Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence. The '05 749R I'm buying has OEM '04 CF fairings and '03 OEM CF tail (off 999R) All mint according to the seller (no reason to doubt).

Now, as beautiful as that stuff is to look at; in reality, I would just box it up and shelve it about 95% of the time unless I had some reason to show it off. My last 749 was constantly blasted by stone chips and otherwise normal wear 'n tear, but I'd hate to see that on some mint OEM carbon, but I plan to ride the bike like it was intended to be ridden. I've got some track skins lined up, and want to get a set of OEM Dark fairings/tank for use on the street.

I'm conteplating selling it but can't seem to find any recent sales to guage it's value. A couple years ago, I know it would fetch a handsome sum. Anyone sold any recently or looking to buy some, or are the values that much in the toilet that I should just keep it?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I say if financially feasable, hold on to it. Even if it never turns out to be collectable or worth anything, you'll regret it.

·
comrade moderator
27,345 Posts
Yep...keep it. Mothball it and dig it our for special occasions...wedding, bar mitzvahs, that sort of thing.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Bought last year, from a 2004 999R, new (taken at 0 miles off a bike converted to race) OEM CF fairing, CF tail, two CF front fenders (OEM painted), mag headlight bucket, EUR2900, new price about 3x that.

I generally use an aftermarket, unpainted CF fairing, keeping the OEM for nice weather and nice roads.

Tom

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Bought last year, from a 2004 999R, new (taken at 0 miles off a bike converted to race) OEM CF fairing, CF tail, two CF front fenders (OEM painted), mag headlight bucket, EUR2900, new price about 3x that.

I generally use an aftermarket, unpainted CF fairing, keeping the OEM for nice weather and nice roads.

Tom
Interesting approach. Use the CF fairings for the street, but don't make them look too good because the street is an abrasive place to ride. I have another idea: Buy CF fairings to save weight, paint them a nice Ducati color and protect them with a clear protective paint on the frontal areas.
After struggling with standard urethane clearcoats (look great, but little stone chip protection), I tried 3M clear protective tape films. Two problems: 1), the tape doesn't conform well to concave/convex surfaces and 2), the tape edges catches dirt, which shows on a lighter color. The solution? Armor Coat two-part clear, which is sprayed on over the final color coat. Not cheap ($150 or so for the minimum quantity), but it works. My SS paint job is going on three years now with little/no stone chips, including the fairing area just aft of the front tire. Check them out at www.armorauto.com.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I'll probably paint them when the raw CF doesn't look as nice anymore.

The aftermarket CF fairings on my 999R are much lighter than the OEM CF, though part of that is the foam insulation.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
If you do decide to sell, I saw a set today on Ebay for $3K fyi, and that was without the carbon tail.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I tried for two months to sell my xx9 CF sides and nose on LA craigslist to no avail. Just to gauge the interest I dropped the price down to $150!!! They're used and have a bad paint job, but no interest!!! Very bad indication of the economy in LA.
Paint and use yours cause they take so much weight off the bike which makes for better handling, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I tried for two months to sell my xx9 CF sides and nose on LA craigslist to no avail. Just to gauge the interest I dropped the price down to $150!!! They're used and have a bad paint job, but no interest!!! Very bad indication of the economy in LA.
Paint and use yours cause they take so much weight off the bike which makes for better handling, etc.
I'll buy yours for $150 if you want. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hot damn I'll give you $200!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lol...I'll bite too....$500 for the lot!!!! (In this economy, that equates to $2.5k)
:D

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
You guys suck. I only have $150 :(

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy Shit! you went down to $150 for CF fairings? WTF are peple on Craigslist smoking!!! Where are these fairings you speak of?? :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts