Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what parts from other ducatis are shared with the paul smart?

Fixing up and modifying a crashed Paul smart ps1000le and I need pretty much everything.

does anyone know what other bikes share the same parts...ohlin forks, wheels, wiring, clutch, brakes, calipers, rotors, guage, exhaust, rearsets, wiring, ecu, front axle, sprockets, clip ons, switches... pretty much the works!........

I'm in San Diego and in need of parts by the way so if you have some spares or stuff thats scratched or a little damaged thats fine.

[email protected]

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
what parts from other ducatis are shared with the paul smart?

Fixing up and modifying a crashed Paul smart ps1000le and I need pretty much everything.

does anyone know what other bikes share the same parts...ohlin forks, wheels, wiring, clutch, brakes, calipers, rotors, guage, exhaust, rearsets, wiring, ecu, front axle, sprockets, clip ons, switches... pretty much the works!........

I'm in San Diego and in need of parts by the way so if you have some spares or stuff thats scratched or a little damaged thats fine.

[email protected]
The wheels, shock and forks are unique to the PS, but everything else can either come from a 06 monoposto or later 1000S. Body panels with the correct paint will be the toughest to come by.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another question....what about a Shark exhaust for the Paul smart but its missing the DP ECU. How much of a problem will that be? could a power commander be used instead of the DP ecu?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
another question....what about a Shark exhaust for the Paul smart but its missing the DP ECU. How much of a problem will that be? could a power commander be used instead of the DP ecu?
The Power Commander will not operate in closed loop mode, so you need an open loop ECU (DP) to go with the PC. There are DP ECU's for the PS/S1K/S/GT up on eBay frequently.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I've got a PS. How are the wheels different? :confused: I'm not disagreeing. I just want to know.
They are aluminum rims rather than steel, but they are not unique to the Smart. They are the same as on the 06 Sport, and also the 2007-9 biposto Sport 1000 and Sport 1000S, except in some cases the rims are black instead of natural aluminum colour. Only the GT has the steel rims.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've got a PS. How are the wheels different? :confused: I'm not disagreeing. I just want to know.
They're not unique to the PS. The wheels are unique to the Sport Classic line, but not solely to the PS.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
They're not unique to the PS. The wheels are unique to the Sport Classic line, but not solely to the PS.
Well, I checked, and you are right. I was thinking that the PS had the DP upgraded AL wheels, but the catalog shows them as an option on the PS too.

So I guess the wheels across the sport line are the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was told the ohlins forks are the same as monster sr4s. is this true?

what about the dash and wiring are they all common with the sport classics

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
i was told the ohlins forks are the same as monster sr4s. is this true?

what about the dash and wiring are they all common with the sport classics
This is not true. The PS Ohlins are not TiN treated on the sliders, and use 65mm axial brakes. The S4Rs forks are coated and use 100mm radial brakes.

Although the Monster/SS/ST forks will fit, they are a little taller than the stockers. I'm not sure if you can use the spoked wheels with radial forks, as using axial brakes with other than the stock calipers has clearance issues.

I would think that the 1000S wiring should be compatible, but best to check with the dealer on this.

However, it's kind of useless to go checking part numbers across PS and other SC bikes, since Ducati did a revision after the PS came out. Unless you have access to the dealer system, you can't check the compatibility or up-revs from just part numbers alone. Most parts will interchange, but there may be gotchas.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
They are aluminum rims rather than steel, but they are not unique to the Smart. They are the same as on the 06 Sport, and also the 2007-9 biposto Sport 1000 and Sport 1000S, except in some cases the rims are black instead of natural aluminum colour. Only the GT has the steel rims.
Thanks YellowDuck and DrD! I guess I hadn't paid much attention to GT wheels.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Dash wiring is probably identical, but the dash panel is not all "common with the Sport Classics." It is, almost certainly, compatible, but not identical, especially with the GT.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so any Monster/SS/ST forks will fit whats the diameter of the forks and is the brake mounting the same between the 65mm and 100mm?

There are 5 spoke marchesini rims on mine although the front is toast so need a new one of those too. The front axle is even really bent.

This is not true. The PS Ohlins are not TiN treated on the sliders, and use 65mm axial brakes. The S4Rs forks are coated and use 100mm radial brakes.

Although the Monster/SS/ST forks will fit, they are a little taller than the stockers. I'm not sure if you can use the spoked wheels with radial forks, as using axial brakes with other than the stock calipers has clearance issues.

I would think that the 1000S wiring should be compatible, but best to check with the dealer on this.

However, it's kind of useless to go checking part numbers across PS and other SC bikes, since Ducati did a revision after the PS came out. Unless you have access to the dealer system, you can't check the compatibility or up-revs from just part numbers alone. Most parts will interchange, but there may be gotchas.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The PS wheels are still a big step up from the GT's OEM steel wheels. I now have them on my GT and love them.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the link to the parts catalog for your bike:

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/parts/2006/pdf/SMART1000LE_usa_06_ed_01.zip

BTW, you are better off buying new road and track forks for the bike, than to try and get new original equipment. List price on the OEM fork pair is $4650.00

Ohlins will also custom build you a fork set for your bike, less expensive than OEM, with better results.

cool thanks. what bikes use the 'road and track' forks? so I know what to try and buy

I wonder if Ohlins can reasonably rebuild these ones?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
or has anyone done a radial brake and fork modification? if so is there something that is pretty much bolt on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts