Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1357 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Pulled the rear wheel off - new tyre going on tomorrow. The old one did 4,000kms. :(

It did wear evenly - no flat...

But it was completely knackered. Those rough patches are the wire starting to show.

The front has done 3,000kms. But it's not wearing the sides out like it used to (since a slight 'further' adjustment of the rear ride height).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Pulled the rear wheel off - new tyre going on tomorrow. The old one did 4,000kms. :(

It did wear evenly - no flat...

But it was completely knackered. Those rough patches are the wire starting to show.

The front has done 3,000kms. But it's not wearing the sides out like it used to (since a slight 'further' adjustment of the rear ride height).
Hey steveb64, that rear looks like you only ride around in the anti-clockwise direction across the dutch? Is it just the photo or is it distinctly worn more on one side?

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Hey steveb64, that rear looks like you only ride around in the anti-clockwise direction across the dutch? Is it just the photo or is it distinctly worn more on one side?
Lol - you noticed too. I was looking at that yesterday - my thoughts are that the RH * corners are a wider radius (therefore faster) than the LH ones, thus I'm on the gas earlier and harder... ;)

It can't be more RH corners than LH, as the bulk of the mileage was up and back the same road (a tight twisty 80kms each way). I think the rapid wear is due to the (poor quality) abrasive chip-seal tar surface. :( Not much I can do about that.

*Note: In NZ (as UK and Aus) we ride on the LH side of the road, so on RH turns, we're in the outside lane.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Put a new counter shaft sprocket on. Still need to drop the gearing a little more.

I had noticed the oil breather catch tank was broken.

I found a new one on Ebay. 8 bucks, including shipping.

And I got it installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lol - you noticed too. I was looking at that yesterday - my thoughts are that the RH * corners are a wider radius (therefore faster) than the LH ones, thus I'm on the gas earlier and harder... ;)

It can't be more RH corners than LH, as the bulk of the mileage was up and back the same road (a tight twisty 80kms each way). I think the rapid wear is due to the (poor quality) abrasive chip-seal tar surface. :( Not much I can do about that.

*Note: In NZ (as UK and Aus) we ride on the LH side of the road, so on RH turns, we're in the outside lane.
I'd have to agree, the right side of my rear tyre on the duc seems to take it harder than the left. Thought it was just me, but that makes sense. Mine looks nothing like that though, well done sir!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Took her to Big Willow

Took the girl to the track to let her stretch her legs- I love this bike more and more all the time- It seems so many of them are getting snatched up and turned into cafe racers and street fighters- kind of sad but hopefully the clean ones survive in stock form.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
street-legal

'Put the new (to me) plate and mirrors back on the SS with the hopes of a quick spin around town. I haven't started the SS since September and feel the need to run her... Alas, the SS is not a fan of starting in colder temps (low 40s F) and I couldn't get her to start, so no ride.

I like the idea of the integrated mirrors with turn signals for ease of removal for track days. Functionally, they suck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well - I walked across our lane to our unheated garage and had a look at the bike. Wind chill is -20f and snow on the ground. Battery and empty tank are in our heated basement.
At least we don't have to worry about fires and hurricanes up here in MI!
But, makes for a short riding season.
On to spring!!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I had a garage day today

Started with changing the oil in the forks

Then I greased the stearing head bearings. Good thing too, they were dry as you can see. No this isn't after cleaning, this is how they cam out of the bike.

I continued stripping, because I'm doing a major service, this bike sat for 8 years before I bought it.

The airbox is a little tougher to get out than any of the write ups I've seen

You have to remove part of the wireing harness. The clip on the fuel injector was a pain to get off. The rest wasn't so bad.

Then I changed all of the fuel hoses.

I didn't take a picture, but I changed the fuel filter and the fuel lines inside the tank.

Next up I removed the swingarm and lubed the bearings in there.

Last but not least I let the music out of the clutch cover and dressed it up a bit at the same time.

Next up is valve adjust, then bleed brakes and clutch. I think that will be it for a while.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wet very nice!
For me I just spoke with Eraldo Ferracci and asked if he could rebuild my original 2000 SS900ie motor. And he said to send it to him
So a complete rebuild of my #1 Supersport will be done. Pictures will come. At least I'll still have my other 2000 as a daily rider

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
LED tailight

Original bulb might have lasted 26 years, but has been nothing but problems since then on replacement ones - the "barrel" is smaller and did not fit securely in the socket. Anyway, got two LED red marker lights from the autostore, pretty small, less than an inch diameter with a rubber boot around them. Shoved them in the upper corners inside the lens and wired up the pigtail.

Then I a got a rectangular 2"x1" red clearance dual LED for the brake light and put it in the bottom. Took out the unreliable bulb.

Much brighter, and cooler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Time for the valve adjustment.

I'm glad I didn't ride this bike too much before taking this on. The guy I bought the bike from said he just replaced the belts, but they were VERY loose. Also the valves were way out of spec.

Of course I am getting to live the full Ducati experience by having to lap is shims to get the clearances I need

Other thing that has been a bother is the keepers for the closers. I only found 3 on the whole bike that weren't broken. The local Ducati dealer renewed my opinion of them when I called to get the parts and the did not have any in stock.

Time to get it all back together.
Can't wait for better weather so I can get it out on the road and see how she runs now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just baught a new battery for the bike, haven't been riding much.
Also got a new right turn signal because the one I had cracked from the inside and will all be installed and relubing the chain today!!!
Im only 22 years of age and the 900ss is my first bike and I only put 150 miles on her within 4 months. I haven't ridden for 7 months due to health issues and fear of riding, but ill give it a go again and see how i do!

New tires are gonna be on my next to do list!

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Original bulb might have lasted 26 years, but has been nothing but problems since then on replacement ones - the "barrel" is smaller and did not fit securely in the socket. Anyway, got two LED red marker lights from the autostore, pretty small, less than an inch diameter with a rubber boot around them. Shoved them in the upper corners inside the lens and wired up the pigtail.

Then I a got a rectangular 2"x1" red clearance dual LED for the brake light and put it in the bottom. Took out the unreliable bulb.

Much brighter, and cooler.
I've just had to deal with this problem too. I have a LED bulb already fitted, which is great - plenty bright. But it started playing up and not working... The fix was to add a layer of alu foil to the barrel of the bulb, before inserting it into the bayonet housing. The metallic coating on the inside of the socket had worn away, reducing the contact area available to the bulb earth, so the foil helps ensure a better contact, and also packs the socket, holding the bulb better.

741 - 760 of 1357 Posts