Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I haven’t actually done anything to mine today, except stare at it in admiration, but I did pick up this for it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Track Day!

It was a beautiful day (yesterday) at The Ridge. This was the SS's first time in The Thunderdome (Intermediate group) at this track. The SS and my fellow pit mates kept the rubber side down and the shiny parts shiny. Something was in the water yesterday, that first session after lunch had particularly bad juju and I decided to sit out the last half of that session on my terms. The up-side of all of the flags and bikes littered around the track early on, my last two sessions of the day were relatively clear and less eventful!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm still very early in the project but so far I'm using 2016 Ducati Scrambler wheels. The front was easy, but the Scrambler rear uses a larger diameter axle than the 900SS so that took just a bit of machining including the swingarm which is from a 1000SS. I'm working fuel tank trim lines at the moment. Eventually it will be constructed from carbon fiber but I'm trimming a GT1000 Sport Classic production tank which will serve as the mold. Motor will be rebuilt with a 944cc big bore kit, FCR carbs. the usual stuff. I don't have a lot of photos yet as I'm thinking thing through but I'll post in the future along with the 900SS cafe racer build that I recently completed. Sorry for the poor picture quality!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! Most interested in frame cut and tail build at the end.

Отправлено с моего F8132 через Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I planning to use a high mount scrambler style rear fender which I'll probably have to modify or fabricate. The frame will incorporate a loop that will hug the top of the fender. I'll post a photo of the finished solution.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went for a ride in 46 degrees C today (115F). The irony is that I rode to a tool shop to get some bits to sort out an issue with my Panigale. Old bike helps new.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I took the 900SS to Cherohala and Deal's Gap. First time riding the 900SS on these roads. Such a great bike. It hauled ass on both.
Good to see you again Thomas at the Gap and catch up. Nice 900, lean and mean. Your buddy looked a bit wide eyed at the whole experience :wink2:

Thanks again for the west tour blog. I won't hold it against you that you did it on a Kabloom.

Be safe,
Scott L.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
Good to see you again. Glad to see the ST3 being given hell. Tyler was a little shell shocked. Kudos to him for showing up with a healthy dose of humility instead of trying to be Marquez and wadding it up. I got a laugh out of killboy photos of the two of us.

Also, you can hold it against me for taking the KTM west. I do a little.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Purchased a Monster Ohlins side mount steering damper for the SS. Knock on wood, I'm not experiencing any headshake or tank slappers and may not 'need' the damper, but the price was very right and if it's not my cup of tea a friend has already volunteered to take it off my hands.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have one on mine. Don't know whether or not I need it but I have one. Welcome to the club of 'having things for unknown reasons'.

My SS/SP started today. A necessary step in going for a ride tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Purchased a Monster Ohlins side mount steering damper for the SS. Knock on wood, I'm not experiencing any headshake or tank slappers and may not 'need' the damper, but the price was very right and if it's not my cup of tea a friend has already volunteered to take it off my hands.
Stock geometry on these bikes is super stable and doesn't really need a damper. Now is when you start to play with steering head angle to adjust rake/trail and ultimately turn-in. With more agressive number as the angle steepens and the trail shortens the bike will pivot faster at the front wheel (turn in and transitions sharpen) but becomes more susceptable to wobble; that's really what the damper is for. Smarter people than me can explain this in more detail, I'm sure.

I can't recall, do you have the adjustable length Ohlins rear shock? Lengthen it. Also consider raising the forks in the triples (lowering the front end of the bike) by 1 to 1.5 CM. If you want to get really crazy, consider custom cutting a chain that gets the rear axle further back in the swingarm to fine tune wheelbase, fore/aft balance and geometry.

You could probably sort out the geometry in advance to have a solid testing plan. Best to try these adjustments one at a time at a track day where you can be repeatable and do back-to-back tests to feel differences to the adjustments.

I've heard good things about this book: https://www.amazon.com/Sportbike-Suspension-Tuning-Andrew-Trevitt/dp/1893618455

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Thanks for the info and book suggestion, timely, I'm looking for a new moto book for an upcoming trip to the coast!

Yeah, no problems with the the SS's stability and the suspension has been set up twice (back when I got new springs and suspension service, earlier this summer at a track day). At last month's track day I realized I didn't like what was recently done, took the plunge and made some adjustments on my own, for the first time. The adjustments I made helped the SS feel better again and I'm now emboldened and comfortable to explore settings more... I thought of a steering damper as piece of mind insurance in case I go too far with my exploring, coincidentally one for relatively dirt cheap popped up for sale.

Stock geometry on these bikes is super stable and doesn't really need a damper. Now is when you start to play with steering head angle to adjust rake/trail and ultimately turn-in. With more agressive number as the angle steepens and the trail shortens the bike will pivot faster at the front wheel (turn in and transitions sharpen) but becomes more susceptable to wobble; that's really what the damper is for. Smarter people than me can explain this in more detail, I'm sure.

I can't recall, do you have the adjustable length Ohlins rear shock? Lengthen it. Also consider raising the forks in the triples (lowering the front end of the bike) by 1 to 1.5 CM. If you want to get really crazy, consider custom cutting a chain that gets the rear axle further back in the swingarm to fine tune wheelbase, fore/aft balance and geometry.

You could probably sort out the geometry in advance to have a solid testing plan. Best to try these adjustments one at a time at a track day where you can be repeatable and do back-to-back tests to feel differences to the adjustments.

I've heard good things about this book: https://www.amazon.com/Sportbike-Suspension-Tuning-Andrew-Trevitt/dp/1893618455

·
Registered
668 Posts
your SS today?

greetings earthlings,

After a 20 month long nap, my SS/SP is now awake. Before its snooze, there was a idling issue. So I removed the carbs, cleaned out the air jets and replaced the age-hardened fuel lines between the tank and the carbs. Fired right up when I pushed the start button, then fine-tuned the balance and idle speed.
Now I need to get a state required safety inspection and buy new tags form the DMV. On the road again....

Fred

841 - 860 of 1216 Posts