Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1392 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
It was 39f when I got up this morning. I uncovered the SS , took it off the stands. Big oil spot on floor from leaky left leg, knew that. No front brake, as if there is no fluid , but no leak. That one was a surprise.
yeah i thought about riding in this morning for about half a minute but i work until midnight/1am and hate when i come home, step off the bike, and my teeth are still chattering.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh oh.... As my frame is cracked and there are so many horror stories about thevswingarms I thought I'd better inspect it too... Cracked too and f... badly.

I can weld steel alright but never welded alloy and not about to start learning on a swingarm... Plus the common theme is they re-crack a lot... Time for another upgrade me thinks but what too...
Metmachex or 1000SS...???
Ho hum

Attachments

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
That might be the worst I've seen, very lucky you found it the easy way. Normally I'd say get it welded and ride it, but that one makes me wonder . I am concerned it may have been overheated during welding to have cracked like that. If you do get it welded drill a hole in each end of the crack first to stop the crack from traveling. Find a top notch welder.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
track day!

The SS and I rode a new track today... Thunderhill West. Tomorrow it's the East section, that one we have riddent before.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Oh oh.... As my frame is cracked and there are so many horror stories about thevswingarms I thought I'd better inspect it too... Cracked too and f... badly.

I can weld steel alright but never welded alloy and not about to start learning on a swingarm... Plus the common theme is they re-crack a lot... Time for another upgrade me thinks but what too...
Ho hum
Good job on finding THAT crack before if turned into a catastrophic failure. I guess it'll depend on your budget as to what next. ;) Though those Metmachex swingarms are rather nice looking.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Ho hum

I bought both. They are both a little heavier than the early stock units but are way stiffer.

I bought the 1000SS arm from a guy in Japan on eBay for 300USD Other guys have got them off him too. but I had to buy all the other parts like the chain slider hugger and chain guard etc. He sold the axle adjuster slides and some other bit in two separate auction and I only won one of them.

The Metmachex is nice but if you go with it make 100% sure you are both clear as to what you want. He doesn't put on the rivnuts for the hugger or the brake line stock. I wanted both but somehow he still missed the brake line one. He is a good guy and welded on some alloy spool adapters I sent him basically free. Pit Bull Products - Motorcycle Stands Weld-on Spool Adapters (steel, aluminum or 929). He did a slotted style axle for me instead of the eccentric system he does stock.

I think the Metmachex is a touch wider than stock so you have to be careful with exhaust and hanger clearance. I made some small wedges to move the hangers / passenger pegs out a touch. The high mount exhaust clears no problem. I haven't tried the 1000SS arm on my 93 but it too looks a bit larger.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There's a nice clean 1000ss swingarm on eBay just now but I've ordered a Mtemachex... I "grew up" in the 80s and Metmachex have always been revered, they were the must have add on so now I have the perfect excuse for one :)

I've drilled the crack extents and begun gouging out the crack itself - I fancy having a go at ally welding so will try it out - no intents on using it but just to see if I can do it...!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
There's a nice clean 1000ss swingarm on eBay just now but I've ordered a Mtemachex... I "grew up" in the 80s and Metmachex have always been revered, they were the must have add on so now I have the perfect excuse for one :)
If anyone picks up that 1000ss swingarm, I have the OEM plasic rear hugger listed in the classifieds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While we're discussing swingarms....

I just fitted some new Pirelli Superbike Pro slicks (the red stripes) and my Metmachex swingarm. The original swingarm was starting to crack near the shock mount. Having fooled around with repairing the swingarm on my 1991 750SS back in the 1990's I took this failure as sign to buy the Metmachex swingarm I'd always wanted.

I was a bit surprised that the clamp bosses on the Metmachex swingarm are wider than those on the standard swingarm. I can understand why it's built a little more sturdily in this area, but it means the spindle through the crankcases does not protrude beyond the clamps, so you can't secure it with the circlips. The clamp bosses are pretty beefy. So combined with the single pinch bolt on each side I've found - with benefit of hindsight - that's it's difficult to get enough tension on the pinch bolts.

In my first session on track the spindle started backing out leaving only one side of the swingarm supported. The first thing I knew about this was when getting on the power exiting a fast sweeper and having the feeling of (what I thought was) a deflating rear tyre spinning up. Seemed like a reasonable guess as I'd only put the tyre on the night before. Maybe I'd messed up and it was deflating? I was little surprised to see 100 mm of spindle poking out under my right foot when I got back to the pits. Sigh.

With the help of a friend I've now modified the spindle by tapping M16 x 2 threads into each end so that we can install some modified socket head screws that'll stop the spindle for making another bid for freedom. I'll post some pictures of that in the coming days...

Anyone else had a similar problem with a Metmachex swingarm, or is mine special?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When I got my Metmatchex Swingarm I had purchased for a later model spindle as the 93 did not have the circlips and it was a recommended upgrade to go with them. I think some of the crack failures might have been blamed on over torquing the pinch bolts. So the circlips would prevent the need to go crazy on the pinch bolts.

So the arm arrived from Metmatchex and as you found the circlips can't be used. I called them and they said no circlips is no problem and no one had ever had a problem with it.

I haven't had any movement issuers on the pivot shaft personally. It should be no worse than the original I guess. I did want to run a retention method.

I can't imagine what force would want to make the shaft slide out. Both pinch bolts would have to be loose you'd think? Do you have excessive side play? I re shimmed when I fitted the new arm. If you had a bit too much side play the movement might drive the spindle across a bit more perhaps?

The Metmatchex pinch bolts are big gear. I didn't feel worried leaning on them pretty firmly given their size and the size of the clamp bosses especially as they are behind the pivot as the 1000SS clamps are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't imagine what force would want to make the shaft slide out. Both pinch bolts would have to be loose you'd think? Do you have excessive side play? I re shimmed when I fitted the new arm. If you had a bit too much side play the movement might drive the spindle across a bit more perhaps?
Yes, it's weird that the spindle wants to slide out. It was consistently coming out from the left to the right. I also re-shimmed when installing the Metmachex unit, so I didn't think there was excessive side play. However, as you suggest, some side play may well be the cause for the movement, so maybe there was excessive side play? I'll be checking it again.

I guess it's either forces on the drive side or cornering forces that are making the spindle come out of the right hand side (the track I ride at has way more left hand bends). Maybe both.

The Metmatchex pinch bolts are big gear. I didn't feel worried leaning on them pretty firmly given their size and the size of the clamp bosses especially as they are behind the pivot as the 1000SS clamps are.
I cranked them up as hard as I could using an alley key with 12" extension but the spindle still moved. I reckon they must have been torqued to at least 40-50 Nm. I've now modified a 1/2 in socket drive allen key so that I can really swing off it.

When I ordered my swingarm I asked about shimming and was told it that it wouldn't need any. I thought this was a little odd, but decided to wait and see. My standard swingarm was shimmed with a 1.8 mm and a 0.2 mm shim on each side. When I went to install the Metmachex unit it was waaaaay too wide. Better than too narrow I guess. I got Metmachex to make up some 2.55 mm shims - one for each side. When mounting I added one 0.1 mm shim on the right. I couldn't get a 0.2 mm to fit. So there didn't seem to be much side play.

Anyway, I've now got some retainer bolts, which will hopefully solve the problem. Pictures show one end of the spindle with a retainer bolt and the 2nd shows the retainer bolts and the M16 x 25 mm bolts used to make them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When I ordered my swingarm I asked about shimming and was told it that it wouldn't need any. I thought this was a little odd, but decided to wait and see. My standard swingarm was shimmed with a 1.8 mm and a 0.2 mm shim on each side. When I went to install the Metmachex unit it was waaaaay too wide. Better than too narrow I guess. I got Metmachex to make up some 2.55 mm shims - one for each side. When mounting I added one 0.1 mm shim on the right. I couldn't get a 0.2 mm to fit. So there didn't seem to be much side play.
With my swingarm I just had to add one 0.1 or 0.2 on top of the 2 x 1.8's and one x 0.2 that was on the old setup. In other words it was pretty close to the original arm. I had a spare set of shims from a crappy arm I bought cheap to keep riding the bike.

I am amazed your arm was so much different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am amazed your arm was so much different.
So were Metmachex. Needless to say I was too. Anyway, I'm pretty hopeful my troubles will be over now. It's certainly a lovely thing and Metmachex were good to deal with. I'm looking forward to getting back out on the track free from thoughts of the rear end of the bike collapsing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How good a fit is the spindle in the swinging arm bosses with the clamping bolts released? If for any reason the holes in the bosses have been machined at all oversize, the bosses will be unable to exert the full clamping pressure over the full circumference of the spindle.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hmmm - lots of good info coming out here, thanks guys - I'll have to wait until I get the arm to see how the fit is / need for shimming etc - I have the old shims and I guess I can get moew / different sizes from Ducati if needed...

Anyhoo - the arm is ready for shipping so thought y'all would like a wee gander - 'tis a thing of beauty indeed!!>:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
...I've now got some retainer bolts, .... M16 x 25 mm ....
Looks like a good solution - Have you tried / tested it out yet?
I'm just wondering with the reduction in threaded length in conjunction with a coarse thread that you can wind the torque high-enough to prevent vibration induced loosening..?
If that's a 12.9 cap screw it needs ca. 200 ft-lbs:eek:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
This is a reply to the Metmatchex threads on here as this retarded new app can't seem to do quotes.

If you use a retaining fastener in the Swingarm spindle I think it probably should have spacers under the fasteners if the spindle is under flush with the Swingarm so it's not loading against arm and altering the float by pulling in on the bosses. It should tighten down on the spindle only

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like a good solution - Have you tried / tested it out yet?
Not yet. I should have it the swingarm mounted in the next day or so and have to wait another week to get on the track.

I'm just wondering with the reduction in threaded length in conjunction with a coarse thread that you can wind the torque high-enough to prevent vibration induced loosening...
Fingers crossed...should be able to torque it adequately & I'll be using some thread lock. If all goes to plan the loads on the bolts will be low - or non existent if I can get the clamp bosses torqued up some more so the spindle remains centred & doesn't drift. We made the threaded length short as I didn't want to cut a thread that was (nearly) as deep as the length of the clamped length of the spindle.

Regarding clamping the spindle: as hejira858 mentioned, out of interest I'll be checking the unclamped and clamped fit of the spindle in the clamp bosses before reinstalling the swingarm.

If you use a retaining fastener in the Swingarm spindle I think it probably should have spacers under the fasteners if the spindle is under flush with the Swingarm so it's not loading against arm and altering the float by pulling in on the bosses.
Correct. The bolt heads have a reduced diameter section at the threaded end - they're just < 20mm. Spindle dia. = 20 mm. The retainer bolts bottom out on the spindle and when the spindle is centred will not contact the swingarm, i.e. just as for the circlips with a standard swingarm.

·
Registered
546 Posts
...Fingers crossed...should be able to torque it adequately & I'll be using some thread lock. If all goes to plan the loads on the bolts will be low - or non existent...
Yep threadlock should do it... I don´t think the no-load will help though as you reply on the friction generated by the torque to prevent the bolt releasing...

I may drop Metmachex a line if I experience the same problems... They have been extremely helpful so far :grin2:

521 - 540 of 1392 Posts