to the. Testastretta engine and the 999.
Fwiw if the bike starts easy and it idles well the engine will be in proper tune.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There are quite a few threads in the past with 999 or 999s specific things to look for when buying. Use the search.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are quite a few threads in the past with 999 or 999s specific things to look for when buying. Use the search.
I found your post in the topic about the soldier wanting to buy an 999. Your post was very technical and helpfull. The bike comes with a 6 month guarantee from a Ducati authorized dealer. And when I was there the way he talked and went about things was very trust inspiring.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Glad that post helped. I wish all the great info was in one thread but there were several "what to look for threads" so the information got chopped up. Lucky a well maintained 999 is a very dependable bike, but it's good to know the got-ya's up front as service and repair cost on a Duc are quite a bit more then the rice burners.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Your link to buying a used super bike is for the 916-996 models,very little info there crosses over to the. Testastretta engine and the 999.
Fwiw if the bike starts easy and it idles well the engine will be in proper tune.

Point being the information is available and the posts points out some things to look at no matter what the bike. Maintenance is still one of the most important things, regardless of model.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
A guy in my little Missouri town recently bought a 996. Ducatis are fairly rare around here so I was eager to chat with him. He admitted it was his first bike, but he rode his buddy's 600RR "a lot".

He knew nothing of its service history, and likely has no intentions of taking care of the 12,000 he is almost due for. He added that the clutch was acting up and his 600RR buddy said it would probably have to be replaced. I asked what it was doing. He said it sounded funny. No shit. I had him start it and of course it sounded normal.

Questions I have for you are:

How much is the bike?
How many miles are on it?
Where is it located?

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts