Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 600 mile break in below 6k RPMs and then the subsequent 900 miles limiting me to 7k RPMs. I traded a 2008 S2R 1000 that I bought 4 months ago in on the SF 848 and I am extremely happy with the decision. The gain in power is noticeable even though I have to keep the revs low. I'll be riding all over the place trying to rack up the miles. I usually go for the bigger engine bike but considering I come from riding Harley's this is a nice increase. A friend of mine has a 2010 SF 1098 and he has a tough time riding around town or behind the inevitable slow person in the twisties, bike spitting and sputtering b/c all it wants to do is go all out. I'm really digging the wet clutch as well as for 1 it's something I don't have to bling and I do like it being quieter so I can hear the motor. I'm not yet sure which exhaust I'll go with but I'll be looking and reading here to see what folks say.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I'm so sorry. Not about your issues with break in, but the fact that since you live in Greenville SC you will be pestered into joining a ride with metalhead, desmodude, Gunter and others.

They will for sure be contacting you for a ride especially metalhead. Just say yes and entertain him for a while. They are all weird people, but great friends.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
And metalhead will be glad you have the SFjr because he only rides a miniscule FZR400 he named Fizzy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At first I was afraid this was going to be another SF848 bashing thread... but I'm glad to see you don't have "real" gripes about what I feel is a great motorcycle. I too came from a Harley Davidson, a 1200 Sportster in fact, and I'm just loving life on my first Ducati. I went with the 848 for a few reason, and in no order, but price, insurance, and what sounded like and was confirmed on my demo ride to be a great all around bike. I do a little of everything on mine, from commuting/around town riding, to 150-300 mile weekend/day rides, to soon a couple of week long touring trips and thus far it has proven to be the most comfortable, amazing to ride, and capable motorcycle I've ever owned. I've had liter bikes, from Japs to Triumphs, and my SF848 seems as capable if not more so then any other bike I've ever owned/riden. I'm curious what HD bike you came from as one of my gripes, after modifying it, was not being able to hear the motor, or my own thoughts in my head for that matter.

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an HD Road Glide - touring bike. My friends got such a kick out of me grinding the floorboards and the floorboard supports I finally took their advice and picked up the used S2R 1k back in February. One problem after another with the major one being that it needed a fuel pump (which I found used) and the other nit picks like things being incorrectly installed previously etc. A lot of small stuff that just irritates the crap out of me. I am a little OCD about this stuff I'll admit but the bike only had 3300 miles so I thought it was a safe bet. Moving on, I sold the HD earlier this month and then decided to trade the S2R back in on a new 1100 EVO but once I saw they had an 848 SF in Red in stock I was sold. I picked it up Wednesday afternoon and promptly scheduled my 600 mile service on Saturday the 30th. For $1k more in price I felt the 848 had much much more to offer. A friend of mine has the base 1098 version and complains about the difficulty of riding around town and in traffic and while it's a fantastic motor, I would rather enjoy the bike than fight it and if that means giving up ~20 HP and keeping about 5k in my pocket, so be it. I love it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got a HD 2010 Wideglide which is a really nice cruiser. It's gathering dust while I enjoy the 848SF which is more of a motorcyclist enthusiast bike in my opinion. No bling just solid performance.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Has your friend with the 1098 SF gotten the low-rpm fueling issues resolved? Once I finally fixed mine, I realized with much surprise just how much I had adapted to the sputtering low range and 3500 rpm flat spot.

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has your friend with the 1098 SF gotten the low-rpm fueling issues resolved? Once I finally fixed mine, I realized with much surprise just how much I had adapted to the sputtering low range and 3500 rpm flat spot.
I don't think he has had it looked at, would the dealer be aware of this? I'm not really familiar with the fueling issue nor how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
A friend of mine has the base 1098 version and complains about the difficulty of riding around town and in traffic and while it's a fantastic motor, I would rather enjoy the bike than fight it and if that means giving up ~20 HP and keeping about 5k in my pocket, so be it. I love it!
Looks like you found the right bike! Awesome. The 1098 is not for running errands ( I'm sure someone will disagree with me.)

My Sf stays on its leash... I trickle charger and is only let loose when there is mayhem to be done! I created that monster( loud pipe- tune,) sometimes I wish I could just throw a leg over and enjoy some scenery ... thankfully I have a mountain bike for that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My friends got such a kick out of me grinding the floorboards and the floorboard supports!

Yeah, I had the same problem on my Sportster, Nightster, in that I was always catching the foot peg and it had begun to make me a bit shy when taking tight turns and leaning to much into them. In the end the HD just wasn't the bike for me, but time will tell if the SF makes a good "touring" bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Absence makes the heart grow fonder

What I hate about my SF848 is it is I am 8k miles away from it and can't get back to her until December. Miss the girl

·
Registered
266 Posts
does anyone know if the fueling issues were just with the 1098 sf or does the 848 have the same issues?

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't had any fueling issues personally. I did just put the termi's/race ECU on which has totally changed the way the bike accelerates. I'm still adjusting to that but I still don't have a fueling issue.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
does anyone know if the fueling issues were just with the 1098 sf or does the 848 have the same issues?
There's fueling issues ... And then there are FUELING ISSUES ... which of these are you talking about?

Seriously, the SF1098 has the superbike engine with the 40-degree valve overlap designed for high rpm efficiency. The SF848 comes with a version of the 848 motor that has been given an 11-degree overlap for smoother low rpm running. The SF1098 will run like a typical Ducati superbike below 4500 rpm, and that means ... reluctantly. The SF848 should be better, but being a twin will never be as smooth or fidget-free at low rpms as some might hope or expect coming from other brands.

Beyond their normal behavior, either bike can have serious FUELING issues that are not part of their character. Get those fixed, learn to live with the 'normal' stuff. :)

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I had to help push start one today. That is what I hated about it :D

Turns out a bad trickle charger pigtail installation was the culprit and no fault of the motorcycle itself. At least I can say I rode one now. Nice bike but not enough power. It needs more athletic push starters or a downhill grade to feel as fast as a 1098 trying to get push started.

:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice bike but not enough power. It needs more athletic push starters or a downhill grade to feel as fast as a 1098 trying to get push started.

:D
Hey now, take it easy on us. I was no math wiz but I know that 1098 is a higher number than 848. ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I haven't had any fueling issues personally. I did just put the termi's/race ECU on which has totally changed the way the bike accelerates. I'm still adjusting to that but I still don't have a fueling issue.
Can you expand on your opinion of how the SF848 is changed by the Termi exhaust/ECU upgrades? I'm looking at buying that option and would like to hear some opinions. If this needs a new thread started I'll do that...

-Mike

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love all these reminders that the 848 is slower than the 1098...makes me wonder who's more worried about that.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
Hey now, take it easy on us. I was no math wiz but I know that 1098 is a higher number than 848. ;)
I love all these reminders that the 848 is slower than the 1098...makes me wonder who's more worried about that.
I guess that is what they mean by airplane jokes. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts