Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1211 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Tinkering away with this year´s upgrades - hoping to be done in about a month to 6 weeks:

Removed forks, packed up and sent off to K-Tech for a refresh, 20SSK piston kits and a set of linear springs (sorry no pics)
Installed rear Ohlins DU235 & started installing a Kaemna Single Seat...

Pretty pissed off at the quality of the seat actually - came with 4 spiders webs, poor parting and the fit is pretty kak... Some cutting & shutting, grinding & filling required... It also requires fab of a bracket for the rear light, indicators and number plate as well as making some rubber seat-to-frame spacer / supports...

If I´d known it was gonna be this much work I´d never have ordered it and would have gone for the standard single seat from sharkskinz or similar... grrr - oh well it´ll look good when it´s done... hopefully...!

Attachments

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,149 Posts
Finally got around to painting my motor cases. Pic 1.

I used VHT SP148 primer and VHT SP139 GM Satin Black paint. It has a nice satiny gloss finish without being overly bright.

I made the block-off covers that you see in the pic out of 1/8" thick masonite board. Rather than spend a month of Sundays taping and retaping the parts I used the covers to protect the machined surfaces on the cases and covers during both the bead blasting and painting processes. Pic 2.

Next up is curing the paint. A co-worker buddy of mine works part time at a local airport and graciously offered to bake the parts in an industrial oven that he uses for baking powder coated parts.

Made the mistake once of baking some brake calipers that I sprayed with VHT high temp ceramic paint in my kitchen oven. After about 20 minutes the whole house was filled with smoke,my eyes were burning,and I had every door and window open with fans blowing the smoke out.

Whole house stunk for almost week after that. Won't be making that mistake again. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,149 Posts
Dunno what the exact part number for the K&N breather filter is JJ but the filter is 2'' in diameter,has a 1 1/2" filter height,and has a 3/4" flange I.D. Pic 1.

The only breather filter that I can find on the K&N website with those measurements is part number 62-1360.

Breather hose I.D. is obviously 3/4". You're also gonna need an adapter to connect the extension hose to the breather filter. A piece of thick wall PVC pipe with a 3/4" O.D. is one option. Pic 2.

Just a heads-up JJ,TPO Parts sells both the K&N breather filter and the breather hose extension kit which includes an aluminum hose adapter.

Here's the link to the TPO breather filter. Click me.>>>https://www.tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_41&product_id=32

Here's the link to the hose extension kit. Click me.>>>https://www.tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_41&product_id=166

Pic 1 is the K&N breather filter that I got from TPO Parts. Pic 3 is the hose extension kit that I bought that goes with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks Stosh!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Finally got around to painting my motor cases. Pic 1.

Whole house stunk for almost week after that. Won't be making that mistake again. :laugh:
Nice job on those covers Stosh! :grin2:

Fitted new cam belts. This w/end installing Eastern Beaver's H4 wiring upgrade and 3CS.
Nearly ready for the road.
grrss, I'll bite - what is the 3CS? :confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sanded & feathered the filler, and went over the whole seat unit with 120, 240, 400 grit then shot three layers of primer...

Next is 400 wet sanding, stopping, sanding then off to the pro painter for finishing :)
Will be accompanied by fairings & tank for touch ups

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
grrss, I'll bite - what is the 3CS? :confused:
A great piece of kit; heavy duty and tidy. Had one on my last bike.
I use the unswitched circuit for a battery tender. One of the switched circuits is for his (Jim @ Eastern Beaver) H4 upgrade loom.
The other switched circuit is reserved for a future install of a rego. plate flip gizmo, a must these days with so many cages having dash cams; overtake on double lines flip your plate; speed camera and toll camera - flip, flip, flip.

3 Circuit

Cheers.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,149 Posts
Nice job on those covers Stosh! :grin2:
Thanks Muddy. :smile2:

The credit for that nice paint job really oughta go to VHT though. The spray nozzles they use on their rattle cans work so well that they're darn near foolproof. They're super easy to use and they lay up paint so smooth and evenly that you almost couldn't screw up your paint work even if you tried.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Thanks Muddy. :smile2:

The credit for that nice paint job really oughta go to VHT though. The spray nozzles they use on their rattle cans work so well that they're darn near foolproof. They're super easy to use and they lay up paint so smooth and evenly that you almost couldn't screw up your paint work even if you tried.
I gotta remember that - I can get runs in anything. :crying: More runs than the Aussie cricket team playing New Zealand. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I gotta remember that - I can get runs in anything. :crying: More runs than the Aussie cricket team playing New Zealand. :wink2:
Or NZ playing Aussie in a one day match... :p

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discovered the stopper I bought didn´t like my primer... or vice versa... more sanding, & filling done, last coat of primer & final wet sanding tomorrow before dropping off at the pro.

Inspected the frame for crack progression, (I knew is was cracked in the usual places) but discovered they´ve gone too far, in fact the left side is cracked about half the way round the tube...! started prepping the cracks with a Dremmel.... Need to remove some more stuff to get access for welding... the question now is, total strip, weld and powder coat or quick fix... spring is coming fast!!!

Got a call from K-Tech - forks are done already, they only got them yesterday..!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Finished wiring both the Eastern Beaver H4 upgrade loom and the 3CircuitSolution loom. The headlight is so bright now it's the difference btwn night and day :grin2:

If anyone is considering a 3CS here's a tip; order a custom made one IE with pos. & neg. wires long enough to reach the under seat storage.
I should have done so but didn't think of it until too late. The problem is that there's just not enough room behind the battery, or beside it, to comfortably fit the kit. And then there's the heat from the vertical cylinder.
After a bit of trial and error I settled on locating the fusebox and relay under the tank, to the side of the vertical head, on the l/h/s and the three connectors cable tied to the lower rear of the battery.

But regardless, they are both great kits.

Warning lights and instrument lights upgraded to LEDs.
Waiting on delivery of a thermistor, oil pressure sensor, some header springs, and an exhaust stud and it will be ready to go :grin2:

Cheers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If anyone is considering a 3CS here's a tip; order a custom made one IE with pos. & neg. wires long enough to reach the under seat storage.
I should have done so but didn't think of it until too late. The problem is that there's just not enough room behind the battery, or beside it, to comfortably fit the kit.
Good tips mate - I´m thinking of getting a kit - was toying with just building in a couple of relays myself though - I´d also like to wire it so that the dipped stays on with the full beam but not sure that´s such a good idea with an H4... Being in the same bulb it might overheat - must go google a bit :nerd:
ETA - Yupp - H4´s get shagged keeping both filaments on, oh well... probably be good enough with the wiring upgrade then :)

Good luck getting back on the road!

381 - 400 of 1211 Posts