Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to attend a track day/class soon. I'm looking at getting some leathers. However, outside of the fact that none of them are cheap, what do you guys wear and what are some of the better brands?

I would rank my priorities as:

Protection
Comfort
Design (I don't want to look like a power ranger if I don't have to.)
Cost
Two or one piece

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some track day organizations don't allow two piece suits. If yours does then thats not a problem. I have an Alpinestars suit. Got a close out deal on the previous years model. If you can go somewhere to try them on great. If you do mail order deal with someone you can talk to on the phone that knows what they are doing. You want it to be snug, it will break in some. Some suits may fit you better off the rack than others. I am short and stocky,big boned or in reality fat. I have my mothers ass and thighs, thanks alot mom. So I had some issues getting the proper fitment. The second one fit pretty well and it is breaking in nicely. I bought mine from Motostrano and they were great to deal with over the phone and gave me no grief exchanging things around till I was happy. Good luck. Ken.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you get a jacket/pants with a 3/4 zip from a quality manufacturer, you'd probably be better off in a crash than if you were wearing a 1 piece suit that cost $400...Look at the cheap stuff after a crash and it'll scare the shit out of you when you see how many seams came apart.

I wear 2 piece as most of my riding is on the street and I'd feel like a poser hanging out in a one piece after the ride...

On the other hand don't be surprised at the price of a quality 2 piece... I have 2 Dainese. One is a perforated Bora and perforated P-101 pants for hot weather...$1300. The other is a non-perforated Bora and Dragon pants that set me back $1500 including the spine protector.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using MotoGP kangaroo leathers. They cost me about 900, and work very well. Even been crash tested once, 60+ mph lowside. They're still usable, too. (most of my body slid in the dirt, but the arm was on pavement) I would recomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
i' was in the same field as you, wondered the same thing about 2 weeks ago. the answers i say because i feel more confident now as a rider, but i went medium cost and recommend paying for as much as you can affort (in terms of quality)

street-go two piece leathers, also i ride with a leather jacket, always a back protector, and always (unless 1 or 2 miles) riding boots, and gloves in the 100+ range. what you wear also depends on what you mean by street riding. communute...or race but on the street? if you wear jeans buy the kind with knee and hip pads, or do like i do and by thick jeans, buy strap on skateboard knee pads (tougher than most people understand, spend some time on a half pipe and you'll know) and sow in some football pads for hips.

track-go one because all tracks accept it. as for brand, most that you find are good, but the cheepest ones are a bad call. for example tecnik makes a good suit, but only their top end on, their cheep ones are poor. Joe rocket you can get away with a $800 dollar suit. Icon tends to have higher prices all around. Comfort? comfort/fit varies from person to person. regardless of comfort makes sure the elbow, knee, hip, and back pads in your suit are snug and don't move. when tring on you suit crouch like when your're on your bike, thats how you'll use it and that's where you'll decide what is comfortable. suits $850 and up.

design is you're choice, by that i mean look. see above on the company brands.
Sidi is a great boot (i even bought one), you ought to buy a boot with ankle support that won't let it roll. your boot price range should be $260 and up

gloves are odd, big difference between the $50/80 and the $100 ( i settled their because for a one time fall which ='s good enough). between the $100-150 not a big difference, between the $100 and 180+ a big difference.

yes i over did the question. but just for the record there is no such thing as a coincidence, you make fall at 100mph in the cheapest gear and run away laughing, or you may fall in $3000 worth of gear that saved your to a life of a broken spine. nor is their such a thing as probability or odds. sorry i alway over do things

1 - 5 of 5 Posts