Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Score! >:)

I was thinking to replace my old Joe Rocket mesh jacket with leather on the sleeves since the leather is sweat rotted. Found this in my size (Medium) on Craigslist for $20 and snatched it up. Looks like new, I don't see any signs of wear. It says Joe Rocket Ballistic Series on the sleeves, but the inside label just has care instruction and says 100% polyester.

There are smaller zippers just inside the main front zipper, so I think it originally came with a liner for rain. Has velcro "belt" to tighten up the bottom edge, velcro closures on sleeve ends, and the same back protector, elbow, and shoulder pads as my old jacket. Does not have the short zipper to attach to the pants, I will move the zipper from the old one.

If anyone knows the model I'm just curious. Looks like it is probably a few years old. The outgoing one is > 10 yo I think. If anyone has the liner laying around and wants to get rid of it, let me know. I now have an extra never crashed set of the padded "armor" if anyone can use it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yes, I think they called it the Ballistic Touring jacket, and the rain suit zipped on the inside. I bought my for $20 also at a Goodwill type store without the rain suit zip in. Nice jacket, flows air well,...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The least expensive new ones are over $120, so $20 is nice.
After further inspection, looks like it had the 7" zipper to connect to pants, but someone cut it off.
No big deal to sew on the other one.
Fits a little loose in the elbows. Need to figure out something to pad it out for closer fit.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look like worthy products. The jacket has the usual JR armor. I am thinking of stuffing in maybe a piece of milk jug in a sock or something, on the outside of the armor, to tighten up the fit at the elbows. Any better cheap ideas are welcome. :laugh:

·
Registered
924 Posts
If anyone knows the model I'm just curious. Looks like it is probably a few years old. The outgoing one is > 10 yo I think. If anyone has the liner laying around and wants to get rid of it, let me know. I now have an extra never crashed set of the padded "armor" if anyone can use it. :)
IIRC, the JR mesh with leather sleeves was the "Atomic" jacket. Pretty sure the one you pictured is a Phoenix jacket. It isn't the 5.0 version though. I have the blue version of the same jacket hanging in our gear closet. My wife got it sometime in the early 2000s if that gives a clue to its age...

I used Bing to search and entered Joe Rocket Ballistic Mesh Jacket. It came back with images of the very same jacket you pictured...sean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Early 2000's, that is when I recall buying it but the inner rain jacket made it the "Touring" model as I remember? Mine has no leather at all so it might be older or a cheaper version.

The slide safety specs of that jacket is marginally better than non motorcycle jackets, but those thin pads are surprisingly effective. It is great for warmer climates. Go ahead and get the elbow armor, riding in the city is not just about the slide, there is always stuff to bump into during a crash. That fabric stretches a great deal so either of those two elbow pads will fit but never ever put the jacket in the dryer when you wash it, air dry only!

For comparison, a broken elbow or arm will cost you five grand at the hospital, $39 will seem like a pretty good deal then. Just pull out the original elbow bit and slide either of these on your arms before putting on the jacket. These are good kit, and years of technology ahead of what's in there now.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Early 2000's. Maybe it's older than I thought. It's in good shape though, so no matter.

Those look like good protection, Rock. But the idea of the mesh is to not melt into a puddle of sweat.

I have a Z custom suit that is my best protection, but when it is 90 plus degrees, black leather is way too hot, even with the zipper vents open. Plus leather just does not get along with sweat too well. Also have a textile Joe Rocket Survivor suit. With the liner out is is cooler than the leather but not as cool as mesh. With liner in it is warmer then the leathers. I pick my gear for the day mostly based on the weather. For a road trip I would take the survivor, it is most versatile.

Anyway. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Early 2000's, that is when I recall buying it but the inner rain jacket made it the "Touring" model as I remember? Mine has no leather at all so it might be older or a cheaper version.
The mesh jacket with the leather sleeves was called the Joe Rocket Atomic jacket.

I've no idea about any kind of "touring" edition based on the liner. My wife bought the one we have in late 2002 or early 2003. It came with a rain/wind liner but that was it.

We bought an insulated liner for it later at Laguna Seca during a WSBK weekend in maybe 2004 or so. We later got an XXS womens jacket that was exactly the same in armor and color in the OPs pics.

That one was a Phoenix jacket but was probably a couple years old when we got it for my son. It was on close-out at some online clearing house. He was 10 at the time and it fit him perfectly. It too came with a rain/wind liner.

Good thing too, it got put to good use at the first INDY USGP in 2008.....sean

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mesh jacket with the leather sleeves was called the Joe Rocket Atomic jacket. .........sean
The leather was maybe not such a good idea, it was pretty thin, and has melted down. Just falling apart in the wrists area. :rolleyes:

The underlying mesh was fine, I taped the bad leather. Glove gauntlets covered it. But it was a little embarassing stopping for gas on my beautiful Ducati and taking off my gloves to reveal the poor boy tape. :laugh:

·
Registered
924 Posts
There was a period of time when Joe Rocket was compromised by a high volume of counterfeit gear. Seriously, when one looked at it, it looked just like the real deal. Until you looked closely and you'd see threads unraveling on collars, zippers and sleeve seams. Right on the rack at the shop. There was a court case and all but it really damaged the name for a time.

The stuff we got was real deal Joe Rocket and exhibited none of that sort of thing. I point that out because it is possible that some of the better counterfeits might have gotten past scrutiny and you may have ended up with one. There are still a couple of Joe Rocket jackets I've been looking at over the last couple of years....just never seem to be able to find my size when find a jacket that I like on close out......sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts