Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1224 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Think I'm gonna take it to work with me tomorrow along with my old stock steel swingarm and toss them both up on the digital scale in the shipping department just to see what the weight difference between the two is. I'm betting the Metmachex is going to be heavier. :(

I'm interested to see the difference with my slotted arm. I think from memory mine was 250 grams heavier than a late alloy arm. The pivot bosses and front of the arm is big gear. At least it isn't out on the end of the arm away from fulcrum. I'll dig out the weights I had. I'm modding the axle blocks and replacing the solid axle with the original hollow Duc axle. I have seen a setup on the eccentric style arm adding a longer bolt on the eccentric with a spool so you can use a rear stand. You would still be able to get the axle nut off using a socket.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,177 Posts
Doh!

I'm betting the Metmachex is going to be heavier.
Aaaand that's a bet I lost badly. :eek:

The old saying "Looks can be deceiving" absolutely applies here folks because although the Metmachex aluminum swingarm is visually bigger and beefier in every way and certainly looks to be heavier than the steel CR model swingarm,the fact of the matter is.......it actually isn't.

The stripped down (no rear axle,axle plates,or swingarm chain protector plate installed) steel CR model swingarm scaled in at 11 pounds. Pic 1.

The stripped down Metmachex aluminum swingarm scaled in at 9.45 pounds. Pic 2.

So 1.55 pounds lighter. Gotta admit that pleasantly surprised me. Wonder how much weight will be added when I get it powder coated Red to match my frame. :rolleyes:

And for those of you who were wondering,the fully assembled Metmachex swingarm scaled in at 11.9 pounds. Pic 3.

Hollow axle sounds like a cool idea Dave. I'll be replacing all the steel nuts and bolts on the swingarm with Gold titanium ones and I was also thinking about looking into having the rear axle bolt (and the front axle too while I'm at it) made up in titanium.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got my SS at the shop and am Installing Woodcraft rearsets and when it comes home and gets warmer if that ever happens I have a Geelong tank protecter to install.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I've got my SS at the shop and am Installing Woodcraft rearsets and when it comes home and gets warmer if that ever happens I have a Geelong tank protecter to install.
Hhmm, Geelong carbon tank protector, all the way from here in Aussietrailya. Nice to see all the Ducati parts are not flowing just the one way and that we are sending some things back to you guys. :)

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,177 Posts
....I have a Geelong tank protecter to install.
I used to use a Lockhart Philips vinyl tank bra on my '95 but I decided to retire it because the custom embroidery work (Pic 1) that I had done on it is slowly starting to disintegrate from my leather jacket constantly rubbing up against it.

I have a brand spankin' new (still in the box) Black wrap-around Mag-Knight magnetic tank protector that I was going to use to replace it (got the idea from forum member Indy36,that's his bike in the pic below) but since I ordered that Beater aluminum fuel tank it won't work because it won't attract to the aluminum.

Although I absolutely hate to tape or glue anything onto the painted fuel tank surface (I prefer a less invasive approach) the Geelong c/f tank protector just might be an option if the shape of the Beater fuel tank is exactly the same as the shape of the stock fuel tank.

I've got the page on the Geelong website bookmarked now and I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Thanks for the heads-up DJ,much appreciated. :yeah:

On a side note - It's been a coupla five six pages now since we last heard from Potshot.
Howzabout it,any progress or updates on the build? Curious to see how those 916 forks worked out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Spent 4 hours today and at least 2 everyday this week in garage moving stuff around to accommodate my bike that will be here soon! Man I have a lot of stuff! It's going to be tight!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
In preparation for the upcoming track season I took the SS for a short ride to the local shop to set the suspension for my weight. We also made some adjustments to allow me to rotate the levers down even more.

The first local track day is April 20th, 'looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I finished off the carpentry work, well most of it, that converted a garage closet space to my Ducati Supersport display area! Ready for primer tomorrow. Need some good red paint. My local hardware store didnt have any good reds!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
LED Headlight Converstion

Today (actually yesterday) I finished up my LED headlight conversion. I used a single Truck Lite 5x7 LED Headlight and referenced the idea from elsewhere in the forum for a headlight upgrade.

Simply swapping things around with a standard 5x7 gets a headlight that sticks out along the top edge and is recessed along the bottom edge. I didn't like how it looked after I did it, so I modified the process to get the light completely recessed into the fairing, and then covered the hole with a flat piece of abrasion resistant acrylic.

It looks a lot nicer in person, my cell phone camera isn't very flattering. And it's giving a green tint to the headlight, but is actually a very white 5600K light.

Headlight off:

With the low beam:

And with high beam:

Once the weather turns I'll get it outside and with a much nicer glamour shot.

Also - I used tinypic.com for image hosting because I couldn't figure out how to make a user gallery here. Can anyone point me in the right direction for creating a user gallery via PM so we don't tie uip this thread? Thanks!

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,177 Posts
That LED headlight conversion looks pretty cool Psyopper,waiting for those glamour shots.

Pics 2,3,4,and 5 are for jens.bal. This is my vote. Forum member Erdoc posted these pics back on page 122 of this thread.

Picked up an EVR slipper clutch,went with the organic friction discs.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Got the (broken :( ) headlight glass separated from the rest of the unit.
Got an entire new headlight unit in, but the reflector of the new one has no provision for the small dim light I have in mine.

I think the unit I got in, is a model without light switch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
About 90% of my time is devoted to my relo effort and getting the house on the market so I'm not spending the time on the bike or here as much as I'd like, but O M G, that headlight!

That's fantastic. Nice work, I'm looking forward to some more pics too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I didn't really do it to the bike but I built it for the bike. I wanted a center stand type thing for maintenance and since I own a welding and fabrication business I thought I'd whip something up. I'll let the pictures talk...

Anyway, it should make my upcoming valve adjustment easier and help with lubing chains, etc... It uses the through hole in the back of the cases to fix to the bike to the stand with a 3/8" pin so the bike is super secure and stable.

That's was yesterday's little project.

Thanx,
Jaysin

·
Registered
63 Posts
Holy Cow!

That was my thread on the LED light.........and it looks great. Nice job on the addition of the plexi also. I was wondering if the inside of the fairing would trim down to do something like that.

Glad to see someone try it, and work perfectly. How's the night riding with it?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Holy Cow!

That was my thread on the LED light.........and it looks great. Nice job on the addition of the plexi also. I was wondering if the inside of the fairing would trim down to do something like that.

Glad to see someone try it, and work perfectly. How's the night riding with it?
I wasn't lying when I said I was already about 75% done. It took a LOT of massaging of the plastic Ducati headlight adapter and coupling it with a standard sealed beam trim ring from a mid 90's GM pickup. There wasn't any work to do on the inside of the fairing, the lip was pretty straight and level from the factory. All I had to do was run a bead of glue and drop the cover into place.

Haven't been out at night with it yet, weather around here continues to be standard fare for an Oregon spring. Things should be nicer tomorrow - I'll try for some better photos and a night ride.

201 - 220 of 1224 Posts