Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1217 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Rode it to work AGAIN! Keeping the promise to myself to ride the damn thing more, and fall weather here is the best.

To make it a bit more user-friendly, I installed a remote fuel valve. It took me longer deciding where to install it than the actual installation, which is admittedly a little primitive but it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes, 1973 XJ6 - 61K miles, unrestored, not started since 1984. Connely leather! I have all the pieces to get it running (Euro spec carbs, +75hp), but these damm Italian mistresses take all my time. The other Jag is 21 VIN numbers off, I put a SBC Torquer motor from Jeggs 383, and a 2.85 rear end in it and I do drive that one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Played around with the replacement engine this weekend. Poured a couple of quarts of oil in it to clean it out. Hasn't had oil in it in a very long time. How long is anyone's guess. At any rate, I poured some oil in, drained it out. A bit of water came out with the oil. Not a great deal but some.

Removed the filter and it too had some water in it. Not a great deal, but some. All together, I'd say somewhere around about 1/4 cup. Maybe a bit less. I dunno if that can be chalked up to years of condensation draining down into the oil pan or maybe it was pressure washed before being stored without oil in it? I really don't know. It was very clear water though, not all gummy and nasty like it was mixed in with the oil for a long period of time. Kinda what drove me to the conclusions above.

At any rate, in went new 20W50 and a new K&N filter. Then the engine and frame got married back up. That's pretty much a land mark point in my resto-mod. Things are going back together now, and aside from paint, and few details that I have to get ironed out, I should have a roller here very shortly. I wanted to be at that point by the end of September....may yet happen. Maybe not.

Depends on a few things going right. If they do, I might actually get to the point where I can install the carbs and try to start it using a remote tank. That would be awesome....but I'm trying to not rush anything. It isn't like I don't have other bikes to ride in the mean time. There is an endless (seemingly) list of minor things that need doing still. Also, a handful of things that need to be ordered....or machined.....or both.

While it didn't seem like much got done to me, looking at the bigger picture of this build, I have to say I've reached a turning point. The endless parts research is nearly over. Things are going back together rapidly now and that's a good feeling. It (this project) has consumed much of my time and life over the last year plus. I'm ready for the day when I can walk into the garage and decide if I ride it, or one of the others.....sean

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
i had a heap of off cuts of chain left from back in the moto one days, and i saved a heap of did 520vm bits about 24 links long as i have 8 rivet links and a heap of clip links. the chain on minnie is a made up one, but on that i just pushed pins out and re-peened them with the regina tool i have. lasted a long time so far that chain. this time i used the rivet links as you can't buy a 520vm anymore so i figured i'd use them up. first photo shows the result. d'oh. then, to add insult to stupidity, when i fitted another inner link into it i put the rivet link around the other way to all the others, so now i have an obvious rivet link next to a clip link (it's only a 400, how bad can it be). and the ek tool i use now i think has a slightly larger knob on the peener than the did tool, which i used to use but don't anymore as it seemed a bit too flexible when peening, so it split a couple of the peen ends. overall not as happy a result as i was after.

then i tried to fit the chain and got into a whole new world of front sprocket weirdness. originally this would have had the front sprocket fitted like all the others, flat face out. but with the chain sitting on top of the slider rail (which is what came off the bike) the chain was to the inside of the teeth. swingarm connects to engine, no shimming there, so i thought "that's a bit fucking odd". spun the sprocket around and same, but other way. so i was really going down a rabbit hole. then i remembered that a few years ago i cleaned wayne gardner enterprises out of the last of the "centre" offset m900ie pbr front sprockets they had (only 14 teeth) and what i needed now appeared to be a centre offset with 14 teeth, so into the parts shelf and out with said and on the bike. photo 2. happy days! so then the chain was on, and i could put the front sprocket cover, rear hugger and little chain guard bit on and that got a few more placky bits out of the tub.

figured the rear caliper needed to go before the hugger, and i had both calipers soaking in a bucket of water and detergent for a few days followed by a good scrub, which got rid of some of the grime on the front and made the rear nice, but when i fitted it with nicely replated screws the half screws looked shit. i had a heap of extra screws plated jic, and turns out i had some of the right length for the calipers. really helps make an old caliper look nice again.

so i'm getting closer. baby steps, but steps in the right direction. still undecided about paint. it needs to be painted - i think the front fairing is the only non shit repainted original panel on it, and the repalecment tanks i have both either have small dents of scuffs. leaning towards senna/st2 silver with original style decals in black/gold instead of gold/silver, if that makes sense. i have some sort of euro brand single seat for it - lower top than the sl seat - that i got cheap from rudi in the netherlands, so i'll get it all done so i can swap as needed.

it's a lot of work for a bike i really don't want, and have invested waaaaaaay too much in. i've got two monster projects to get into once this turd is done, and both of them are far more exciting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
i googled "ducati black gold decal" and found one on silver, handily enough. so that colour in original style. hopefully can get them made locally.
Then you can put a fire breathin, rip snortin, bored/stroked/cammed, 1100cc, close ratio, high compression engine with two four barrel Holly carbs, dual chrome go-fasters, and a full set of high velocity hantoon rantoons in the bike.

..... c'mon, we all know you're not going to leave that putt putt 400 in it ... it will eat at you ... keep you awake at night ... own your every waking thought ....

>:)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
sorting out what fastener goes where is a bit of an issue, and it's not like it was totally original anyway and i've forgotten how these bikes should be over the years. got the bars dressed up, had a new front brake master sitting around so i fitted it. no point stopping pissing money away now. the choke cable outer was all shit, so i cut it off and heatshrinked it - thought that was a pretty good idea. found a nos rh switch on ebay to replace the original as the orange knob is going crappy, waiting for it to come in. i sort of dropped the ball on planning the bodywork - the rest of it is going to be ready. maybe it'll be crap red for a while, but i really can't be bothered assembling the tank more than once too.

new rego plate mount is crooked. it was tight getting the rear screws in, so i'll undo the rh one and space it and see if it comes good. probably should measure to make sure the rear of the frame's not twisted i guess. no sure how much i care, but crooked really pisses me off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ready for Distinguished Gentlemans Ride Sunday!

Pic included, for those who think I'm just posting the same bike over and over again with different bodywork! Washed, waxed, new chain on one, bled all clutches and brakes, new rear pads on one, general tightening of all bolts. My long time buddy is going to ride one, and I the other. Looks like about 150 riders here in Tucson, my link below if you had wanted to contribute to a good cause. (I'm not a very good fundraiser)

https://www.gentlemansride.com/fundraiser/RockGunnoe182867

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Pic included, for those who think I'm just posting the same bike over and over again with different bodywork! Washed, waxed, new chain on one, bled all clutches and brakes, new rear pads on one, general tightening of all bolts. My long time buddy is going to ride one, and I the other. Looks like about 150 riders here in Tucson, my link below if you had wanted to contribute to a good cause. (I'm not a very good fundraiser)
You gonna wear a suit, or those pretty red leathers? ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Cleaned up the breather boxes and got them ready to install. Before:

After:

Decided on a basic direction for the belt covers. Initially, I'd intended to fabricate some clear view windows to replace the removable stock inspection covers. Made one, and decided that maybe I didn't feel like making another. Found some gold carbon look vinyl wrap on Amazon so decided to give that a go. Didn't come out as expected but it did point me in a new direction for what I want to do:

Now the plan is to cut out the center part leaving just a frame which I'll cover with the carbon wrap. I think that's the way I want to go. I'll try the other side and see what I end up with......sean

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
All Black Leathers, disco style leathers, and a tie!

For just a split second I thought this guy was wearing high heeled boots ... y'know, like the wimmins wear. That table leg looked like a spiked heel .. like I said for just a millisecond.

"Wow, he's really committed to the whole ~Disco Leather~ trip!" (I thought to myself).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1181 - 1200 of 1217 Posts