Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some for the the rear of my tank to avoid the belt wear, etc. Right now I have masking tape on there... :eek:

I've read good things about the 3M film/tape, but I'd like to know exactly what the product name is of the stuff you guys are using so I can call a few places locally and inquire as to availability...

Thanks!

(Also I don't suppose anyone has a template they used for cutting the film? I know it can't be too difficult, but that'd be sweet...)

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I use number plate background from a motocross shop a pack of three sheets is cheap and they come in a bunch of colors. Exacto knife works great to cut. use a blow drier to install in the tank to smooth it out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I used this guy

http://www.cleararmour.com.au/

Paul Contarini is his name....top bloke and loves his bikes.

He does work for my local Ducshop.....and will post worldwide....tell him Roger sent you and you want it for FREE !!!!

The secret is in the cutting out.....he uses a laser plotter to cut the pattern......and you apply it using a mild solution of baby shampoo & water in a spray bottle so you can move it around to position it perfectly and use something like a credit card wrapped in a soft cloth to remove the bubbles.

Good luck Roger

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just purchased some of the "Snider's Paint Guard" from Aerostich last week, as I noticed I was starting to scuff up the paint a bit from getting on and off the bike. :( Cut to fit, and it's re-useable. You get 3 huge sheets for $14.

http://www.aerostich.com/snider-s-paint-guard.html

·
Registered
600 Posts
Here is an old thread regarding the 3M film. PIcs of mine are on the second page...
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=2482
X-pel.com is one of the few vendors online that sell the film bulk. I've tried some other tape manufacturers products but 3M is proven. It's on my Audi and my Van for 10 years now with no yellowing, etc.... Easy to make a template. Just lay a piece of paper on the tank and sketch the edges. A lot of things you have around the house may be the same roundness as the back of the tank. No matter. Cut it rough and trim it perfectly prior to removing the backing. It stretches and easy to install. Get a spray bottle and fill it with half distilled water and half alcohol to spray the glued side and place it one edge first and with squeegee in hand, squeegee the film out to remove air bubbles. If you screw up, peel it back spray more solution and try again. If you purchase a couple of feet of a 12" roll you'll have plenty for this job and you'll find a lot of other uses, such as all those that are probably on your car where door and hatch bumpers hit the paint.

I simply covered the rear of the tank with a 4 inch wide piece and the top of the tank about 4 inches from the back, just enough for when I lay on the tank.

Hope this helps.

John

I'd like to get some for the the rear of my tank to avoid the belt wear, etc. Right now I have masking tape on there... :eek:

I've read good things about the 3M film/tape, but I'd like to know exactly what the product name is of the stuff you guys are using so I can call a few places locally and inquire as to availability...

Thanks!

(Also I don't suppose anyone has a template they used for cutting the film? I know it can't be too difficult, but that'd be sweet...)

P

·
0 Posts
I have used the "TankSlapper" per-cuts for years now and can highly recommend them.

There may be a bit of confusion between the actual TankSlapper "static cling" material and the 3M material. TankSlapper the company sells their pre-cut kits in both materials. Read the "Tankslapper" film vs. "3M" film comparison.

I have NOT used the 3M film.....

You also might want to check out my "TANKSLAPPER INSTALLATION" page. I have some hints as to how to install the TankSlapper film on a cold day.

Lucas at TankSlapper is a GREAT guy and has always been a huge help. I had him make up a #16 "meatball/roundel" to go on the AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS I sell. I have a few of these for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much for the feedback guys! I ended up ordering the Tankslapper film kit. I went with the "Sport Classic" choice for my '06 S1000, although there was also a "Paul Smart LE" choice as well...I thought all the tanks are the same...regardless of year, PS, or LE options? :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks very much for the feedback guys! I ended up ordering the Tankslapper film kit. I went with the "Sport Classic" choice for my '06 S1000, although there was also a "Paul Smart LE" choice as well...I thought all the tanks are the same...regardless of year, PS, or LE options? :confused:
you might want to give Lucas a call at TankSlapper a call. I notice they list 3 different Sport Classics. The Paul Smart 1000LE, Sport Classic and GT-1000. I think the GT is a different tank but not sure why the other two option.

If you haven't checked out the TankSlapper installation page you might want to do that and pay attention to how to modify the 3M tool with a strip of Velcro. The video is very helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts