Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1201 - 1216 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Decided on a basic direction for the belt covers. Initially, I'd intended to fabricate some clear view windows to replace the removable stock inspection covers. Made one, and decided that maybe I didn't feel like making another. Found some gold carbon look vinyl wrap on Amazon so decided to give that a go. Didn't come out as expected but it did point me in a new direction for what I want to do:

Now the plan is to cut out the center part leaving just a frame which I'll cover with the carbon wrap. I think that's the way I want to go. I'll try the other side and see what I end up with......sean
Be sure to share the results!

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Rise of The Shittersport

FINALLY, have some income coming in =) so back on the job. Need a bike to ride for the Summer so my basket case 900SSie, aka "The Shittersport", is my cheapest, quickest option.

The original Gold Calipers, like the rest of the bike, are a dirty corroded mess, so today I cleaned up some 999 Calipers I've bought for a worthwhile brake upgrade.

The bike is a 1/2 fairing Senna-style that is going monochromatic.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Will those Brembo Silverline 4P/4P 999 calipers bolt right on a 900SS as a direct replacement for the stock 4P/2P calipers?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Will those Brembo Silverline 4P/4P 999 calipers bolt right on a 900SS as a direct replacement for the stock 4P/2P calipers?
I'm not the OP but... It depends.

They will bolt onto any fork with a 65mm caliper bolt spacing, which showed up on the SS with the fuel injected models. You may need to change the lines as the banjo bolts are oriented differently and in a different location than on the 2 pad calipers.

With some work you can retrofit these forks to the carb'd bikes, the fork tube diameters match the triples; the difference being the carb'd bikes had axle sizes at 17mm or 20mm depending on the year, and the newer fork has a 25mm axle.

·
Registered
919 Posts
What have I done to or with my SS today. Nothing. What have I done for my SS today, now that would be a better question. Nothing would still be the answer though. I did all the stuff days ago...ordering parts for my 900 SS resto-mod.

Today is just the day that all those parts came in. Sorta anyway. One or two came in last weekend. Today my new carbon front fender from RSR Moto arrived. All I can say is, if you were on the fence about ordering from RSR or someone else, RSR stuff is excellent quality. I ordered some Ti bolts and a rear hugger from them previously and knew from that experience that I was going to order my front fender from them too.

Other stuff that arrived is an alloy tube that I'm having machined into an axle spacer in order to fit the wheel from a later SSie bike to the forks set up I already have. Yeah, I could have just ordered set of SBK forks or Monster forks with the 25mm axle, and I may do that down the road in the future. For now though, I'm just going to have an axle spacer machined to fit the 20mm axle parts that I already have.

The reason is, the bearings I ordered for the wheel are the proper OD and ID but the width is 14mm. The stock bearings are 12mm wide. I have 2 choices. Machine the wheel to accept the wider bearings or, just keep the 12mm wide bearings and machine a spacer to take up the difference in axle diameter. A 1ft length of 25mm OD X 19mm ID was just $6 on Amazon. I dunno what it'll take to have the ID machined out 1mm but I can't imagine it would be a great deal of money.

Also, I ordered 10 ft worth of 10 gauge primary wire to wire the start system and grounds. That came in today also.

Toying around with ordering a new shock. Not sure if I wanna do that right now though. I have a shock from an SSie that I'm planning on using, but it is a Sachs. I can't find a rebuild manual much less the parts I'd need to do the rebuild.

Anyone have thoughts on that or a source for a manual...or better yet, someone I can just send the shock to for a refresh? Honestly, all I was planning on was change the oil and service the nitrogen and call it a day.....sean

·
Registered
407 Posts
I may have missed something in this somewhere--but If the stock bearings are 12mm in width then why not order the correct bearings? machining the wheel to me just sounds like a bad idea. Making a new spacer is far easier. and to answer your question about the spacer ID all you need is a lathe it can be done one of 2 ways-with a 20mm drill bit or end mill chucked in the lathe or by using a boring bar to make the ID 20mm should be quick & easy

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. I am only replacing the stock bearings and using a spacer to allow the use of the 20mm axle. There are no bearings that I could find that were 12mm wide with a 20mm ID and proper OD. (47mm IIRC).

I ordered, and recieved the stock bearings to support using the 20mm axle, but they were 14mm wide and won't completely fit into the bearing well in the wheel. The only way I could see to work around that, were to either use the stock 12mm wide bearing with a spacer, or machine out the wheel to accept the 20mm ID bearings that I already have.

Machining out 2mm on each side of the wheel doesn't seem like a big deal. There is plenty of "meat" to work with. It just seems like it is much easier and less complicated to go the spacer/stock bearing route.

While I am not a machinist, I've worked in a machine shop. I know my way around machine tools and can do simple things. I've cut plenty of brake drums and rotors. I could handle hogging out a tube to accept a larger diameter insert. I do not however, have access to a lathe or mill anymore.

That, and the local machinists I trusted from my time working in Heavy Equipment repair, are now all retired. So, I have to depend on mutual acquaintances to contact them for small projects like the axle spacer....and I might not see said acquaintances for 6-8 months at a time.

I could go to any random machine shop around, but I have trust issues with people I haven't worked with before. Unless they come highly recommended from someone I trust and have worked with. Kinda how I choose who I ride with too..........sean

·
Registered
2 Posts
All I can say is, if you were on the fence about ordering from RSR or someone else, RSR stuff is excellent quality.
Yip, I'll vouch for that!
Paul at RSR is second to none and provides great customer service and products. I've a few items to fit from RSR Moto over the coming weeks.

At the moment a new chain & sprocket kit is going on. Stainless headers, Ohlins shock, Oberon clutch slave and a few other bits and pieces to follow.

But first........the obligatory strip and clean involving several spent toothbrushes 😂

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,840 Posts
Yip, I'll vouch for that!
Paul at RSR is second to none and provides great customer service and products. I've a few items to fit from RSR Moto over the coming weeks.

At the moment a new chain & sprocket kit is going on. Stainless headers, Ohlins shock, Oberon clutch slave and a few other bits and pieces to follow.

But first........the obligatory strip and clean involving several spent toothbrushes 😂
That is indeed clean!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Not mine but a couple of glory pictures from a couple in the shop right now.
Picture one is a 93 that was leaning way to far on the sidestand, rear mount had a undersized bolt in a helicoil. once I removed these I could see why there is still a broken bolt in the case. Tommorow I find out if it is me or the owner who gets to dig it out.

The next is a set of carbs from a 1994 CR than was running but needed needle jets, and maybe some cleaning. I cleaned two sets today and one must hold a record for the most amount of dirt in a running carb. Even one of the needle springs was rusted closed to there was no spring pressure . I get to drill out another one tomorrow.

So it looks like tomorrow I better be ready to drill out a brass fuel screw as well as a steel sidestand bolt, what could go wrong ...lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shame when parts end up like this 😢

I had a battle today with 5 caliper pinch bolts seized. All drilled out ok with an 8mm bit. Seems it was corrosion under the heads of the bolts. Remaining studs screwed out fine.

Calipers all cleaned up good with new seals fitted and titanium hardware to replace the furry OE bolts etc.
Should have got some before pics but my hands were black and manky and I didn't want to touch my phone 🙄
Only an after pic but sure that's were all the glory is.

·
Registered
282 Posts
New swingarm and rebuilt Showa shock, inc. new spring and machined with fitment for a valve for future servicing. The shock has transformed the handling and steering, now passing on bends riders that I used to sit behind.
It feels like a new bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chipping away at front end rebuild/upgrade. Got SP Showas mounted up and all brake lines routed and new MCs mounted. Feel like I'm 95% there on fitment and routing for everything, just need to tighten everything up and start bleeding.

Feel like every day 5 more parts get added to my list. Billet sprocket cover would be nice, sure would look good with a better front fender, etc, etc...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well today I made a purchase of a couple of things I wanted--I found an original rear carbon mudguard, I also got an original style ft fairing support bracket-( mine has been replaced at some point by the newer style)--call me crazy but I just like things to be as they should be lol--and I got a very good condition spare main wiring harness just because I could -and if the time comes that I do need one -I wont be able to find it lol now I have a spare

1201 - 1216 of 1216 Posts