Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What Oil Are You Using??

6K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  cb4265 
#1 ·
I am about to do my first oil change on my 2006 ST3. What oil and wt of oil are you using??

#2 ·
G
#3 ·
read the manuel on weight,,silkolene is what came w/ my 07-st3-s-abs,red-line,repsol,motul are ducati friendly.stay away from any mobil oil,its good in vehicle though.stock oil filter from ducati are great,stay w/ them,replace the oil-filter w/ a new washer gasket also,these are of my opinion only,every ducati rider has a differ.view so guys like me Respects all the opinions and years of riding from the most of experience of ducati ownners,thank you to all those guys.

#6 ·
Oil answer your question

When I asked the same question on another forum, this is the most helpful response I got:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/122020-motor-oil.html

This fella really knows his potatoes - a certified petroleum engineer, he breaks it down for us, answers many, many questions about oil(s) in detail. Every other response I got was just another opinion from well-meaning folks who have no real lubrication creds.

What I took away from the posting was "use Mobil1 10W40 4T Racing oil" and an Amsoil filter. I did that at my last oil change and it feels like I'm riding a completely different machine - I mean TRANSFORMED! I ride a 2006 ST3, ~16,000 miles.

See what you think. Hope this helps you, brother.

George

#8 · (Edited)
Transformation

Brian - sure thing. It shifts incredibly smoothly now - like butter; when first started, it seems to very quickly settle into a smooth idle while warming up; the bike seems to run, well, smoother. It seems more manageable at lower RPMs - like when going around corners and starting out. Doesn't seem to be working as hard to accelerate when the grip is twisted.

Honestly, I had NO expectation for anything other than an engine and transmission that would be simply better lubricated. I fully expected the bike to run exactly the same, just with better protection for the metal-to-metal parts.

The oil I used previously was the dealer-selected 20W-50 semi-synthetic (I think). Don't know the brand - it was under warranty then.

I can't imagine ever running anything else now but the Mobil1 10W-40 4T Racing oil...I'm no racer (ride like an old lady, actually)... and I have no affiliation with, nor obligation to any oil company. Just sharing my experience and the source of my information - it's a VERY long posting (I think it's over 50 pages), but it appeared to me the man was highly-knowledgeable and very generous about sharing what he knew.

Try it. See what you think. Share your findings.

Best wishes,
George

#10 ·
Today I did my oil change using Amsoil 10x40 and a K&N oil filter.

This filter has a nut on it so it is very easy to change. Also make sure you clean the magnet on the drain plug and inspect the oil screen. You will need a 10mm for the oil drain plug and a 14mm for both the screen plug and screen.

My first oil change I had one small shaving. Today the screen was clean and just a couple small splinters on the magnet.

Stew

#13 ·
I always use Mobil1 but I have a dry clutch.
I believe it is important to avoid Car Oil if you have a wet clutch due to some of the additives.
I go for quality rather than frequency and Mobil1 has a good reputation over here.

#16 ·
That shouldn't be the case. It has been almost 20yrs since the last time I felt any transformation after changing oil, coolant, or brake fluid. Tires and brake pads are different, but if you're feeling a change in performance after a straight fluid swap, something is not right. I felt some changes when trying different brands in one of our car's transmissions, as it took three different tries to get rid of the notchiness, Redilne MTL, FWIW.

Please note that I like extended drain periods (10,000mi no time limit and 6k in the Duc eventhough I would say these vehicles see the severe side of maintenance schedule).

Just my opinion.

#17 ·
Hm... bike runs, looks, smells, attracts, feels, (etc.) better than new. You can't sit there and tell me that you feel NO difference after changing the fluids. Can ya? Seriously?
You need to be one with your bike... Close your eyes. think... feeeeel.... visualize...

All together now.
Ooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. aaaaaooooowwwwwwwwww

#20 ·
8P I hear ya. I believe I have a sensitive butt dyno, and . . . nuthin' there. The ST was transformed after the valve adjust. It was transformed after the K&N and airbox chop. It was transformed after the quiet clutch mod.

Oil change, nah. Same with clutch and brake bleeds. The coolant was done with the valves, but I don't think coolant smoothed out the lower rev band or enabled the engine to start up easier.

If you are feeling changes with straight fluid swaps, I would send it out for analysis, cut down on the interval, or change brands quickly. The only thing you should notice are bloody knuckles or a lighter wallet. Again, just my opinion and experience.

What I like to visualize is the oil corsing through the supply lines 2sec after startup, feeling the ignition pulse in my chest, and going for a nice weekend ride. But, right now, I'm just visualizing my ST in good shape again (it was a rough Friday).

Have a good one.

#21 ·
No changes?

So, Tony, it sounds like your experience (or maybe just your opinion?) is that all oils are the same, that there is not (or "should not") be any perceptible difference, even with viscosity differences? Ever? Hmmmm.

Refresh my memory, please - did you say you had actually tried this and found no difference?

BTW, it had only been 4,000 since the last oil change - didn't notice any difference after that one, just as you say, but of course I hadn't switched to Mobil1 at that time.

Oh, well, I guess everybody's experience can be different, eh?

Pura vida!
George

#22 ·
The only transformation was when I switched to 10w40 Amsoil and the K&N oil filter last year oil change.

The dealer used 20w50 and my bike had some surging.

2000 miles later, smooth from 3500rpm to 4500rpm in all weather conditions. Not to say I have 4000 miles on it now and it is still breaking in.

I also put in water wetter and it runs a good 10f cooler. Lighter oil will remove the heat as well. Plus the manual calls for it.

Just changed the oil and no difference from what I could tell.

#23 ·
Sorry, I think I might not have stated this as I intended to.

Please, let me try it this way. I used the term 'straight fluid swap' to mean that if I personnally feel a performance difference of any kind after an oil change, say draining M1 15w-50 and filling with M1 15w-50 after 6,000mi, I would be very worried that I was doing, or have done, something wrong. Then, I would be trying to consider if it was a issue with the brand/weight or if I waited too long.

Of course, I do very much agree that changing brands/formulations/weights may, and hopefully should, show some performance gain of some kind, even if it is simply extended drain intervals. Like I said, it took three different MT oils to finally sort shifting problems in our car.

About 20yrs ago, it took a while longer to get around to an oil change that I would have liked (maybe 4k instead of the typical 3k). The difference was shocking and disturbing using the same oil before and after. M1 was a boutique brand at the time, but professing 25k intervals. I was looking forward to the day that I could possibly go that long. Today, 10k is a happy medium (6k for the Duc of course).

Looking back at this thread, I see that you and Kramer said similar things, although your statement was about a brand/weight swap where Kramer didn't state this. That was the reason for my statement. Sorry for missing the quote in my post.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Have a good one.

#24 · (Edited)
Guess I wasn't clear either.
Tonered, I got what you were saying.

From my perch...
I have never varied from 10W40. And I have always used M1 MXT 10W40. Until the last change where I used Amsoil (MAN that stuff is expensive!). Simply because I could not find another suitable oil when one was due.
So the question.
Does an oil change "transform" the bike? No.
Have I had other issues related to shifting, running smooth, etc.? No.
However, I CAN feel a difference, however slight it may be. I can just tell. Same in my cars/trucks/toys. And I am religious about maintenance. Maybe it's a placebo effect. But whatever it is, it makes me feel good.

Correction, I did have trouble finding neutral once. A clutch bleed fixed things right up.

Anyway, I know when I walk into the local auo parts store they start bringing up the "recycled oil" screen on their computers. "How many quarts today Kramer?" (Plastic kitty-litter jugs are perfect for this task. I always have one or two handy.)

Ride-on my bretheren. And keep the oil, coolant, clutch and brake fluid in check. Oh and don't forget the chain and those tire (tyre) pressures...

#25 ·
Okay. Apologies all around then. ;) It sounds like we were all on different paragraphs of the same page.

I may have to try some dino oil for a week on the ST just for grins. I'm sure I'd have something to report. But then, I'm also sure the ST would throw a belt or bend a valve out of disgust.

I wonder if API engineers read threads like these and just laugh.

Have a good one.

#27 ·
Making amends...

Brother Tony - I was a jackass and I regret my surly response to your posting. It took me a while to get over having to be right, and I see your point about an oil change not being the grounds for a "transformational experience". I've been thinking about what you said, and I agree.

Now I wonder why I felt the difference when I hopped on my bike - perhaps the previous "dealer standard" oil just isn't very good - or very appropriate - for this bike. The fact that it runs so much better may be a tell for the prior oil.

Again, my apologies.

George

#32 ·
Brother Tony - I was a jackass and I regret my surly response to your posting. It took me a while to get over having to be right, and I see your point about an oil change not being the grounds for a "transformational experience". I've been thinking about what you said, and I agree.

Now I wonder why I felt the difference when I hopped on my bike - perhaps the previous "dealer standard" oil just isn't very good - or very appropriate - for this bike. The fact that it runs so much better may be a tell for the prior oil.

Again, my apologies.

George
No problem. It's all good.

It is a bit of a testament that you are seeing a positive change. If you use the same oil on the next change, I hope the feeling stays the same.

Have a good one.

#28 ·
Shell Rotella-T in all my 4 Stroke Dirt Bikes and Shell Rotella Full Synthetic in all my Street/Race Bikes.
This includes 999's 998s' and FZR400's :D

The Full Synth Rotella is the closest you will get to the Shell Ultra sticker placed on the case of just about every Ducati sold (that oil is only available in Europe)

BTW.. You can find it at Wall mart or PepBoys at a fraction of what all that other fancy pants "motorcycle" oil costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.