Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been emailing with a recently become ex-SC owner and he has already started to regret it.

I reckon bigger and better and more beautiful motorbikes may indeed come along but the only sure way I have worked out to not have motorcycle regrets is to buy every bike you desire and to never ever sell any of them.

I'm regretting selling my last Kawasaki 1970 H1A 500 triple at the start of the year...but I did have eight of them at one stage...so selling the last one wasn't too painful

I regret not buying that yellow 750 Sport in 1984. I bought a Kawasaki z1000 Eddie Lawson Replica instead for $1000 more - and sold it last year for NZ$5500.

I also regret not selling the ELR to buy the silver blue 900SS Imola in 1986...what was I thinking?

But my best and biggest motorcycle regret......not buying the completely original Brough Superior 680 JAP Black Alpine off the second owner....damn that was a biggie....

I'm interested to see what others regret letting go of or not purchasing....not only may it ease some of the suffering of those amongst us but it may convince some NOT to sell

cheers
Kelvin

·
svc.bmh.mc
192 Posts
Selling my mint condition 1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninja in 1987 to gather up money to marry the first wife. Sheeeesh.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I waited too many years to start riding again.

B

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
Not getting those last four states before I wound up married and with a kid. The goal was the Continental 48 by the time I was 40, and I only wound up with 44 states (2 Canadian provinces and Mexico).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Selling the first street bike I ever owned - a 1977 Harley XLCR Cafe Racer I bought new on my 16th birthday.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not getting one sooner!!

... I didn't think I liked motorcycles until I saw a picture of the then-new Sport Classic in 2005. Got bit hard by the bug! Been working on adjusting my position in life such that I can afford a yellow Sport 1000 ... It's coming along steadily – far enough now that I bought my first bike this summer, a 2007 model Suzuki DR-Z400. And man do I regret not getting a bike sooner.

I pop in here and read the forum from time to time to keep myself motivated. Enjoy your rides, guys!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Still got my SC so no regrets other than buying 2 other newer ducs that aren't half as reliable. Other bikes are faster but none as pretty or as much fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ah well ... touchy subject. I had a chance to buy a pristine RC-30 with only 3000 miles on it back in 2004 - for 14k. Just saw one at Pro Italia's Cafe Desmo event that the owner was selling with an asking price of 30k. Probably the same damn bike, too. :mad:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ah well ... touchy subject. I had a chance to buy a pristine RC-30 with only 3000 miles on it back in 2004 - for 14k. Just saw one at Pro Italia's Cafe Desmo event that the owner was selling with an asking price of 30k. Probably the same damn bike, too. :mad:
You know you can't get parts for an RC30 anymore, right?

My biggest regret is crashing my BMW R60/5. It was my only transportation for years and my soulmate!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Selling my pristine 1983 GS1100ED after 15 years/35K miles as the original owner only to find out 3-years later that the person I sold it too left it rotting next to their apartment building rusting into an oblivion.

Upon learning of its fate, my wife said, "No more selling bikes. We just keep them all."

Yes, she is a keeper :)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Not getting one sooner! I've had the bug all my life but always caved to my ex-wife's fear-based protests not to get one. Now I'm making up for lost time and loving every second I straddle her (my GT1000...not my ex-wife).

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
258 Posts
Selling my 1981 900ss bevel 2 years after buying it new. Paid $5600 new. sold it for $4500. Also like to have that 1971 Lotus Elan back.........and that Benelli 750Sei........and the Rover 2000TC..........and..........but the 900ss was my favorite. Fortunately, my Bella Dona 1000s has the same "feel". It's just all better!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Getting the insurance involved on my 01M750 instead of rebuilding it myself as the damage wasn't that bad. New rear brake lever, clip ons, turn signals, brake light, and right Sid footpeg and footpeg mount and I would still be riding...

Stupid deer.

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I still kick my self over not buying one of my Grandads Manx Nortons.
Can you believe he had 4 of them.
2nd regret not buying my mates Ducati GT750,it could have been mine for $2000 back in 2006.
Luckily owning my GT1000 has somewhat lessened the above regrets.
Here's a pic' of my Uncle on the Norton looking pretty cool at the Isle of Mann TT.
Here's a pic of the $2000 Ducati:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Not following up on a Morgan three-wheeler with a JAP motor hanging off the front. It was abandoned on a city street in the 1960s and after collecting a bunch of parking tickets on the windscreen the city towed it away, probably to be auctioned. Not a bike but close enough.

·
Official Retired Person
7,551 Posts
I regret having to sell any of the bikes I've ever owned. Nothing really special in the group just what I thought at the time, were fun bikes. A 1958 Jawa 250 Californian, 1960ish Honda 'step through' 50, 1964 BMW R-69S (later with a Jawa sidecar), 1968(?) Triumph Daytona, 1977 BMW R100RS, etc.

The only one I never did sell was the 1973 BMW R75/5. Second owner and it sits on my garage. Unrestored, maintained as original as possible and in excellent running condition, thank you very much! Truly, an old friend.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How many is too many?

My biggest bike regret is; selling my tricked out sport 1000. Not because I was passionate about it (and I was) but because I sold it 2 years before their value exploded. If I'd waited I would've avoided a $2k loss and probably made a $3k profit : (

Nah not really. The tight-arse in me is tempted to 'regret' this situation but truth is I was ready to be done with that bike and to start enjoying the bike(s) I replaced it with, so the loss was worth it.

I am tempted to regret selling some of the other bike's I've been truly passionate about tho. There are odd times when I'd like to have some of them back, but if I'm honest the reasons I sold them still justify their sale. They all became unsuited to my ever-changing preferences/needs in one way or another, or were just reaching a point in their age/mileage where they were likely to start costing more time/money than I wanted to keep putting into them.

I've fantasized about having the $$$$ to be able to own and keep every bike I have a passion for, but I've since become convinced it's not worth it. The cost of owning and maintaining them all in ready-to-run condition is silly, even if you can afford it, because it only takes having a few before you reallize you have more bikes than you have time to ride.

Unless you want some kind of non-functioning "collection" there seems to be lots of hassle and little value in owning a shitload of bikes too. An un-ridden bike decays worse than one that sees regular moderate use (seals dry up...). I know people with more bikes than they can ride with any regularity, and even though they are very careful in their 'storage' regime they frequently end up with major dissappointments when they do find the time to ride. This is because their cherished possesions tend to suffer seemingly premature mechanical problems frequently - all due to "storage decay". Having less bikes that get ridden more often = less hassles and more smiles per mile.

I 've made a wish list of all the bikes I honestly believe I could make good enough use of to justify keeping in "ready-to-ride" condition. Thats 5, and the only reason it's even that many is because they are all distinctly different in the function they provide i.e.

1. a dirt bike - for 2-wheeled family time with my boy
2. a track bike - to satisfy the speed need
3. a prized street bike - for bike nights and sporty street rides...
4. a street utility bike - for errands/touring... anything that just racks up miles
5. and a 'project' bike - for "tinkering" with

Any more than this and I reckon that rather than owning lots of bikes the bikes start to own you.

Some people are sure to be fine with that tho.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts