Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What is the 'rotten egg' smell??

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bruce19 
#1 ·
Hi,

My '02 998 decided to not start anymore during the middle of my first track day. I was able to jump start her again and everything was fine. Came home and put her on a battery tender for a couple days hoping that would do the trick, still no luck.

My question is, now when I try to start her, a funny smell that can only be described as 'rotten eggish' comes from just under the gas tank area. Any idea what is causing that smell? I'm assuming the battery is shot since battery tender doesn't even work to recharge it, but is it suppose to emit that funky smell, or did something burn up? It happens after I press the starter button, for about 3 seconds. The engine won't turn over, seems like a 'weak' starter, and then the smell comes.

Any ideas?

Much thanks in advance..

#8 ·
Since it seems we might have some "chemists" on this board, I'm gonna ask.
For the last year or so, I've noticed a strong "rotten egg" smell outside of my house when the wind is blowing a certain direction. I have never been able to pin it down. Is there a "natural" source that would make this smell? I live in a coastal mountain range and have a lot of giant redwood trees nearby.

I'm also an ex-mechanic and have lots of experience watching batteries explode. :eek:

#9 ·
Yes, being that you're near a coastal mountain range, sulfur springs in your area could be causing it. I'm not a chemist per SE but I have a lot of chemistry background in college ;)

PS- volcanoes scare the shit out of me and so does any other form of geological unrest- just saying.

#11 ·
Hey. After you install a new battery, check the charging voltage across the positive and negative terminals while the bike is running. If the regulator is overcharging, this will also give you that smell and could explain why your battery puked in the first place. Rev the motor while in neutral, you dont want to see anything above about 14.4v.d.c.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.