Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what people out there have tried and either liked or disliked for their track going 916/748 superbike (with OEM non-Ohlins forks). I've had Racetech gold valves forever and have never really been satisfied. I mean...I prefer the '05 Gsxr-600 forks on my SV650 to the front end on my 916; it has gold valves as well, but is much more compliant than the setup on the Ducati. I may be looking to try something different...

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I raced my first 916SP, which had Showas, I installed Gold Valves and Ohlins springs (Showas are too stiff). The results were pleasing and the bike felt good on the track.
I then in my wisdom and eagerness to spend as much money as I could on the damn thing ( I had upgraded the engine to 996SPS by now), decided that R&T Ohlins were the way to go.
I can honestly say the difference that I felt was negligable. Lap times did not improve at all but I should clarify that I was not one of the very fast guys out there and in that respect there could have been a whole lot more that the R&T's could have offered someone with greater skill.
I am now in the process of rebuilding that bike out of the storage boxes with the original Showas as the R&T's were sold long ago.

The reply's above about the Ohlins internals sound like that is the way to go.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I am getting that feeling that I should look into the Ohlins internals, if they are still available for such an old bike. One of the things I have trouble understanding about my suspension is why when the correct springs have been fitted to get the optimal sag settings that it just feels so stiff. I have felt other track riders bikes - which have been setup appropriately, and they just don't feel so non-compliant. This bike felt like this with the stock setup as well as the Racetech setup; it's a problem I've always had with this bike: need to have the compression adjuster turned as far off as possible and it's still rigid and harsh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts