Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,290 Posts
I've used Shoei for decades. Since getting my Multi, I've had a GTAir and now the GTAir2. They are definitely quiet helmets but, the angle of the screen on the MTS directs air straight into the visor. When I stand up, out of the turbulence, it becomes sooo much more quiet. So I just installed the 3D printed spacers from Iconic parts. They've helped a bunch in directing the air up to the very top of and over my helmet. More testing needed though.

So it would be my recommendation to look into screen options or the spacers that change the angle of the screen. Guys even state the clip on defectors do wonders. It may not be the Arai but the aero of the OE screen making it seem louder that it is in clean air.

https://iconicparts.uk/shop?olsPage=products%2Fducati-multistrada-screen-spacers
This is also my experience. I haven't noticed Arais being any noiser than other helmets I've worn, but the multi is definitely one of the noisiest motorcycles I've owned. It took me forever to find a solution as far as the wind roar. I have some of the old "Aztec" spacers to change the windscreen angle, and also hiss flaps mounted on either side. These have pretty much eliminated the constant wind roar I got off the screen. I think one has to tinker with their wind protection to help with the noise this bike produces, and changing helmets can only do so much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As a construction site supervisor I occasionally have to force people to wear hearing protection. While I can't do this to motorcycle riders I'm wondering. Are riders who find screen or helmet wind noise too loud wearing ear plugs? or is anyone wearing earplugs and still finding it too loud?
I've just gotten a new supply of 3M taperfit earplugs and I'm riding in near silence. Shoei RF1200

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As a construction site supervisor I occasionally have to force people to wear hearing protection. While I can't do this to motorcycle riders I'm wondering. Are riders who find screen or helmet wind noise too loud wearing ear plugs? or is anyone wearing earplugs and still finding it too loud?
I've just gotten a new supply of 3M taperfit earplugs and I'm riding in near silence. Shoei RF1200
Personally I do wear ear plugs for longer trips, say anthing over 40 min. However I like to hear the engine of the bike and consider my ear plugs aren’t super duper sophisticated.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I always ride with earplugs and still find the wind noise horrible, hands down the worst of any bike I have ever owned.
The PP screen helped but still nowhere as quiet as my RSV4 with a loud Austin pipe :crazy:

I ride is a multitude of different helmets, Arai Cosair-X, Bell race star, shoei X-14, all crazy loud even with plugs on the multi.

Next step is a set of the Iconic spacers on the PP screen.

For the guys that have owned other touring bikes; Is this issue common for this style of bike or just one that plagues the Multi?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wear ear plugs 100% of the time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you ride a bike long enough, you will develop Tinnitus, guaranteed.
It's not just the loud bike either (for those that ride one), it's the wind noise.
Wearing ear plugs may not prevent Tinnitus but it will certainly delay it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use an Arai Vector-2 on the street and a Shoei GT-Air on the track. My GT-Air is MUCH quieter and it makes me want one for the street because I tour quite often.

This thread reinforces my want for another GT-Air but I'm also looking at BELL helmets.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The ONLY helmet that fits my head is Arai Signet series. I wore a Q for 6 years and bought the new Signet X 6 weeks ago and my only complaint is the new visor lock system, which SUCKS! Now, I have to define 'fit'....my normal day rides are 325-425 miles, so I'm wearing the helmet for 6-7+ hours. I bought a Shark Race R Pro and LUV'ed it....for about 90 minutes, then it had to come off for a 'break'.

And I ALWAYS wear plugs!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It's funny to hear guys talk about switching back and forth from Arai to Shoei !!

Those two companies don't use the same shape bucks for their molds, much less the same sizing system.

When someone tells me "Oh, the Xxxxx is so much noisier than the Xxxxx...", I have to disregard their comment unless they quantify the remark by saying "...for my head shape/size."

An Arai Large is a 7 1/4 - 7 3/8ths. A Shoei Large used to be 7 3/8-7 1/2. Now, if you have a 7 3/8th head like I do (and have had for 50 years), the Arai fits good. A Shoei Large would be looser, and consequently noisier due to the space around my head and face.

I can wear a Large Signet and get a good fit, but the round one (Quantuum?) and the old long oval didn't fit me. Pressure points and/or noisy.

I used to fit people at a dealership, and you need access to 4 or 5 brands sometimes to find a proper fit.

Don't get hung up on colors or designs until you find out which brand fits you best. And if you don't like a snug helmet...you'll most likely end up with too much noise...;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's funny to hear guys talk about switching back and forth from Arai to Shoei !!

Those two companies don't use the same shape bucks for their molds, much less the same sizing system.

When someone tells me "Oh, the Xxxxx is so much noisier than the Xxxxx...", I have to disregard their comment unless they quantify the remark by saying "...for my head shape/size."
Since I'm one of the guys mentioning both brands...

Fit was not part of my comment, only wind noise. My two helmets are different sizes, and I installed thicker cheek pads in my Arai.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

An Arai Large is a 7 1/4 - 7 3/8ths. A Shoei Large used to be 7 3/8-7 1/2. Now, if you have a 7 3/8th head like I do (and have had for 50 years), the Arai fits good. A Shoei Large would be looser, and consequently noisier due to the space around my head and face.

I can wear a Large Signet and get a good fit, but the round one (Quantuum?) and the old long oval didn't fit me. Pressure points and/or noisy.

I used to fit people at a dealership, and you need access to 4 or 5 brands sometimes to find a proper fit.

Don't get hung up on colors or designs until you find out which brand fits you best. And if you don't like a snug helmet...you'll most likely end up with too much noise...;)

(I am disturbed to hear the new Signet doesn't fit like the old one...I'm gonna need a new one soon.)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Since I'm one of the guys mentioning both brands...

Fit was not part of my comment, only wind noise. My two helmets are different sizes, and I installed thicker cheek pads in my Arai.
I do the same thing. Add a pad, trim a pad...

Especially around the upper cheek pad where my eyeglasses have to slide in. ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I mentioned Suomy, not Shoei. Suomy Vandal which is round shape very similar to Quantum 2.
Besides that not a single Shoei fits me.
I can say with certainty that the Quantum X compared to the Quantum 2 are different in shape although both are considered round. Maybe the X is bigger, not sure. What I can say is that the X feels big on me, and it’s new. Too big to even consider bigger cheek pads. Which is one of the reasons I’m returning.
I use my helmets tight. Real tight.

I even tried the quantum x in small but it’s too small.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I need a new helmet but plan to wait until the 2020snell stuff hits the shelf, I don't want to buy a 2015 at the end of its "life" so to speak.

Currently wear a Simpson Bandit, on my Harley Roadglide it was fine, comms and big wind blocker and all was good. On the Multi with no comms it's LOUD. I tried an Arai for fit and the Quantum X was perfect but I've never had one so wind noise is a question/concern. Corsair X was a close second for fit. I don't wear plugs but will def consider them until I get a comm system and then we'll see. Eventually I'd love to get fitted ear monitors that can plug into the comms.

·
Registered
655 Posts
FIT: when I got back into m/c's, after a 20+ year 'hiatus' (a long interesting story!), I tried numerous helmets on and XL was the only thing I could get on.....bought an Arai Quantum on close out. In '12, while at MGP, at 'Seca, I stopped by the Arai pavilon and talked helmets. When I told the guy what I was wearing and why, he said 'you're wearing the wrong helmet', telling me I was a perfect L, but NOT in a Quantum. He gave me Signet Q, in L, and it was purr-fect! Bought it on the spot, so helmet SHAPE is critical.

Noise: both Signet's are quiet, but with a caveat....ear plug fitment is critical. Can't tell you how many times my right plug (always the right one) hasn't seated properly/perfectly, and I have to stop, reseat it..... Once it's seated, the X is quiet.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts