Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gets asked all the time so just for conversation I thought we should see some prices of other bikes that many thought were destined to be cheap forever.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-vegas-motorcycle-2019/lots/

You may have to sign up to view them but there is something like 50 pages of bikes sold this month at a Mecum auction. There are some that are expected like the 750ss bevels selling between $70,000-$200,00 but there were also a number of bikes selling for money that surprised me. like all the little 50's and such that were sold for far more than they were new. Now do not take it that your supersport is gong to be crazy money any time soon but if it shows one thing that is that current prices do not always reflect future prices.

Fun to browse anyway.

·
comrade moderator
27,181 Posts
Those auctions prices are always unrealistically high. Bidding excitement gets the best of people and that's why there are auctions.
There's no way in hell a Hodaka 90 would ever sell for over $5000 in the real world, for example. But it did there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I follow these dudes from Los Angeles:
https://iconicmotorbikes.com/

They post often and just got back from Mecum, and knowing nothing about how that stuff works I learned quite a lot just from his posts throughout the weekend. It seems the prices at these "big" auctions are on the highest end to cover the fees. Mecum is 10% and I think there is another fee you must pay.

Iconic specializes in Japanese superbikes, and I believe they said there was a good condition version of a bike they have in as new condition back at the shop, that went for quite a bit more than they are asking for theirs.

It's all very interesting, low mileage is king it seemed like as well. They bought a couple crated Zx10s or something, got a GSXR1000rr or something with 5 miles on it.

Give'm a follow!

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw the Foggy monster at $12,000 and thought ... I have a customer who has not been able to sell his for $6500! Maybe shipping bikes off to the big auctions are the way to go.

I was shocked at the prices the little bikes were selling for, good for them I still don't plan on one but if you can get it why not?

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I was there and I was also at the Bonhams auction. In the interest of full disclosure, I have bought and sold a fair amount of sports cars at the reputable collector car auctions (RM-Sotheby's, Gooding and Company, and Bonhams), and admittedly have a lot of experience with that. I even sold a couple of cars for world records that still stand today.

I am not a dealer or any kind of professional buyer or seller. I am just a car and motorcycle nerd who really likes experiencing really special examples. I have my favorites which are keepers I've held onto and I have had some that I just like a lot and have to part with in order to try something else. So in the course of that attempt to build the right collection for me, there's been buying and selling. Also, because of the numbers involved, I have learned how to do proper due diligence on this stuff and while I can still make a mistake, I have a decent eye when it comes to inspections.

The one thing that people are always quick to do is point out that prices are - fill in the blank - based on a couple of numbers on the auction reports. Well, I have seen first hand some amazing cars go for top prices and I have seen some super crappy cars (to the experienced eye) go for really poor prices and watched people use those as measures of the market.

The same thing with these bikes. I thought I might buy something so I inspected the stuff I was interested in very carefully and, like everyone should, bid accordingly to what I saw and noticed. I didn't end up with anything new and in some cases, I was outbid by a very high amount.

The last thing that I will say about an auction is that if someone wins at an auction, especially a well attended one at one of the real auction houses like I mentioned, it means that you think that car or motorcycle is worth more than anyone else in the room, on the phone, or on the internet is worth. I'm not saying that there aren't deals but think about that for a minute and let that sink in.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol not an investor in any way but I am old enough that some of those vehicles were seen as absolute crap when new, and now given the fog of time and memory we get to laugh that "they sold for what?" lol. Makes you think of buying a few dozen of those cheap Chinese motorcycles and leaving them in the crate for a couple decades ..... No not really.

Years ago I was having drinks with Paul Smart when he visited the dealership about the time of the sport classic, the conversation turned to Mv Agustas. He sold them back in the day IIRC and he was not a fan to put it mildly. he spoke very highly of the race bikes that he raced against but said the street versions were not even close. Yet today the Mv agusta street bikes gain value based on race heritage. Much like most others.

It is always fun just to look and think wow I must be getting old!

·
Registered
87 Posts
i can remember when rc30 were 10 grand.
I remember as well.

A slightly used Rc30 sold for 25k while a brand new, never started Rc 30 sold for 115k, I wouldn't have thought there would be a 90k difference.

And how about 2 brand new Z50 Honda's in a crate, almost 45k, really?

Nice to see that Bimota Sb2 selling at 46k, one of my all time favorites.

And how about those two green frame bevels, one for 90k and the other at 250 or was it 350k, cant remember, I wonder if that was a record?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What's a Super Sport worth?

Only what people are willing to pay for them, that's what they're worth.

To those of us who grew up on them, or view them with some wistful youthful infatuation they could be worth considerable amounts of money.

To the youngster who is only interested in the latest and greatest, and is driven to decisions by the specs put out in magazines and websites? Not a whole bunch.

I agree with others sentiment about not giving too much credence to the prices paid at auction. You wanna know what a bike is really worth, look on craigslist. Find the highest priced example of what you are looking for and watch how long it stays advertised at that price.

If it's worth that much, it won't last long. If it isn't you'll see it there for weeks and watch the price reduce until someone finally buys. When they do, you know what that particular bike is worth in the real world.

I buy bikes to ride. I'd never drop a bunch of money on a bike I wouldn't take out and thrash on the back roads. Pretty much like any bike in an auction. If it were that significant, I'd hate adding mileage, and riding it like it was an egg.

Museum bikes belong in museums not in my garage. .... sean

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Well don't forget too that some of these bikes were in need of some serious, serious work and I don't think that the high bidders took that into consideration.

For example, I was thinking of picking up the 851 SP3. Well, the fairings were heavily altered with the signals filled it but turn signals on stalks mounted, the rear cowl was unoriginal, it had an extra vin riveted into the frame, the forks were leaking badly, there was a solid oil drip from the motor. I think it could be a great bike again but it's not going to be inexpensive to do that. So I bid accordingly. Someone else bid it up to a price in line with a properly sorted, original bike. By the time it's put to a proper working condition (even disregarding the fairing alterations and such), you will be at a price where you could have bought a pristine, almost unridden example.

I saw a fair bit of that. So don't forget that happens too.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’ve seen this time and time again. People who own a collectible car or bike see what a pristine or slightly different model auctions for, then adapt this as some version of what theirs is worth. I made a very nice profit selling some unrestored cars and bikes to people for stupid money considering the amount of work needed to make them pristine. High tide raises all ships , they say.

Reactions: steveb64

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And how about 2 brand new Z50 Honda's in a crate, almost 45k, really?
Makes you wonder if the crate came to the US via Columbia...:wink2:

Personally I would rater see someone drop $250,000.00 on a motorcycle than a painting on the wall. Motorcycles are more my thing so I say good for anyone making the big bucks selling and equally good for those buying. Most of these bikes will lead a pampered life and probably not see much service anymore, yes museum pieces. I like history and see value in having it around so for the small percentage who do get to collect high dollar motorcycles we can not own I thank you.

Equally we have to thank all the people who made these bikes valuable.
Those who designed them
Those who built them
The writers who sold us on the idea of owning them
And the dealers who convinced us we could afford them.
Owners who maintained and babied their bikes planning on never selling them, at least until the next obsession comes along.
Owners who did not maintain and abused their bikes, who neglected and destroyed. Thinning the numbers to make the remainers more important than they would otherwise be.
Speculators who care nothing for the materials but see dollars as something new turns old and will soon enough be an "investment".
Old eyed bikers who have the money and desire to try and recapture their youth as only a motorcycle can.
And Fresh eyed Youth who have great plans on what they can cut ,shop and make that old relic into.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts