Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I currently wear Arai Vector X, which I think is Japanese market only model. It fits my Japanese size melon well. I'm a bit surprised to read Arai helmet being noisy, because based on my experience, Arai seems to be the quieter one in general, but it must have something to with the way it fits certain shape of the head. I tried Shoei RF1100 which turned out to be super noisy, but I was told RF1200 is much quieter. I was once told that if I want quiet, I should look at Schuberth, so I tried it. It was indeed very quiet, but the fit was so bad that it was causing me headache within 15-20 minutes, so I had to give up. There are a lot of helmets, but it was pounded into me when I started riding back when that helmet should have Snell certification, that kind of limits my choice...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I see a number of hoods have some sort of ~noggin knot~ thing on the back ... a type of aero gadget? Looks like an aero mini-wing or something. What's that all about?

I've got my eye on this red RF1200 ... $500 shipped. I want a solid color, and something that will catch the eye of the "snowbirds" that flood our population every cool season (nearly 6 months long). Old folks that drive massive RVs and pickup trucks for hauling 5th wheel trailers. The pickup trucks are a sight ... dual chrome exhaust ~stacks~ up each side of the back of the cab, running lights along the brow of the windshield, dual CB radio antennas, giant chromed side view mirrors ... they look like semi-truck tractors! Many (most) don't drive very well and don't really look for motorcycles. Our population nearly doubles every year ... the flood starts around the beginning of October, depending on fuel costs and how bad the winter may be forecast every year. Then the game of "whack-a-biker" begins!

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I currently wear Arai Vector X, which I think is Japanese market only model. It fits my Japanese size melon well. I'm a bit surprised to read Arai helmet being noisy, because based on my experience, Arai seems to be the quieter one in general, but it must have something to with the way it fits certain shape of the head. I tried Shoei RF1100 which turned out to be super noisy, but I was told RF1200 is much quieter. I was once told that if I want quiet, I should look at Schuberth, so I tried it. It was indeed very quiet, but the fit was so bad that it was causing me headache within 15-20 minutes, so I had to give up. There are a lot of helmets, but it was pounded into me when I started riding back when that helmet should have Snell certification, that kind of limits my choice...
Having put some more thought into it I dont think the helmet loudness is entirely due to the helmet. But wind turbulence is much higher. .
I think what most has influenced noise level on the new arai is the size of the helmet, leaving aside the windscreen on the bike since the other helmet I have (Suomy) is quieter.. That being said my old quantum is also more quiet but it fits more snug, same size

·
Registered
55 Posts
Curious to know how it works for you

"Got a ten dollar head? ... Wear a ten dollar helmet."

Kenny Roberts.
Personally, Id take a helmet with more safety features/ratings over a more expensive helmet. Id rather have a MIPs Bell helmet over the Corsair-X

Also, just thought id point out, I'm quoting you, quoting a quote. :wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used Schuberth modular helmets for a long time now and find them to be very quiet. If I'm keeping my ride under 85 MPH I don't even need ear plugs but if I'm doing a longer ride at high speeds I use them. With my Bell and Shoei I had to use ear plugs all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Arai Corsair X and I really like it. Really comfortable, good visibility and well made with a quality liner. I like the amount of air flow this helmet offers. If you buy a new one they stay pretty quiet for a few years before getting worn out. I ride with earplugs and haven't noticed more noise than my past Corsair V, RX7 or Quantum.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I use an Arai Vector-2 on the street and a Shoei GT-Air on the track. My GT-Air is MUCH quieter and it makes me want one for the street because I tour quite often.

This thread reinforces my want for another GT-Air but I'm also looking at BELL helmets.
If you want another GT-Air, get one while you can. Now that I've spent some time with the 2, I'd rather have the original. The chin strap (with quick release (which I love)) has a wider buckle and is attached too far back in the shell, it rubs both my wife and I wrong in the neck area. If it were 10mm forward there wouldn't be an issue. Definitely try one on before you buy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just ordered a new RS-2 for a smoking deal of less than $200 with tax and shipping. They say it fits same as RS-1, in which case I will be good to go. The old RS-1 seems in good shape. My safety card to play for dear wife is my RS-1 was made in 2010. Way past 5 yo. Maybe I can do without sunglasses with it, but they say there is room for them. :grin2:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rs-2-tactical-helmet

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Arai Corsair X and I really like it. Really comfortable, good visibility and well made with a quality liner. I like the amount of air flow this helmet offers. If you buy a new one they stay pretty quiet for a few years before getting worn out. I ride with earplugs and haven't noticed more noise than my past Corsair V, RX7 or Quantum.
I love the Arai Corsair X for track work or high-speed-low distance rides. Super noisy helmet, though. The Schuberth is the quietest helmet I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a Arai Defiant X. Coming from a Schuberth E1 and C3Pro and I also tried a Scorpion EXO ST1400. The noise in the scorpion was insane. Not sure how anyone uses it. The noise in the Arai is seems good, but the Schuberths, both of them, are so quiet. That being said, the air flow in the Arai is much much better. So I will basically be using the Arai for hot summer days, Schuberths for touring.

Arai Defiant X vs Schuberth E1

Arai Pros
Good airflow
Lighter in weight
Snell rating

Arai Cons
Air seems to get in no matter how much things are closed, which sucks for cold early mornings when touring
Noise is louder than E1
No built-in sun glasses or option for visor

Schuberth Pros
Quiet, super quiet
Internal sun glasses
External sun visor

Schuberth Cons
Heavier than the Arai

I also don't personally care for the modular helmet design. But i dont think about it it either way really.

Both Arai and Schuberth seemed higher quality than the scorpion, I really regret wasting money on the scorpion.

For anyone mounting gopro to helmet, I found the Schuberth easier because the helmet shell has more flat surfaces making it easier to find a spot to stick the gopro mount.. The arai shell has uneven surfaces making it difficult to find a spot to securely stick the gopro mount

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
This is an interesting thread as I am due for a new helmet this winter and can’t afford a new Arai either .
Try shopping ebay...I have two Signet Qs both of which came from ebay, the newest was $450 shipped, the other $400. There is a Ducati themed Signet Q on ebay at this moment for $350 shipped, new in box with tags.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well I’ve been doing some reading and it seems that the helmet may not be the problem, but rather the windscreen. I’m gonna put in the PP screen and see how it goes.
I have a Pikes Peak and yes it's a cleaner airflow than the regular screen. However, I've never complained about the clear OEM screen either.
Notwithstanding, on my naked Monster, my AGV K5's helmets are (wind) noisy. Helmet do make a difference however and strictly speaking for myself, I'm due for a new helmet where features, comfort and style will determine my choice but there's no substitute for ear plugs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think it's a matter of what fits your head correctly having a large degree of influence on the noise factor.

Yeah, the MTS is wind-noisy, esp with a larger screen. Meaning to pick up a CalSci or something else one day.

I keep reading how Arais are noisy, but these days, they are all I wear. I have an old Quantum F that I haven't worn in a while (has intercom for GL1800), one RX7 Corsair, three Corsair Vs and two Corsair Xs, plus a Signet Q.

All of them fit me really well and are reasonably quiet (with earplugs, very quiet). The Corsairs, with all their vents, are a bit noisier but the airflow is welcomed here in TX.

On my Triumph Street Triple or the BMW S1000R that replaced it (both naked bikes, both sold) all of the Arais were quiet with earplugs. On the Multistrada and the GL, yeah, the windscreens cause turbulence and noise.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Try shopping ebay...I have two Signet Qs both of which came from ebay, the newest was $450 shipped, the other $400. There is a Ducati themed Signet Q on ebay at this moment for $350 shipped, new in box with tags.
MAKE SURE that yr helmet comes from an actual dealer in helmets. Full Stop. There are now for quite some years now, Chinese knock offs of all the best helmets and leathers gear, but has zero actual protection. Dainese, Alpinestars, Arai, u name it. eBay and CraigsList are now FULL if this lethal crap. Do NOT support it, and do NOT put your life and limb in harms way for these bastards.

last few weeks, a seller on this site posts Italian-branded leathers with pix of labels stating "made in Italy" when in in fact the REAL factory says their goods are "made in ___" but definitely NOT made in Italy. I only then asked where he bought them - he replied "...hey, they're legit!" a bit Defensive id say.. THIS WAS ON THIS SITE!!!

caveat emptor = freeze the fraudULENT FOOKERS out with your closed wallet. DO NOT support these a-holes with yr currency!

·
Registered
269 Posts
MAKE SURE that yr helmet comes from an actual dealer in helmets. Full Stop. There are now for quite some years now, Chinese knock offs of all the best helmets and leathers gear, but has zero actual protection. Dainese, Alpinestars, Arai, u name it. eBay and CraigsList are now FULL if this lethal crap. Do NOT support it, and do NOT put your life and limb in harms way for these bastards.

last few weeks, a seller on this site posts Italian-branded leathers with pix of labels stating "made in Italy" when in in fact the REAL factory says their goods are "made in ___" but definitely NOT made in Italy. I only then asked where he bought them - he replied "...hey, they're legit!" a bit Defensive id say.. THIS WAS ON THIS SITE!!!

caveat emptor = freeze the fraudULENT FOOKERS out with your closed wallet. DO NOT support these a-holes with yr currency!
This.exactly.

I remember about 6-7 years ago, i had found a "reputable" seller on ebay from Italy, this "shop" had a 99+ rating and...the AGV Grid i bought from them (size M) was in fact a...XXL with EXTRA Styrofoam strips GLUED inside the shell (under the OEM Styrofoam) to make it a tighter fit.
As soon as i took it off the box and wore it something felt weird as the shell was HUGE for an M size, plus, the fitting felt all kinds of wrong.Removed the cheekpads etc and...that's when i saw/noticed the extra Styrofoam...

Needless to say, i was extremely pissed and contacted them, "we have no idea, we just received this shipment, we had no other complaints" they said - bullshit obviously.

Anyway, got my money back in the end and i decided that that was the last time that i got a helmet from ebay.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I saw a few fake Arai helmets on eBay. You can tell from a mile away they are fake. Pretty funny if you ask me.
There are many reputable sellers on eBay. In fact many are actually the same sellers that own reputable shops. And some shops will even open additional eBay accounts under different names to get around MAP pricing policies to sell items cheaper then what MAP allows.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Arai Nicky Hayden #7 FTW

Arai Corsair-X Nicky Hayden #7 (i.e. "Nicky7"). Of course I bought it to honor Nicky but I wouldn't have if it didn't fit right. It was however my first helmet with the pinlock system which is fabulous. I still like putting it on every day, and venting is good. I've always ridden with ear plugs so wind noise doesn't really bother me. That said, somehow Ducati designed the MTS aero worse than a naked bike!

Previous were Shoei RF1000 (worked very well) and then RF1100 (revised visor system was problematic, too lightweight).

41 - 60 of 94 Posts