Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

what is this thing capable of?

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  amullo 
#1 ·
Hey all.. new to the forum..

I have this sitting in my driveway.

it is my wifes cousins bike that he is lending to me during the week. My previous bikes are as follows.

2003 suzuki Hayabusa - Yosh exhaust - PCIII
2004 Suzuki GS500F
1999 Honda CBR 600 F4 - Yosh Exhaust
1996 Kawi Ninja ZX9R

I am wondering how this thing would stack up againts my old busa. I know this thing will out corner it for sure... but in a straight line, how does this thing do? Like what kind of 1/4 mile times should I expect?

It has the following done to it.
Type S suspension
Temi full race exhaust
PCIII - race map
New intakes
Dry race clutch
toothed down and toothed up
Race rubber.

See less See more
#2 ·
It makes about 100 to the wheel. It will be quick, but your busa should def be quicker than it. The bike has more grunt than top end so it really will not stack up well to many bikes in a straight line.

#7 ·
Not really either. Mostly just hated college. Started with local surveying companies, working in the field and taught myself AutoCAD. The rest is history and hopefully one of these days will be REAL history.

With the amount I've taught myself, had I put that effort into photography, graphic design or something else, I'd have fun at what I'm doing and make a crap-ton more doing it. I'm about ready to get back to school in Chicago for art and design...

#8 ·
Sweet man, that's awesome. Hey, you have to end up doing what you will love and what will make you happy. I went back to school to do something completely different from my major, but I will be happier. To make this connected to the thread; what do you think the 749D will do in the quarter?

#9 ·
I don't think there would be any comparison between a Hayabusa and a base 749. I mean, thats like comparing a base BMW 323 to an M3, in terms of power. The 749 will handle better because its based on a race-bike platform, but even a modern stock inline 4 600cc machine will completely destroy a 749 on the straights.

#26 ·
I don't think there would be any comparison between a Hayabusa and a base 749. I mean, thats like comparing a base BMW 323 to an M3, in terms of power.
I say more like comparing a 323 to Viper! I've riden a 749 on the track (road circuit) and it was a blast. You can carry a ton of speed through the corners and keep up with much faster bikes. For quick acceleration runs the Busa should kill it. I say should because I've riden with some guys on R1's and the top end power scared them so much (as it should) that they would short shift to keep the front end down and I'd be on their tail on my ST4s well into triple digits. In the last 2,000 RPM those big bore 4 cylinder bike make massive power! The 749 on the other hand is a very friendly bike to ride. It inspires confidence and has no nasty habits. It's seemed to have a pretty even power curve; not as much low end grunt as larger Ducs but could be revved 10,500 RPM. There is no rush of power up top, just a continued linear power curve. The published 1/4 mile times I've seen range from mid to high 11's, which seems about right. You're not going to get near the 10's on this one, but it was never designed to be a drag racer.

#14 ·
what would be interesting is your opinion after a week riding.most ducs are slower than 4cly bikes they are compared to.but they are rewarding in other ways(steady power and solid handling).post up your thoughts after getting some miles on her

#16 ·
I think it does have the S type forks (keep in mind that the 749S type forks are showas with TiN coating, wich are the same as the base 999 forks)

Exhaust I don't know for sure, but I don't think the S came with a full exhaust (different from the normal that is ofc ;) ). Did it?

#17 ·
I have a 999 w/ full Termi's, geared and a PCIII custom mapping. I rode along a "kid" and I mean kid....120lbs soaking wet, on a Busa...who could barely reach the bars. Of course in a T-shirt, jeans, sneakers and ....helmet.
He led and we had little acceration contest.....I wheelied in first, snicked into 2nd gear..hit third and the rev limiter..needless to say he was waving goodbye!!! beat me like a rented mule.....and kept going to I'll bet 150mph....maybe faster! Yikes..I thought I would at least stay w/ him a bit longer. But I had a Ducati in all it's carbon fiber, magnesium and L-Twin engine so I didn't care at all.....but the outrageous speed of the Busa was astounding, I couldn't help but grin.:D

#19 ·
Ah... the old brain-power vs. horsepower race...

Don't fool yourself for a minute. You beat him hands down!:D

#25 ·
OK... you can take a straight-away really really fast... then what?

A four year old can gun a bike down a straight-away. I contemplated a Busa, then changed my mind once I tried one. It just didn't feel like my Duc. Its like riding an Orca.

Its all a matter of preference. My Duc wasn't built with the drag strip in mind. I don't think any Ducatis are.

Its fast enough to remove your flesh and smear your organs on the pavement, should you let it.

That's plenty fast for me. My bike corners like a dream and is powerful enough to catch me off guard. Sure, its ONLY a 748 but they'll surprise you once in a while. I just didn't want a Japanese bike this time. Nothing against them, its just preference. To each their own, just be safe. Just because your bike can easily do 200MPH doesn't mean you've gotta flex its muscle. That's why the insurance is insane on the Busa. A few friends and family have been hung up, one killed, on bikes much slower than the GSXR. Whenever I see a kid fly by a Busa, let alone any bike, I cringe and hope they have good health insurance and that WHEN they biff, they aren't killed or take anyone with them.

#27 ·
the busa is made for going fast in a strait line.. they dont compare.

i like the 323 and viper comparison.

pretty much everytime i gas up my Ninner somewhere someone comes up to me and asks me "how fast does it go?" or " how fast have you had it up to?" I think most people not informed to sportbike riding think in terms of strait line speed.

i think its naive question... its not the top speed.. its how fast do you get around a track... and not an oval one with banking :)

#28 ·
i think its naive question... its not the top speed.. its how fast do you get around a track... and not an oval one with banking :)
Yep, top speed doesn't really mean shit, if your a good rider. Heck just came back from a track day sat and I was the 3rd fastest guy out there on my 749R... The top guy was an AMA racer who was only a few tenths quicker on a jap liter bike. :cool: He'd blow past me on the straight, but I'd catch right back up on him by the 1st corner under braking.

#30 ·
i had an 03 base 999, then an 04 base 999, then an 05 base 999, then my current 06 999R... and i dont know if its the same difference from the base or S 749 to the 749R... but in the 999... it was night and F'ing day.. go get it on the track ... NOW! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.