Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,290 Posts
PSA

Do your research and use earplugs.

It’s not the bike noise rather the ambient sounds that cause damage.

This is a documented widely known fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously^^^

I developed significant tinnitus about 3 years ago. It came on fairly quickly over the span of just a few weeks, and was almost a life altering thing for me, as far as my ability to work and enjoy life. Gradually I have become 'habituated' to it, because that is all one can do. There is no treatment or cure. I've always worn earplugs when riding (over 40 yrs), but attribute my tinnitus to activities in my youth, and the '3 M's' in my life, military, music, and motorcycles. As I type this both ears are doing their normal ringing. It feels like I'm always in a crowded noisy room. I would love to have one day of silence again.

Anyone who rides without ear protection is playing Russian roulette with their hearing.

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
I always ride with earplugs and still find the wind noise horrible, hands down the worst of any bike I have ever owned.
The PP screen helped but still nowhere as quiet as my RSV4 with a loud Austin pipe :crazy:

I ride is a multitude of different helmets, Arai Cosair-X, Bell race star, shoei X-14, all crazy loud even with plugs on the multi.

Next step is a set of the Iconic spacers on the PP screen.

For the guys that have owned other touring bikes; Is this issue common for this style of bike or just one that plagues the Multi?
I sold my 07 MTS 1100S mainly because of the horrible wind noise and helmet buffeting. I tried three different windshields, one was better but not good enough. Since I still wanted a bike capable of longer riding, I bought a nice 03 Harley Road King and its wind protection was far greater than the Multi but still annoying. In my case the solution was installing Harley fork deflectors, a couple of chromed (of course) pieces that looked like elongated triangles. They looked good and best of all, they solved the wind problem so finally, I had some peace and quiet. After a round trip to Death Valley, I learned the Road King was not a touring bike, far from it so I sold it and found the ultimate solution, a mint condition 08 Goldwing. Don't get me wrong, the Road King was a nice bike for day tripping and maybe an overnighter, otherwise it bordered on torture. The only thing it did better than the Goldwing was a better lean angle and hence more fun in the twisties on the big machine. However, I did some suspension upgrades to get it working well by installing Suspension Technologies shocks, new fork internals, and stabilization upgrades. I also upgraded the seat. Aside from a few nice upgrades by the original owner, the Goldwing needed nothing and came with enough electronic goodies to keep me on a learning curve for some time afterward.

I was going to pose the question regarding wind blast and noise issues to owners of the newer Multis. One look at that tiny windscreen made me think nothing much has changed, but I also thought maybe Ducati had some fancy wind blast protection that wasn't obvious to the eye. So, what's the consensus regarding wind protection on the Multi? In the case of the fork wind deflectors on the Harley had to do with not allowing the wind to go underneath the windscreen, over the tank, and in your face. The helmet design and quality is another factor and accessories like a variety of different and adjustable third-party wind deflectors are offered for the Goldwing, even though I have not seen a need for them yet. At the same time, I have not taken the bike on a multi-day ride either, long slab runs is a good test. The Goldwing was re-designed after about 18 years of the same basic exterior, makes me wonder if wind and noise protection was improved.

Wind blast and noise is a big deal to me. However, some days I would remove the windshield, very portable, and ride around taking in the whole environment, but on extended rides, the constant wind blast is energy-draining and no longer fun without wind protection, or at least wear a helmet with high ratings on noise suppression and head bobble. Another great "helper" in this regard was installing a backrest on the Harley especially for those times riding around without the windshield. On the slab you didn't have to hold the grips tight, you just let the wind blow you back against the backrest, a much more relaxing position.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Seriously^^^

I developed significant tinnitus about 3 years ago. It came on fairly quickly over the span of just a few weeks, and was almost a life altering thing for me, as far as my ability to work and enjoy life. Gradually I have become 'habituated' to it, because that is all one can do. There is no treatment or cure. I've always worn earplugs when riding (over 40 yrs), but attribute my tinnitus to activities in my youth, and the '3 M's' in my life, military, music, and motorcycles. As I type this both ears are doing their normal ringing. It feels like I'm always in a crowded noisy room. I would love to have one day of silence again.

Anyone who rides without ear protection is playing Russian roulette with their hearing.
I have these hearing aids that the VA set me up with. They produce any number of background sounds that the user may choose from. The one I use sounds like wind chimes, softly making metallic wind chime sounds. The frequency is custom tuned to my particular tinnitus issue, and it pretty well cancels out the ringing from the tinnitus. It took me a few days to grow accustomed to the wind chimes sound constantly and gently "clanging" but once I became used to it I found the hearing aids to be pretty effective.

I can also select other "chimes" for sleeping as well as set the volume.

I don't wear them very often because they cause pain in my ear canals. Especially when I talk or chew food.

Like you, most of my life has been centered around music (playing in rock bands), my military service and law enforcement service, and of course motorcycles.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is another vote for Shoei. I have a Qwest and RF-1200. I think the Qwest is quieter, but it is also a little bigger and weighs more. Check out the deals on Motorcycle Closeouts. I picked up my RF-1200 for $350 shipped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can report that my Shark RSI is a very nice, light, and quiet helmet. But I can also report that my LS2 Strobe is noisy (but its a modular design). I always use earplugs.

The major impediment for my use of other helmet brands is that I have to have a long-oval helmet or there is no hope of having comfort. That limits what helmets I can try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Schuberth C4 for me. A good quiet helmet. Bought last year to replace my aged and dropped C3.
At least Schuberth test for quietness. I also wear custom ear plugs and a thick neck buff to reduce the amount of wind getting underneath the helmet collar.

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
I have a couple of Suomy Vandals and Spec 1R circa mid-2000 models. Both fit and I consider them quiet. I was a Suomy follower at one time, owning nine of them at one point.

I watched a RevZilla helmet review some time ago and I can't recall if they were addressing the Arai or Shoei, but one of the two changed their helmet shell to more mid-range round instead of longer. That was done to fit more noggins. I've tried on both helmets (older models) and they just didn't fit right. Maybe the new shell will, maybe that is why the new Arais don't fit the OP? As much as I've always disliked the modular helmet's look when the chin bar is up, I now have a Goldwing for touring and looking past the looks and like the functionality of some modern-day modulars.

What caught my eye was the new Schuberth C3 Pro. A flip-up helmet with some nice improvements over the C3. The price got my attention at around $362. I have to take a further look at this helmet. My only gripe at the moment, unless the C3 pro is different, is you are stuck with their audio system. However, depending on sound quality and features, I saw there is a Schuberth C3 pro audio system listed for around $190, better than the $240 price quoted for the C3 model. Schuberth claims the C3 pro is one of the lightest modular helmets on the planet and coming in with less noise than it's predecessor (82dbs vs. 84dbs for the C3 - probably wind tunnel dbs), it also has a more aerodynamic outer shell with molded spoilers that push the helmet down, minimizing bobblehead. There are other improvements as well.

A quick look on FC Moto's website indicated the $362 price is for white and silver at this time. No way will I wear a solid white helmet, maybe silver. In any case, if I did buy a Schuberth C3 pro, that puppy is going to the paint shop. There was a guy on this website, he was a painter and did one helluva job modifying and painting one of my Suomy Spec 1R helmets. Unfortunately, I forgot his name and he got banned from this website some years back. Some of you guys know who I'm talking about, I know Scott would remember.

I went back to FC Moto's website and did some quick price comparisons with RevZilla. FC Moto prices are considerably less and that might be because FC Moto is located overseas and the site indicated you will be responsible for duties, etc. But, it looks like shipping to the USA is around $24. I have to look into these details later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the new Bell Star. Last helmet was also a Bell Star. Fits me well, it's fairly quite, had good ventilation and a good view/shield. Best helmet so far for me.

Seems most people don't like them as I don't see too many on the road though. Maybe it's the shape?
=======================================================================

I have a ST and the air hits me upper chest. I cut the stock screen down to get the air flow lower to relieve buffeting, but after all day riding, even the reduced noise is bothersome. I have speakers in my helmet for a radar detector, so ear plugs are not an option. I have another stock screen and I am going to try the Laminar Lip Touring screen to see if that throws the air over my helmet. I'll be trying it soon. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're wasting your money, I'm sticking with my trusty Bell

Remember the advert?

"If you've got a $10 head get a $10 helmet.
If your head's worth more, get a Bell!"

Nowadays, I have difficulty finding a helmet to fit my head properly, so if I want quiet, it's earplugs... More important to me that it fits.

·
Registered
435 Posts
..Harley Road King ..wind protection ..solution was installing Harley fork deflectors, a couple of chromed (of course) pieces that looked like elongated triangles.

Another great "helper" in this regard was installing a backrest on the Harley especially for those times riding around without the windshield. On the slab you didn't have to hold the grips tight, you just let the wind blow you back against the backrest, a much more relaxing position.
Do tell, please.. my 2011 FXDC Super Glide has a fork-mount windshield. Have yet to do a distance run, but that will happen in a few weeks and a thousand miles. Is there a fork deflector or gator to seal the windshield to the fork uppers or low triple clamp, that you know of? And the backrest was one for the rider's saddle? I have a two-piece, stepped saddle that will support by butt bone, the sissy bar is way back, for my wife to enjoy. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Schuberth SR2 and it’s the quietest helmet ever owned and is very pleased overall. Had both Arai and Shoei before. I think Schuberth are one of the few which specify decibels on there helmets.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts