Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am pretty disappointed with my Arai purchase. Always worn Arai's but this model (Quantum X) is too noisy and the fit is a bit different than the previous Quantum 2 I had. I also wear Suomy which fit pretty similar to my old Arai. This Quantum X compared to the Quantum 2 has a longer chin area, it sticks out more. It also feels wider on the sides, kinda makes me feel like a boggle head.

I know the noise can be due to the windscreen, but I refuse to put a big para sail on my bike. Plus the noise is actually less on my old Suomy Vandal helmet.

So any round headers out there? What are you using?
Or any decent windscreen that doesnt look like a sail boat?

·
15 Posts
Years ago I wore Arai Quantum X. Nice helmet, but did not think the value was there with other helmets a third of the price. I switched to Scorpion in 2005 and have not gone back. Probably on my 4th Scorpion. I've tried other helmets, but the fit is not as good.

The Scorpion is noisy, but I wear ear plugs to knock down the DB's. Not sure if I've ever had a quiet helmet. Only bothers me with the sound level of my Cardo above 70 mph.

I did change my wind screen to the Large California Scientific. Made a huge difference and not overly large compared to stock. California Scientific Motorcycle Windshields

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago I wore Arai Quantum X. Nice helmet, but did not think the value was there with other helmets a third of the price. I switched to Scorpion in 2005 and have not gone back. Probably on my 4th Scorpion. I've tried other helmets, but the fit is not as good.

The Scorpion is noisy, but I wear ear plugs to knock down the DB's. Not sure if I've ever had a quiet helmet. Only bothers me with the sound level of my Cardo above 70 mph.

I did change my wind screen to the Large California Scientific. Made a huge difference and not overly large compared to stock. California Scientific Motorcycle Windshields
Yeah this arai was noisy even with ear plugs.
I’ve discovered that I don’t like to not hear the bikes engine. Therefore my earplugs aren’t really high end stuff but are just enough with my old helmet.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah this arai was noisy even with ear plugs.
I’ve discovered that I don’t like to not hear the bikes engine. Therefore my earplugs aren’t really high end stuff but are just enough with my old helmet.
What of earplugs designed for musicians? I've heard several bikers talk about how well they work. Maybe something to look into?

I'm glad this Arai helmet thing came up .. I'm on the edge of buying a new helmet myself and cannot decide between one of the Arai units or the Shoei RF1200. The Arai is a little more costly but the Shoei gets TONS of positive reviews.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I wore Arai for a decade or more. I’d settled on the Corsair as being the best fit for my particular noggin with the Quantum a close second. Then I tried the Quantum X. Not the same. Even the newest Corsair doesn’t fit like the older ones.

Also, the price of entry for a new Corsair is nearly $1K!! I also went with a Scorpion a few years back and have not been disappointed. That said, I more recently found X-Lite’s X-903 Ultra Carbon to fit very much like my old Corsair and is lighter by 8/10ths of a pound too.

Not only that, but it lists for around $250 less. Still, that’s about double what I paid for my Scorpion which fits almost as well.

Lighter and better venting is a plus but it’s also quieter and much more stable at speed than almost any other helmet I have. No buffeting at speed and only a slight whistle when you turn your head to check over a shoulder before a lane change.

I’ve found a keeper for now, and went so far as to buy a second one. I’d buy another Scorpion but I don’t think I can justify $1K for an Arai. Shoei....well, let’s just say I never found one that fit my dome......sean

·
Registered
673 Posts
Owned several Arai over the years with the latest being a Corsair V. Sold it as it was a 2013 model and I replace them every 5 years or so. Although it was very comfortable, I did not like the visor "Pod" system, the weight, the exterior sun visor screen nor the price of both the helmet and the said screen.
I own three AGV K5's which I'm very satisfied with. The first one was purchased in 2016 and is now for sale as I wore it a lot ( nearly every day).
I like the internal sun visor, they're very light and very reasonably priced. They're noisy however but no more than the Arai. I always wear ear plugs.
Next year, I'm eying the new X-Lite 903 Ultra Carbon and the Shark Spartan Carbon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an AGV modular. This thing is trash.

I'll be looking at a Shoei soon. I had one a long time ago and it was extremely quiet.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wore Arai for a decade or more. I’d settled on the Corsair as being the best fit for my particular noggin with the Quantum a close second. Then I tried the Quantum X. Not the same. Even the newest Corsair doesn’t fit like the older ones.

Also, the price of entry for a new Corsair is nearly $1K!! I also went with a Scorpion a few years back and have not been disappointed. That said, I more recently found X-Lite’s X-903 Ultra Carbon to fit very much like my old Corsair and is lighter by 8/10ths of a pound too.

Not only that, but it lists for around $250 less. Still, that’s about double what I paid for my Scorpion which fits almost as well.

Lighter and better venting is a plus but it’s also quieter and much more stable at speed than almost any other helmet I have. No buffeting at speed and only a slight whistle when you turn your head to check over a shoulder before a lane change.

I’ve found a keeper for now, and went so far as to buy a second one. I’d buy another Scorpion but I don’t think I can justify $1K for an Arai. Shoei....well, let’s just say I never found one that fit my dome......sean
Yep it’s crazy the money they want for an Arai. And honestly as nice as their helmets are their tech hasn’t changed and designs are terrible. They all look so Japanese/Asian.
I’m in your same boat, not a single Shoei fits me. Wish they did.
Only other quality helmet that fits me good is the Suomy vandal which is discontinued.
Other issue I have is finding one with deep ear pockets to place a Bluetooth headset.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've used Shoei for decades. Since getting my Multi, I've had a GTAir and now the GTAir2. They are definitely quiet helmets but, the angle of the screen on the MTS directs air straight into the visor. When I stand up, out of the turbulence, it becomes sooo much more quiet. So I just installed the 3D printed spacers from Iconic parts. They've helped a bunch in directing the air up to the very top of and over my helmet. More testing needed though.

So it would be my recommendation to look into screen options or the spacers that change the angle of the screen. Guys even state the clip on defectors do wonders. It may not be the Arai but the aero of the OE screen making it seem louder that it is in clean air.

https://iconicparts.uk/shop?olsPage=products%2Fducati-multistrada-screen-spacers

·
Official Retired Person
7,130 Posts
I have the new Bell Star. Last helmet was also a Bell Star. Fits me well, it's fairly quite, had good ventilation and a good view/shield. Best helmet so far for me.

Seems most people don't like them as I don't see too many on the road though. Maybe it's the shape?

·
Super Moderator
25,918 Posts
I wore one for a year or so. Great shield, so-so fit.
This is an interesting thread as I am due for a new helmet this winter and can’t afford a new Arai either .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I’ve been doing some reading and it seems that the helmet may not be the problem, but rather the windscreen. I’m gonna put in the PP screen and see how it goes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just took a quick spin.
I will say it is somewhat better, but not hugely improved. I also may be more picky now since I’m paying a lot more attention to it. And my old Suomy is quieter while reviews say it’s a loud helmet. Wtf?.
Regardless of anything the new quantum x feels quite bigger then my quantum 2 and they’re the same size. And it’s not even broken in yet. So I highly doubt thicker pads will help enough.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a Bell RS-1 which came behind a couple Arais that needed retired.
The Arais were really nice helmets and I got a good deal at $350 each, and ended up with 2 of them.
When it came time to replace they were $800! No Grazi.

The Bell was about $350 iirc, and is right up there in fit, finish, wind not coming around the shield, etc, with the Arais, imho. Looking at the sticker I guess it is due for replacement.
Will probably get another Bell. The current one has been good quality for a good price.
Maybe I can get a deal at the MC show in Long Beach in Nov.

Can't really comment on quiet, I always wear earplugs as part of my atgatt.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently switched from an HJC to a Shoei RF1200. Major upgrade. Much quieter. I still religiously wear earplugs and use a short screen. The taller windscreens are definitely a problem. I’ve tried thee and the all direct the wind right to the helmet. I always go back to the short screen. Also, with the photochromatic visor, this thing is badass.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Za-Germans

haha, had one of those full-face Bells back in the early '70s. Facker had no padding to speak of, and flopped around in the wind after the foam inserts squished away.

OK, perfect timing for a helmet review, because I just arrived 3 hours ago - rode two-up from Mesa, AZ to Oakland, Cali using my Shuberth C3 modular. This helmet and my wife's C3pro are SO quiet, ventilation options so good, that I'm relaxed and checked plugs, topped off oil, cleaned & re-oiled the K&N air filter, lubed stand & suspension hinge points after the trip and just now cracked a cold one open and am kicking back. The helmet was a large part of my capability to do anything but flop horizontal directly after that ride.

Phoenix desert basin was around 100 deg F, the pass headed from Kingman North toward Vegas was fleece-wearing cool on our night passage, got some Awesome Milky Way watching in on the ride. N Arizona has amazing star watching!

Under these varied conditions, the helmet was perfect, even straight West into late afternoon sun, with the flip-down tinted visor + sunglasses. The shield seals tight to the helmet for super quiet ride, and is helped by the neck roll that's tight to the noggin. Removable chin thingie makes it even quieter, and warmer in Winter. Best helmet ever. With NRC-33 plugs, its extremely quiet.

FYI, prior to Shuberths, I rode Arai RX-whatever top of line. For track I use Arai still. For road work, Shuberth C3 is the only way to go if you want quiet and luxury of shield detents that actually work, shield seal that actually seals, ventilation that works pretty OK, and the luxury of a flip-up open at low speeds and gas stops etc. I've drank coffee at speed wearing this helmet on a sport touring rig. nuff said.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts