Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently finished fixing up my 1993 900ss. It was missing lots of bits like mirrors, rear fenders and blinkers, etc. Replaced timing belts, installed CCW coils and new plugs, fitted OEM silencers, new tires, new chain, rebuilt brakes, new discs, etc., etc. It runs pretty well.

But on my shakedown rides, I get a very noticeable, almost violent shudder/vibration on medium to hard acceleration.

It could be: timing, carb sync (it has FCR 39s), chain alignment (looks fine, but...), or something completely different and more serious.

I decided to take it to a small shop here in Austin, TX called Desmo Workshop, which supposedly does very good work.

But, any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my tank off and drained it in preparation for buying a "get put on a list" amount of acetone to put in it in a desperate attempt to clear out all of the garbage "tank liner" some idiot put in, which is now slowly flaking off and releasing the rust it was covering. The prices for a replacement tank is far more than I have in my "dicking around with old motorcycles" fund! Also need to get some new wellnuts; anybody know the dimensions/where I can buy them? I was hoping I could get them with Amazon prime for cheap but haven't found anything I can readily confirm as fitting my bike.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have found well nuts at Probolt.com in the past. You probably know all this, but be very careful with acetone. Any spillage on the paint will destroy the finish. Do your work outside in a well ventilated area. I have know idea if the acetone will achieve what you want with your tank liner.

·
Registered
891 Posts
the well nuts are still available from Ducati

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well I think I am going off the deep end lol--tomorrow morning I am going to pick up a spare up a spare 1991 900SS engine (short crank-just staying with the generation I already have). I purchased this for 2 reasons -1st as an exercise in tanking one of these apart as I have never done this with a Ducati-( BMW's I have no problem so I doubt this will be too bad) --2nd as something to play with. I just picked up a set of standard bore 91.92 mm FBF High Comp pistons, and I have a light fly wheel to use in a build. I am not going to go completely bat shit crazy with this -I am not going for a massive power gain, just a bit sportier but reliable. --Plus I received today in the post a set of 2000 Suzuki GSXR 750 forks, I am going to remove the cartridges and do the mods needed to get my front suspension working better for me-as it is now the front forks are just way to stiff and wooden feeling. If anyone has done this mod to to their 900SS adjustable forks please send me a message what to look out for--I also have new Race Tech fork springs for the 91 900SS to replace the Suzuki springs which I understand will not fit--These are GSXR K0 or K1 cartridges

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sitting next to my bike waiting for the postman to bring a second hand CF clutch cover. The guy who put in on for sale added some horrible pictures (wrong light) so it looked like the cover was completely worn.
No one made a bid. For 3 months.
I asked him for better photo's and the cover looks like brand new. Made him an €20 offer and he agreed on that.
Probably because he was thinking no-one was interested in his cover (but I believe that was caused by it's awfull pictures).

Didn't really need a CF cover but my OEM cover is not in the best shape and for €20 I can hardly find a good second hand metal cover.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Does anyone know if the crank shaft from a 89 or 90 900 sport is the same as the crank in a 1991 900SS (short crank engine)--they both are 6 spline cranks but I need to know for sure if they are the same or not --I have a broken crank-it's in 2 pieces --I'll post pics tomorrow

·
Registered
891 Posts
it would be.
Thanks mate --another weird question -would it also be the same as a 906 Paso crank--reason I am asking ducvet said that there were no 900 sports in the U.S. that he can remember he said maybe from a 906-(the one I found said 68mm stroke from a 900 it does have 6 splines)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey guys here is low mileage crank from a 91 900ss so it's a short crank very rare only has 12 thousand miles on it if anybody needs it let me know pmsl

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
My starter motor had a dead short in the KFC drive through and almost caught my beloved Chevy pickup on fire.
While I waited for the new one I got to ride to work for a few days. I love that bike and it’s always a buzz at 6:00am when there’s not much traffic.
It’s autumn here now so over a week each morning got colder and I was happy to see the starter arrive.
Bike’s resting in the warm shed now on the battery tender.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I cleaned up my instrument binacle, replaced all the idiot light bulbs with LEDs, except the fuel and turn signal indicators.

I have a reproduction “film” for it that I got from eBay seller Nasher in the U.K. It is less film and more proper lens.(my original was in crap shape and had a hole in it)

It has a self adhesive back to it but I’ll epoxy it into place later today.

When I removed the screws, it was obvious someone had been in there before. Screws are too large a diameter....at least one was and it cracked the tube the screw threads into.

I’m filling that with epoxy today and will drill it out once the epoxy cures.

I’m doing the tach needle next (speedo is done already) as well as hydro dipping the belt covers (inspired by the work @Buzzer did on his project Multi.

More when I actually get stuff done.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Swapped my stock rear fender and plate holder with an an aftermarket one I picked up on the classifieds here... It'll make plate removal and rear trackday prep a tad quicker. I like the look over stock and have no intentions of riding the SS in the rain so I don't see myself missing the fender coverage. Tomorrow I'll put the mirrors back on and she'll be road legal again, I can then get her out for her first ride of 2020.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cleaned up my instrument binacle, replaced all the idiot light bulbs with LEDs, except the fuel and turn signal indicators.

I have a reproduction “film” for it that I got from eBay seller Nasher in the U.K. It is less film and more proper lens.(my original was in crap shape and had a hole in it)

It has a self adhesive back to it but I’ll epoxy it into place later today.
View attachment 984412
When I removed the screws, it was obvious someone had been in there before. Screws are too large a diameter....at least one was and it cracked the tube the screw threads into.
View attachment 984413
I’m filling that with epoxy today and will drill it out once the epoxy cures.
View attachment 984414
I’m doing the tach needle next (speedo is done already) as well as hydro dipping the belt covers (inspired by the work @Buzzer did on his project Multi.

More when I actually get stuff done.
PM sent.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts