Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know i should know this but never really thought about it until I couldn't find the usual oil I put in my bike which is the Shell advance 4T 15W-50 full synthetic, well here's the thing I was checking out a RED OIL LIGHT indicator on my dash and so I figured it out as the oil pressure switch gone bad, so here I am replacing it and then I noticed my oil site glass had 2 small cracks in it so I replaced it as well. well now here's the interesting part I go on-line to find my favorite oil and it's nowhere to be found stateside everything seems to be in Europe (UK to be specific) so I asked on the Ducati 7491999 page on facebook and a few of the fellas said its ok to use 10W-60 and Motul was a good brand, so I say what the heck, I put it in and then had second thoughts 1. the grade oil 10W-60 and 2. it is RED. now I found my Shell 15w-50 again. My ultimate question is that is it ok to just keep the Motul in it and just ride it out until my next oil change or just drain it out and install the 15W-50. the manual doesn't call for the 10W-60 but rather the 10W-30,40 then jumps up to the 15W-50. Any help is appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In hot climate, people use 10w-60 with a good result. Better than 10w-50 they said. To me I think it does rob your power a bit but definitely has a better engine protection. I prefer using 20w-60 for my air cooled engine if available.

To my understanding, if you're riding in a cooler climate, it's the first number that matters (10w or 15w). If you can crank it start easily as before then that should be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used 10w-40 Mobil 1 Racing, and it worked well. I tried running AmsOil 15w-50 on my last change, amd holy cow my valves were noisy. i could hear it on my bike on the highway. Im switching to Shell 15w-50. I have heard excelent things about Motul. I have also seen the Shell oil at random local Advance or Autozones. I cant remember honestly. Just gotta shop for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts