Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to improve the rideability around town on my 999s. I am not too concerned with the ruduction of the top end speed but I don't want a wheelie machine either. I can live with the way it is now but it would be nice to tweek it a bit. I went to a 14t front on my Monster and it was the best money I ever spent. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Im stock geared now, and just ordered a 14t front for just a tad more pull in the bottom end.
I am interested what people here run also.
I dont track my 999 ever also, thats why I have my other toy.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
A 14-tooth front sprocket is a good choice and cost effective for a street 999, but NOT recommended for use with a 520 chain. 15/38 98-link is best if you use a 520.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
A 14-tooth front sprocket is a good choice and cost effective for a street 999, but NOT recommended for use with a 520 chain. 15/38 98-link is best if you use a 520.
Curious why this would be a bad choice for a 520 chain?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Haven't heard this one before and there's an awful lot of people doing it (14/39-41) as the bikes come geared way too tall from the factory. Can you explain?

I would recommend a Lt. Snyder (or similar) case saver if you run a 520 and say its not ideal for the street as it does need to be replaced. I've had one break so I replace it every season now.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Haven't heard this one before and there's an awful lot of people doing it (14/39-41) as the bikes come geared way too tall from the factory. Can you explain?

I would recommend a Lt. Snyder (or similar) case saver if you run a 520.
The thread referenced by Shazaam will explain the 520 concern quite clearly.

I'm not really sure why one would want to run a weaker chain on a street driven 130hp bike in the first place. The oz. of weight you save vs. the cost of cases potentially at risk seems a no-brainer to me............. even on the track, for most of us....

I run 14/38 with the stock sized 525 chain. I like this for city traffic riding and it's not too short for spirited hiway riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
520 chain with chain saver. 14/41 or sometimes 15/41 for track only. 98 links.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another vote for the 14t front; street ridden 999. I was looking to make it easier to ride while in traffic. I don't need 170+ top end. I wasn't sure which final drive ratio I would like and this option allowed me to use the oem chain and rear sprocket to test with. when one of these components shows wear I'll replace all three with the same ratio but returning to the 15t front sprocket.

For me this option was a win/win solution, I don't ride that hard and I keep my equipment clean and maintained.

G

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Used to run 14/36 on my S but have gone 15/41 on my R . Reason for staying with the 15 front was that I have read a lot of posts about the chain not liking to tighter bend of the 14 tooth front. Never had a problem with my S though.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I've had 14/39 for the past two years, but my BSTs came with a 40, so if that'll fit with the current chain, I'll use that, otherwise I'll go to 15/43 as I have a lot of 43T rears, as both the Marchesinis on my ST2 and the BSTs on my SS also use the same rear sprocket, and I like 43T rears (though the ST2 is 14/43!)

Tom

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Do you ride around on the street at 150 alot? Do you notice the difference between 140 and 150?
Not the streets but certainly on my many visits to the nurburgring where sometimes 151 can be a bit slow . Not everyone uses them on the roads only you know .

And yeah you would kinda notice the difference between 140 and 150 when a suped VW golf comes past you. And before you ask yes everything is out on track together .

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Not the streets but certainly on my many visits to the nurburgring where sometimes 151 can be a bit slow . Not everyone uses them on the roads only you know .

And yeah you would kinda notice the difference between 140 and 150 when a suped VW golf comes past you. And before you ask yes everything is out on track together .
Yikes! Imagine that here on an American track!!:eek:

Used to run 14/36 on my S but have gone 15/41 on my R . Reason for staying with the 15 front was that I have read a lot of posts about the chain not liking to tighter bend of the 14 tooth front. Never had a problem with my S though.
14t is stock on the 749.........

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yikes! Imagine that here on an American track!!:eek:

14t is stock on the 749.........
yeah all together but I didnt mention that its 13.5 miles per lap . Theres a lot of enzos etc on there too

Didnt know that stock 749 was 14 tooth

·
Registered
66 Posts
14T up front with stock rear on my 999R makes for a "lively" first gear experience.... no complaints though....

·
Premium Member
681 Posts

yeah all together but I didnt mention that its 13.5 miles per lap . Theres a lot of enzos etc on there too

Didnt know that stock 749 was 14 tooth
I would use 16/36 to keep those pesky VW's in the rearviews. The tracks I've been to are around two miles a lap so for the track or the street I like the 14/41 setup.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
street 15-41 ,i had 14-41 but the motor pulls the 15 tooth better imo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts