Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This too is my answer. Just bought a new car to stave off the temptation of being a beta tester. 3 more years or so of car payments and then the V4 MTS. OMG the tech and power. Someone is going to to have to create a new forum section. It'll have all the same problems plus a few new ones as they roll out.

I'm sure focus groups and marketing people judged the street fighter to be the best non-sport platform for the V4, but joke's on them! More MTS people will clamor for the V4 and generally have more money to spend. Purely anecdotal. OK, just me, but there might be more of me...
If I was in the market for a bike with that kind of power, I'd definitely get the StreetFighter before the MTS. Much better looks and handling, fits me better, yeah. I came pretty close to getting a 1098SF, and might still do it.

OTOH, I've spent the last 26 years on M900 carby Monsters, with 75hp, and very rarely find myself not having enough power. With decent foresight and smooth riding, I find myself not getting left behind on the road until speeds well past what is reasonable in public. That's why I'm looking more to the 939SS; it's got a great balance of characteristics, and more than enough power and performance for real life.

I'm not ever going to be racing for anything real. I do trackdays now and then, and the M900 has been fine for that. If at some point I become inclined to get a faster bike for trackdays, I'll probably go with a 1098SF, or a good 998 -- either of those would be plenty of fun and well fast enough for the purpose.

PhilB

·
Registered
179 Posts
For me, my realistic next ducati will be either the multistrada 1200 or the streetfighter 1098. There are many pipe dream bikes for me but with having 4 kids and a single income those are my realistic options. But I'm not ready for that. I'm happy with my hypermotard 821. I'm about to do a dry clutch conversion this weekend ......hopefully.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been off this site for awhile and now back. Happy with my 2017 MS but looking at the 2020 1260 MS Grand Tour than the 2021 V4. Really haven't had any problems with my MS since buying it but like the new dash and upgrades with the newer model

·
Smut peddler
874 Posts
I'm with you on the practicality scale. I have a few dream bikes that I'd love to own but will likely never even see in person, much less sit on or even buy. My next Ducati... 90s Monster or a Terblanche era Supersport. Both, if I get the Monster first.

I can find either one in decent mechanical shape but a little less pristine in the body work department, for not a great deal of money. I think possibly an S4RS at the top end of the scale and anything in the late 1990s model years Monster 900 at the lower end. Supersport anywhere in between....but closer to the 1990s model years Monster than the S4RS.

Promised my wife that I'd finish at least one other project bike in my garage besides the 900 SS I'm currently working on before buying another Ducati though. It'll still be fun....I'm resto-modding my old oil boiler Suzuki into something it ain't....after that, comes the next Ducati..........sean
I'm going to be asking you a lot of questions at the next WCM. I really want to do a build from a gen 1 monster. Something wierd, like a superbike front end swap kind of thing. As I was explaining it to guys at my last track day, a guy said it sounded like I was explaining a sport classic, and it would be way easier to go that route. I told him if he knew me, he'd know I don't do easy (well, maybe at last call, but not otherwise). Then a guy showed me pics of his naked 916 with a 2v 1000 mota, and I fell in love. So don't leave your bike out of sight next year...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought my next Ducati a couple years ago. A Triumph Thruxton R. The bike that Ducati should have built.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
@PhilBoncer - You se like the perfect candidate for a PP multistrada. Not in your wheelhouse?
I don't like the whole Adventure Bike aesthetic. I'm also somewhat inseam-challenged, and don't want a bike that tall. I looked into the MTS, as well as the Aprilia Caponord, and a couple of others, but it's not my bag. The new SuperSport is a lot closer.

I'm thinking sport-tourer. The Moto Guzzi Norge is a possibility, or the Griso (although it's small tank range is a minus). The KTM SDGT 1290 is a possibility on the gonzo side, although it is a bit more adv-bike-like than I want, and I also have no assurance it will last as long as I want -- I don't see any KTM riders that put over 100K on their bikes. The Motus was almost ideal, but they went out of production. I need to test the Kawasaki H2 SX SE. Other than that, the Ducati 939SS is my leading contender.

PhilB

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
I don't like the whole Adventure Bike aesthetic. I'm also somewhat inseam-challenged, and don't want a bike that tall. I looked into the MTS, as well as the Aprilia Caponord, and a couple of others, but it's not my bag. The new SuperSport is a lot closer.

I'm thinking sport-tourer. The Moto Guzzi Norge is a possibility, or the Griso (although it's small tank range is a minus). The KTM SDGT 1290 is a possibility on the gonzo side, although it is a bit more adv-bike-like than I want, and I also have no assurance it will last as long as I want -- I don't see any KTM riders that put over 100K on their bikes. The Motus was almost ideal, but they went out of production. I need to test the Kawasaki H2 SX SE. Other than that, the Ducati 939SS is my leading contender.

PhilB
I absolutely love the new SS, I've ridden it and everything feels just right, but I haven't really looked at the forums to see what problems current owners are dealing with. But for me it just doesn't give me anything that my current bikes don't already do very well, so it would be redundant. If I didn't have the bikes that I currently have I'd look very seriously at it. and at 6'2" the multi is a good fit for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Current is air cooled 696 Monster, a bike I bought on a whim and really surprised me with how much fun it was. Never thought I would own an air cooled bike again, but this presented itself as a really good deal so I thought why not. Plus as an previous owner of about 30 bikes, none of them has been a Ducati so now my list is complete.

I had previously written off the 1st gen Hypermotards when the liquid cooled gen came out. But after driving this air cooled Monster, I have changed my mind. There is something here, and there is something special about these air cooled 2 valve relics. I have come to like the feel and the sound and the 696 wasn't as slow as I expected.

Realistically, a 1st gen Hypermotard is my next Ducati. Possibly a 796 as they are cheaper and lighter and I'm not the kind of guy who needs wheelie power, but if the right 1100 pops up, I'd nab it. Newer gens like the 939 look nice but they are too big, too expensive, too complex and have too many issues. I comb Craigslist as a hobby and buy at least 1 new bike a year... so, soon...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm going to be asking you a lot of questions at the next WCM. I really want to do a build from a gen 1 monster. Something wierd, like a superbike front end swap kind of thing. As I was explaining it to guys at my last track day, a guy said it sounded like I was explaining a sport classic, and it would be way easier to go that route. I told him if he knew me, he'd know I don't do easy (well, maybe at last call, but not otherwise). Then a guy showed me pics of his naked 916 with a 2v 1000 mota, and I fell in love. So don't leave your bike out of sight next year...
I dunno if I'll be riding the 996 to the 2020 WCM....I'm hoping my Supersport is ready for the trip so I can ride that. If not, then the 996 it is.

I imagine though, if you really, really wanted to do it, there are plenty of SBK frames available that aren't write offs to start a build from. Front ends too. Also, recently I saw a DS 1000 engine from a 1000SS for sale...though I'd probably look for totaled Multi 1100 as you'd likely spend the same money.

Did this nekkid you fell in love with have a SSSW or the more conventional double sided affair? I'd imagine you'd use the SBK swinger though....for the ride height adjustment at a minimum...........see you WCM!!........sean

·
Smut peddler
874 Posts
I dunno if I'll be riding the 996 to the 2020 WCM....I'm hoping my Supersport is ready for the trip so I can ride that. If not, then the 996 it is.

I imagine though, if you really, really wanted to do it, there are plenty of SBK frames available that aren't write offs to start a build from. Front ends too. Also, recently I saw a DS 1000 engine from a 1000SS for sale...though I'd probably look for totaled Multi 1100 as you'd likely spend the same money.

Did this nekkid you fell in love with have a SSSW or the more conventional double sided affair? I'd imagine you'd use the SBK swinger though....for the ride height adjustment at a minimum...........see you WCM!!........sean
It was a 916 frame/ front, not sure if the swinger was a stock unit or not (it was a sssa). Dunno what it takes to make that work with a 2V, but as sure as I know that we didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor, I know that bike was sexy AF. Add it to the list, dude.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts