Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my shiny new Motomfg steel rear wheel nut socket has arrived, and thank god it has because damn I need new tyres... Anyway, what I don't have is a breaker bar to undo the 230nm nut (which seems VERY tight...). I wondered what size bar you guys use to undo that nut? Seems I can buy one in lengths varying from about 30cm to 100cm, not sure what I'll actually need to get the leverage required? Appreciate any advice.

Cheers all,

Tom

·
Registered
472 Posts
24-36" with a cheater bar or, for roughly same price, an electric impact gun from Harbor Freight. Maybe $50.

I've had mine for more than 10 years and it still works like a champ.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use and electric impact wrench to remove the rear wheel nut and a very large torque wrench to tighten it back up. It helps to have it in gear and sometimes I need someone to apply the free brake as I tighten it.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I have a 5ft hollow steel bar that my brother in law gave me. He uses them to remove the wheels on his race car. I slip it over a 24" 3/4 breaker bar with the same Motomfg socket. Pretty anti climatic.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use the 4 foot hollow handle off my low profile jack, over a 2 foot cheater. With my wife sitting on the bike holding the rear brake, in 6th gear. My impact wouldn't touch the nut.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I ended up having to use an impact wrench to remove it last month (I don't like using an impact wrench though it probably doesn't hurt anything)... didn't have someone to hold the brake so with a bar I was just spinning the wheel. Normally a 24" bar does the trick (with a helper on the brakes).

·
Registered
853 Posts
230 nm = 170 lb-ft

needs a 57 lb. force applied to a 3 foot long lever (100 cm)

needs a 34 lb. force applied to a 5 ft long lever

etc.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I prefer using an impact wrench to a breaker bar...what's your concern?
I like the workout I get with the steel bar. After the wheel is off, I'll do a few curls and overhead presses with it...:smile2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's not the length of the breaker bar that's important, it's keeping the wheel from rotating while doing it. If I'm doing it on my own, it's the game of twister trying to push the bar while pushing in the brake lever.

Get an impact for removing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I suggest impact wrench off, torque wrench back on. Worked like a charm for me. Just loosened the nut before I lifted the bike. Didn't need any brake applied.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
over tightened?

hopefully yours isn't too tight.above tips should suffice,longer the bar the better, unless its over torqued to get the safety pin aligned.if that is the case you may need a 3/4" drive impact-1500 ft. lbs. of torque + use nitrogen not compressed air.if you don't have access the Gubellini stand has a horizontal bar that when installed onto their stand will prevent the rear wheel from turning.see pic.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I prefer using an impact wrench to a breaker bar...what's your concern?
As I said... I'm sure it's all in my head. With a bar removal is brief but relatively gentle 'break stiction' followed by smooth rotation, with an impact wrench it's a bunch of jarring (and pretty hard once you have the wrench set up stiff enough to actually free the nut) hammers on the nut and through the nut to the bike.

I've messed up sockets and/or nuts before so I know what sort of damage that hammering can do... and since it's not force I'm applying myself it's not really 'in my control' like with a bar.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, lots of great advice! Thanks all.

I haven't really looked into the impact wrench side of the house before. I don't know that I'm overly keen to spend a couple of hundred $$$ on that when I can get a breaker bar for $30.

Would a cordless impact wrench be likely to do the job, or need it be an air/corded one? A cordless one might not be too prohibitively expensive, but then again that nut is probably the only thing I'd ever use it for!...

·
Registered
869 Posts
To get the torque required out of a cordless impact wrench, you get into the $400+ price range, I wanted one, but couldn't justify that.

I have am air impact wrench, but saw Guy Martin, (fairly famous Ducati tuner in Canada), using the one in my video, so I got one from Home Depot. It's worked flawlessly so far.

Another slight advantage of the impact wrench, you can keep the socket located on the nut nicely, once you start using long breaker bars, you get further away and it's easier to to mess up the nut as the socket can twist off a little.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Wow, lots of great advice! Thanks all.

I haven't really looked into the impact wrench side of the house before. I don't know that I'm overly keen to spend a couple of hundred $$$ on that when I can get a breaker bar for $30.

Would a cordless impact wrench be likely to do the job, or need it be an air/corded one? A cordless one might not be too prohibitively expensive, but then again that nut is probably the only thing I'd ever use it for!...
Some of the new cordless impact wrenches pack a lot of force... not sure they can yet match air though and the rear axle nut is a bit of a beast. Maybe the high end cordless units could do it. Judging from how hard it came off with a good IR 1/2" wrench I doubt an inexpensive pneumatic impact wrench will work either.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
Now I've been told by mechanics that an impact wrench is the better tool for the job. Reason being, the short impacts tend to loosen corrosion while a breaker bar can just shear off the bolt. I would imagine in the case of the rear wheel nut, you may run the risk of damaging the threads rather than shearing the axle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I've been told by mechanics that an impact wrench is the better tool for the job. Reason being, the short impacts tend to loosen corrosion while a breaker bar can just shear off the bolt. I would imagine in the case of the rear wheel nut, you may run the risk of damaging the threads rather than shearing the axle.
That's an interesting rationale. Does make sense too.

I've managed to sign these out from work...

So I suppose I'll try my luck with the breaker and go down the impact route if it's all too difficult... :/ Fingers crossed the threads don't get sheared, because I'd like to ride this weekend!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
my s2r has single sided. and I needed 5 feet but what was more important was the 6 sixed socket
the multisided socket just didnt do it. its the not points that need to catch its the sides.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Impact wrench is your best bet. I just did mine and had absolutely no luck with 2 breaker bars. My impact wrench got both sides off in less than 5 seconds each.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts