Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1278 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah, this one had been covered with cracked bodywork and scuffed metal all around. Good working order but cosmetically unfortunate. The whole demeanor of the bike is changing and it really is fun.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Cleaned and waxed the (recently sold) FE, waiting for the truck to take it to IL. next week.
Put new cam belts and a case saver (for chain) on the '97 track bike, and bought some gas to fire it up in preparation for the track day 9/1 at Miller. Hasn't been started since last summer. Lithium battery still has 13.5 volts! No one else from ducati.ms but Duczilla and I going :(? (Ian996? Jeff_H?).

Well, add gas, twist throttle a few times, touch starter button, varooom. Took her out for a short spin on backroads near my house (bike's highly not-street legal :crazy:). Holy s**t! She goes, stops and turns like a raped ape :eek:! I forgot how much fun that bike is; I guess I'll have to do more track days next year!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Your FE went quick! Didn't you just post the ad earlier this week? Then again, for $5K the new owner got a smokin' deal. Were you sorry to see it go?
Michael, did you see that: you got a "smokin' deal!" Actually it sold in less than 24 hours from when I placed the ad! A little sad to sell it, but I sold it to use the money to buy a 2007 CBR1000RR with 860 miles on the odometer :yeah:! I had a 1992 CBR900RR I bought new that I put 48,000 miles on in 3 years, and then sold. Always missed that bike, but I decided to go newer, since it's really hard to find clean, original red, white and blue 1992s with low miles.

Besides, I still have my 1997 SS/SP track bike which I love :D!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I'll be installing these DP rear sets this weekend....

As a side note, these weigh 25 oz.s combined. My OEM rear sets weigh 45 oz.s with lighter LSL pegs. I'm guessing the OEM pegs would add another 5-10 oz.s. So, all-in-all a nice weight savings in addition to the better (and adjustable) position.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I walked into the garage and looked at where I left my first street bike 2yrs ago: still hanging with a freshly powdercoated frame, front end hung with new bearings, new clipons, new 41mm FCR kit hung on the modded airbox, motor out, freshly bored/coated cylinders with JE 94mm pistons in them sitting on the bench next to the motor, heads in mid tear down in preparation for a valve job... and I'm thinking is it time to put this stuff on ebay or get my ass in gear and finish putting her back together?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mine hadn't been turned over in 6 years. I decided to get my ass in gear and get it back on the street. It was fun doing so and I'm glad I did. Wouldn't have got crap for it trying to sell the bike anyway. I looked at new bikes and there was nothing I wanted more than the '92SS. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
A lot of bikes live or die on the outcome of this comment. Cool to hear that yours lived.

Mine hadn't been turned over in 6 years. I decided to get my ass in gear and get it back on the street. It was fun doing so and I'm glad I did. Wouldn't have got crap for it trying to sell the bike anyway. I looked at new bikes and there was nothing I wanted more than the '92SS. Hope that helps.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
Did you tear down your motor yourself?
Yep. Heavy construction equipment mechanic is my day job.
These little air cooled motors are ridiculously simple by comparison PumpIron.
Simple elegant pieces of engineering and so easy to work on.

Did you follow a workshop manual or hayne's manual guide?
Haynes manual,it's the very first thing I buy after purchasing any new/new to me bike.
Been wrenching on my own bikes for almost 30 years now and Haynes manuals have been my "go to" motorcycle bibles.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yep. Heavy construction equipment mechanic is my day job.
These little air cooled motors are ridiculously simple by comparison PumpIron.
Simple elegant pieces of engineering and so easy to work on.

Haynes manual,it's the very first thing I buy after purchasing any new/new to me bike.
Been wrenching on my own bikes for almost 30 years now and Haynes manuals have been my "go to" motorcycle bibles.
Cool now I know who too bug with questions when I'm tearing into mine! I've never done any engine work.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I went for a ride ! No rain for a change. 16 1/2 " in 14 weeks is enough. Even my garden has had enough, it's molding. Ran great, no issues. What more could I ask for ?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I went for a ride ! No rain for a change. 16 1/2 " in 14 weeks is enough. Even my garden has had enough, it's molding. Ran great, no issues. What more could I ask for ?
Yeah, no kidding! We got hit pretty hard here...there are still piles by the street from basements. Thankfully, mine didn't suffer any issues.

I went for a spin around the neighborhood - my speedometer just quit working. I'd love for it to be simple like the cable, but things are never that easy. I'll check it out today. If anyone else had this happen (bike has only 10K) I'm all eyes and ears. :cool:

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I did , and if the cable nut isn't tight at either end this will happen. If your speedo drive is rotating with the wheel , check the manual for proper front wheel installation.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Latest on my 900SSCR

Well... I am in the process of assembly... The heads had a special coating to shed heat better than bare metal... Look smashing
Thank you GSD Coatings!!
Beautiful work!!
Heres pics of the heads presented to the red cylinders(stock bore) and the overbored (94mm) silver cylinders..
As money is a consideration now I may go with the stocck cylinders and sell the 944cc cylinders and pistons...
What do you think of the heads??

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1278 Posts