Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Shorai battery in my 1098 always shows 12.6 or about that before cranking the engine. I always crank it, wait, crank, wait about 5-6 times until it finally hits 12.8v on the rebound and then it always starts.

It’s not that cold where I live and I’m not sure temp is the main fault here.

What do you guys have?

·
Registered
502 Posts
It may need a charge and conditioning with the correct charger. Did you let it discharge, then sit for some weeks? Also, your bike sounds as if it may be out of tune? It shouldnt take so many attempts to light.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,071 Posts
Sounds about right. I’ve got 3 Shorai out in the garage and they are all about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Is it really a problem to be concerned over 0.2vdc ?? Especially when the batt's voltage is well above 12.5vdc???

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When 50-60 degrees F, (10-16C), I have found Shorai's work best when you switch it on - headlight comes on, leave it on without cranking starter for about 15-20 seconds, then start. Warms the battery up or something like that. Shorai's website even mentions this procedure.

OP is doing the same thing only using the starter and headlight to put load on the battery, easier to wait a little while using the high beam. This is unlike a normal battery.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes. Shorai FAQ page:
:
"LFX™ batteries should be recharged whenever voltage drops to 13.1 volts, or sooner. If you have a vintage, custom, or off-road vehicle which has NO draw on the battery when key is OFF, then you should only need to charge your LFX™ battery once a year. However, most modern street bikes have a draw even when key is off, to support clock, computer, alarms, or other devices. This draw will eventually drain the battery, which is damaging and could void your warranty. So if you are not riding twice a month, then you should charge the battery every few weeks."

That, plus the marginal charge listed by the OP may draw the battery down too far during his repeated starter motor cranking. If it falls below the minimum voltage needed for the ECU to send signals to the ignition and fueling system, the bike is dead in the water. I believe the DesmoTimes manual covers this subject, as may historic posts on this Forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are LiFe, Lithium Iron Phosphate. I have used them for years in RC airplanes. Nominal voltage is 3.3v per cell so they should always be at least 13.2v. Granted I have had some issues with tuning on mine but i have had issues keeping it charged and it starting the bike successfully every time. Going to withhold judgement until I get my issues worked out but a little disappointed in the performance. Although when it is fully charged it turns over really well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may need a charge and conditioning with the correct charger. Did you let it discharge, then sit for some weeks? Also, your bike sounds as if it may be out of tune? It shouldnt take so many attempts to light.
I had one like this and thought it was a bad battery, then returned it and got another one. Same issue.

What do you mean by out of tune? I bought a high mileage bike with a rectifier issue so it wouldn’t surprise me. Once the voltage hits. 12.8 though it starts no problem, and stays about 14v while running.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Grab a Shorai charger to top up, then condition the battery. When you switch the bike on, it should read somewhere in the 13's. Fo bike tune, what year, miles and service history on the bike? A bit more info is needed for a relevant discussion.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
...What do you mean by out of tune?
It's a response to what you said about bumping it over 5-6 times before the engine fires up. I think there's a misunderstanding between what you wrote and a few readers. They may take your comment to mean that you must hit it 5-6 times before it fires ... but if I recall you said you do that to "wake up the battery" or some such thing. So it's taken that the engine may not be in a good state of tuning (carbs, ignition, timing, and such) which requires several hits on the starter to get it to fire up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where are you measuring the 12.6V? Under load (lights on), somewhere at the cockpit, with 6ft of thin gauge wire, a fuse and a relay between the measurement and the battery? Or at the terminals with no load.

If it's the first case it isn't surprising that the voltage is low. Measure at the battery terminals, it should be at least 13.2 with ignition off, and not too much less with it on.

Why does your bike take several attempts to start? If mine doesn't fire up at the second try at the latest I start taking things apart..

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Why does your bike take several attempts to start? If mine doesn't fire up at the second try at the latest I start taking things apart..
... see my post right above yours. I don't think "it has to take several attempts to start" ... I think he purposely bumps it several times to "wake up the battery" .. so to speak. And then hits/holds the start button to fire it up.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
There are other load tests of Shorai on the net, all claim CCA are below normal batteries but in this short clip you can see the Shorai recovering both voltage and CCA on the 2nd test. I wish this guy had done one more test - I think it would show it going into the 130's as the battery "warms up". Shorai's are weird, and get unreliable when cold outside.

And this page at Shorai;
"Lithium battery performance will increase as the case becomes warmer. In colder temperatures, a second load test will deliver a better representation of how the battery will perform under starting conditions. "

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
If you spend the $$ on a Shorai and do not also purchase this (or an equivalent):

Then you might as well do this:

I installed a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 when I did my rebuild in 2011, mainly for the weight savings. When not riding on a regular basis it spent the entire time on the charger, e.g., over the winter. It ran flawlessly until this spring when it refused to hold a charge and was replaced. In 8 years it started 1st or 2nd try... always.

Whenever one of these LiXx threads pops up I am left wondering what else could be the problem, because in my experience these things are pretty much problem free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whenever one of these LiXx threads pops up I am left wondering what else could be the problem, because in my experience these things are pretty much problem free.
Same thing but not as convinced its the shorai charger. I had one but it fell off the shelf and broke and havent used it in years.

I went through a few traditional batteries on the MV Agusta (Yuasa and the like) and got one of these because they are more shelf stable and the smaller bat meant I could relocate the tool kit on top of it to make more room in the "trunk."

That was in 2012, I finally had to replace it after forgetting to recharge it at least once over last winter.

Put one in the Ducati and will likely replace my battery in the Guzzi with one when it goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
... see my post right above yours. I don't think "it has to take several attempts to start" ... I think he purposely bumps it several times to "wake up the battery" .. so to speak. And then hits/holds the start button to fire it up.
Or I just turn on the ignition for a minute before I try and start the bike when its been outdoors in the cold (which is really rare since Im dating a girl who also has an attached garage). The current from the ignition, headlight, etc warms it up.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Or I just turn on the ignition for a minute before I try and start the bike when its been outdoors in the cold (which is really rare since Im dating a girl who also has an attached garage). The current from the ignition, headlight, etc warms it up.
I understand that. I was addressing the fact that several people have asked "why does your bike need to be cranked 4 or 5 times, is it in tune?" .... while at the same time the op is asking why people yhink his bike is out of tune. His bike is not out of tune, and he doesn't "need" to bump it over several times to make it fire (because it's not tuned well) ... it's a procedure he has elected to use to wake up his battery. Clearly there is a breakdown in communication ... I was just trying to clear it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts