Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I wish I had a Ducati here but chose to keep my SuperGlide in Florida instead as it suits the lack of curves just fine. I’ve been doing all kinds of things to it I’ve put off forever. I have so much spare time now I could have my SS back together if I’d only had the room in the back of the truck to bring it with me. Frame is all painted and waiting for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I changed the rear sprocket from 39 to 41. All the prep I got to do for the riding season, but all dressed up and no party to go to. Maybe next week, when I actually have to go into work.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well I had a small oil leak on my 91 900SS, traced it to the alternator cover, so I pulled the cover to reseal, I was thinking while I'm there lets go ahead and install the Nichols flywheel I have sitting around--But I discovered I already had a lightened flywheel in the bike-it's the original flywheel but lightened. So I re-thought that idea and left the one that in it in place and put the Nichols back in the box. I did replace the rear sprocket with a 40 tooth ( I had a 38 tooth on) I did this only to raise my RPM a bit so I can use 6th gear. My rear brake light has not worked since I got the bike so I decided to find out why- Mine has the old style pressure switch. I checked the switch and found it was working fine-traced the wires to a multi pin connector at the front left side of the bike-I had continuity from the connector to the switch wires at the rear. I further tested the switch using a jumper lead from batt pos. to one side of the pressure switch--brake light comes on -whooo hooo, so now I check for voltage thru the harness back to the switch-Nothing-well bugger. So now I look at the multi pin connector the hot pin for the r brake light switch has come loose in the plastic -so I use my small needle nose plyers -push the pin back into the connector, I hear a click and it is now back in place -reconnect to 2 half's turn on the key and now I have a brake light. -Next my side stand also never worked so I looked at that -switch itself is defective I have battery voltage from the connector to the switch but the plunger switch is not functioning --So I ordered a new switch. I should have that by the weekend, 5 min to install and that issue will be resolved

·
Registered
278 Posts
So as per post 1,297 I fitted a 1098/1198 oil cooler as had read here and elsewhere that it can reduce oil temp by 10 degrees. And with a high mileage motor that's a positive outcome. So y'day I tested it by giving it a high revving blast for 60 klms.
I was dismayed to see that it was at 140C. And y'day wasn't hot, mid-twenties celsius. That's about where it usually sits on a cooler day and on a hot day, mid-thirties, it nudges 150.
The oil cooler is from a low mileage bike and as new with no damaged fins. I took the s/steel mesh off it too.

Am I missing something here? I feel as if it was a waste of time and money.

I have yet to see temps above 110 on a dual spark 944. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have no idea what my oil temp runs, my bike has no temp gauge, & I am not going to put one on it--thats just one more thing to drive me crazy lol. Years ago I put an oil temp gauge on my 1977 BMW R100SRS, If the freaking temp varied more then 10 deg. I started wondering what the hell was going wrong- it was on for a year and I went nuts worrying. I took it off and have ridden that bike 700,000 miles since--and I have not gone silly buggers since

·
Registered
909 Posts
sometimes too much info is not worth having lol

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
i wanted to make some sort of support for the single seat, and found a couple of spare bolt on tank rubbers. then i found a small rectangular section kicking around, so cut it out with the angle grinder, welded in a couple of fairing screws with the heads machined down and screwed them on. it'll support the seat at the leading edge and i'll rubber up the trailing edge and cross bar to support my arse. thought it worked out rather nicely.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
Next month will make six years that I had a bad crash on my bike. Every panel was damaged. I used race fairings to get it back on the road. With this self quarantine I think it's a good time to finally repair my
LH Fairing.jpg
RH Fairing.jpg
stock side fairings.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On a thread here a few years ago someone warned not to install an oil temp. gauge as ot would cause nothing but worry.
I should have taken note LOL.
I was reading the comments here about the oil temp gauge. Mine came with it being 96. I had a dream last night, of the oil temp on my bike fluctuate violently. I woke up extremely unhappy this morning.

·
Registered
909 Posts
lol put duct tape--aka race tape over that damn gauge and forget about it

·
Registered
909 Posts
Looks good--and if the temp is below 70 deg F it's too damn cold to ride lol

·
Registered
909 Posts
Below 70 deg. F is heated grips weather -----below 60 deg. f is heated vest & grips weather------below 50 deg F is heated vest, heated grips, & heated seat-----below 40 deg F is Fuck this shit I'm staying at home or taking the car

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,224 Posts
Below 70 deg. F is heated grips weather -----below 60 deg. f is heated vest & grips weather------below 50 deg F is heated vest, heated grips, & heated seat-----below 40 deg F is Fuck this shit I'm staying at home or taking the car
Wait what? You're kidding right? o_O

Renns my friend no offense intended but you would never survive up here in the Frozen Wastelands of the North.

Up here below 70 deg. F is super freakin' awesome riding weather ---- below 60 deg. F is super awesome riding weather ---- below 50 deg. F is awesome riding weather (especially in the fall when the leaves are changing color,best time of the year) ---- below 40 deg. F is oh okay alright I'll throw an extra sweat shirt on under my leathers riding weather.

We don't get those long riding seasons up here so pretty much we just ignore the cold and ride until it snows.

BTW - That bike is looking sweet J.B. ?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used to ride in all types of weather --even in the snow, rain never bothered me --But now I have gotten older and now live in Florida, anything below 69 deg.f is now jacket weather lol--I never want to see snow again

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wait what? You're kidding right? o_O

Renns my friend no offense intended but you would never survive up here in the Frozen Wastelands of the North.

Up here below 70 deg. F is super freakin' awesome riding weather ---- below 60 deg. F is super awesome riding weather ---- below 50 deg. F is awesome riding weather (especially in the fall when the leaves are changing color,best time of the year) ---- below 40 deg. F is oh okay alright I'll throw an extra sweat shirt on under my leathers riding weather.

We don't get those long riding seasons up here so pretty much we just ignore the cold and ride until it snows.

BTW - That bike is looking sweet J.B. ?
Thanks!!

I normally ride up till the temperature is constantly below 45f which was what it was yesterday, but is it my age?, it felt chillingly cold yesterday. And today was really nice, at sunny 55f, and I failed to go for a ride. What a waste.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Heated gear is the answer, charging system is the question. Early motors (pre-98 US models) have a charging system that can get overwhelmed by electric gear, at max output, My 94 monster would start to cut out after 10 miles with my gerbing jacket on full power, drop it to 3/4 power and no issues. I updated my bike with a later model charging system and can now run full power all the time, not something you often need but I like options.

Simply buy a jacket or vest and get one with a thermostat so you can learn where your max power should be it still beats being cold during a great part of riding season. I am much more concerned about traction from the tires in cold weather so even though i may be toasty I ride slower.

lol.. had a Diavel test ride to Do Saturday , ran great in the shop on the lift and dyno but when on the road I could feel some lean surge. Ducati may not have mapped them for temp's in the high 30's F for some reason.

1321 - 1340 of 1357 Posts