Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of metal are the Brembo brake and clutch master cylinders made out of?

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Brembo Goldline or Brembo Radials?

Goldlines will most likely be cast Aluminium.

Radials will be 6000 or 7000 series Aluminium.

Why? Are you trying to re-anodize them?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was thinking about re-anodizing them. I really don't like gold, so I thought about just stripping the anodizing off and doing a hard anodize in the standard color. Only problem is, how do I get the plastic pieces out?

·
Registered
835 Posts
good question, i need to redo mine as well, wonder if i'm better off just buying new ones..

maybe powdercoat them, then paint the letters?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm going to replace mine eventually... I'd rather have the billet radials personally than spend money refinishing the stock ones. Plus they look sweet. I'm not sure if the stock ones were intended to be rebuildable.

·
Registered
319 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
Yeah, I was thinking about re-anodizing them. I really don't like gold, so I thought about just stripping the anodizing off and doing a hard anodize in the standard color. Only problem is, how do I get the plastic pieces out?
You MIGHT not have to touch the inside parts. Some professional chemical processing places, MIGHT be able to mask off exposed parts and plug the holes. This way, you might be able to just re-anodize the outside without having to touch the inside..

-Fariborz

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I just had a handfull of parts ano'ed. My Shop Danko in Santa Ana, is all computerized and I had to identify what parts were what type of alum. I wanted some of the stock ducati cast alum parts ano'ed and they told me it would look like crap afterwards. Since there is no way to tell the computer what grade of cast alum its made from. The guy told me 6000 series, soaks for 15 min and 7000 series up to an hour, if I mixed a 6000 series into a 7000 series bath, it would destroy the metal. Thats why they wont ano cast alum, they cant tell how long to soak it before the acid eats the metal. He said If I want it done to cast, Its my fault if it comes out FUBAR. Cast ano can come back, pitted with a flat finish.

What other options do you have?

Powdercoat
Polish
Paint
Radials

Powdercoat looks too thick for my taste on the brakes.
I used high temp high gloss black caliper paint on the Calipers, you have to disassemble them and then bake the paint to cure it, but it looks good and not too thick. I would consider this as an option for your masters.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Powder coating also retains more heat than anodizing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you use radial masters without using radial calipers?

·
Registered
406 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
Yes, of course. The "radial" masters have nothing to do with being "Radial". They merely have the piston at a right angle (perpendicular) to the handle bar. The stock configuration is parallel.

The important part, is to properly select your master cyl bore size to match the fuid pressure you need at the calipers. I'm sure Fred Renz at Yoyodyne can help you there. He sells all the diff pieces and will know what bores work with what calipers.

You have some minor difficulties getting your front brake light to work. I recommend the retrofit kit that uses a microswitch. Some people use the banjo-pressure switch, I personnaly think they are less attractive. And some installations take quite a bit of lever pull to trigger the switch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
Yes, I have radial master with OUT radial calipers.
I also have the banjo fitting brake light switch (GoodRidge)and it works flawlessly. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts