Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Not sure if this is the correct location for this topic, but here we go!

There are a few threads going about Dream bike, Win the lottery bike, et al. But, I'll ask a practical question: what is your next Ducati?

I have a few Dream ones myself; 250 Mark 3, 750 Montjuich, 851, 888 SPS, 748R, and Desmodeci RR are on that list. I looked at a Montjuich once, and thought It's too nice to use. Then, in my hesitation, it sold. <Insert regret here>. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have them, and ride them, but for me, this list is not realistic. Hence, the moniker Dream/Lottery bike.

So, my next Ducati is probably a `90`s 900 SL. Although I`m leaning toward the 400 SS as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm waiting for the V4 Multi (2021?) and/or the Scrambler X. Will make do with what I have until then.
......although I'll bite on a Desmodeci RR at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm a daily transport rider. I've had a couple of M900 Monsters that have carried me for the last 26 years, but I'm doing more traveling now and carrying more stuff, so I need something more in the sport-touring vein. I'm thinking my next bike will be a shiny new 939 SuperSport S. Red.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya PhiBoncer, an old ST 3 or 4 was on my purchase radar, but I already have a bike that fits that role perfectly.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yep. Here's a pic of a recent trip on my Monster, from NH to MN, for a job project. So I've got everything packed there that I need to live and work away from home for months at a time. I may need something that has more luggage capacity.

PhilB

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
When I bought my S4RS a couple of years ago I did so believing it would be my last bike. I chose it from my bucket list. It has not disappointed. I plan on upgrading it to make it my dream bike. Of course, should I hit the lottery...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If I ever completely lose my mind - about 90% of the way there now anyway - and break my vow to never, ever buy another Ducati - it's a love/hate thing - I'd have to go with the Diavel 1260.

I've had my eye on the Diavel lineup for years and the 1260 ticks every single box I could think of for a power cruiser. The stock stubby exhaust was the clincher for me. Throw some SHAD hard bags at it, and it's kinda/sorta a tourer.

Until it breaks down out in the middle of nowhere, that is.

But it's a kinda/sorta tourer at least heading out. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm with you on the practicality scale. I have a few dream bikes that I'd love to own but will likely never even see in person, much less sit on or even buy. My next Ducati... 90s Monster or a Terblanche era Supersport. Both, if I get the Monster first.

I can find either one in decent mechanical shape but a little less pristine in the body work department, for not a great deal of money. I think possibly an S4RS at the top end of the scale and anything in the late 1990s model years Monster 900 at the lower end. Supersport anywhere in between....but closer to the 1990s model years Monster than the S4RS.

Promised my wife that I'd finish at least one other project bike in my garage besides the 900 SS I'm currently working on before buying another Ducati though. It'll still be fun....I'm resto-modding my old oil boiler Suzuki into something it ain't....after that, comes the next Ducati..........sean

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
I just bought one of my dream Ducatis, a 900SS bevel. My next Ducati is up in the air and honestly until this year there hasn't been a new Ducati that I've wanted since the Multi that I bought in 2011. I love the new SS but I doubt that one will be it, it's just a little too common. I'm going to look real hard at the new streetfighter and see if it lights the ol' barbecue. If that doesnt bowl me over I will look at the V4 Multi next year. My 2011 MTS is approaching 50,000 miles, I keep thinking that I'm going to need to replace it sometime soon but every time I ride it I think why buy something else, this bike is still fantastic!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I have twelve Ducatis right now and they all get used fairly regularly. I go back and forth on a D16RR and have come close a couple of times.

My inclination is to get another track bike like another 916 Corsa or 996RS or even an 888 Corsa but I have three 748RS's plus a 916SPS that's set up for track and an AMA superbike winner 955 Corsa from Ferracci so it's kind of like, "when am I going to have the chance to use another one?" But I don't know when I would get to use another street bike, either, so who knows.

I recently bought an RS parts hoard from a team and it includes an unused Pierobon frame built for Ruben Xaus World Supersport championship run with Ducati in 2000. I think I might make a sweet long term project of building it up into something special. But hard to know right now.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Oh Sherpa, there's a DD16 on Ebay right now with a starting bid a $34K and a BIN of 39ish
I looked at that bike as it's local. It has needs. And financially speaking, a D16RR with needs makes a supermodel with a designer drug habit seem like the girl next door who splurges on girl scout cookies once a year.

That said, I have been known to be a bit of a risk taker...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Im thinking I will buy and older air cooled multistrada S model. One with the same DS motor as my hyper has. Will need it to have full bags/top case, full exhaust and open clutch cover.

Low miles would be a bonus. This is a bike I could easily work on and maintain and would meet my sport touring needs.

Or a 1098s Tricolore/1198S to replace the one I sold....or both(strada and 1098) if I come into some money.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
I'm quite happy with the 900SS/SP I have, have no desire for another Ducati. But a bevel SS sure does look appealing. I'll see what happens after my Norton project is complete.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,224 Posts
As long as we're dreaming here I think if I were ever to get another Ducati it would most likely be a 1098S Tricolore. Can't say for sure why,there's just something about that machine. It's seductive alluring siren song calls out to me.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I'm waiting for the V4 Multi (2021?) and/or the Scrambler X. Will make do with what I have until then.
......although I'll bite on a Desmodeci RR at a reasonable price.
This too is my answer. Just bought a new car to stave off the temptation of being a beta tester. 3 more years or so of car payments and then the V4 MTS. OMG the tech and power. Someone is going to to have to create a new forum section. It'll have all the same problems plus a few new ones as they roll out.

I'm sure focus groups and marketing people judged the street fighter to be the best non-sport platform for the V4, but joke's on them! More MTS people will clamor for the V4 and generally have more money to spend. Purely anecdotal. OK, just me, but there might be more of me...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts