Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 996s with a exhaust system on it but I cannot fins the brand it is. I was told this is DP system before the became known as Termignoni. When i look around, all i can find are systems that have the muffler and pipe welded together on the last section before it connects the the midpipe. This one does not. It fits like crap on thw right side and pushes the rear tail sideways. I have just about tried everything to make it fit straight like the left side but im losing this fight.

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks alot.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It's not a full system, they are slip ons of some sort.....never seen anything like them but then again there was a bunch of exhausts like that made for these bikes back then.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the two "up pipes" an head pipes are oem but the rest is a little confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
By the look of the hold down strap maybe a Forza or FBF Forza?
+1... they look like Forza's. Definitely not Termi's. On an unrelated topic, where did you get that clutch cover and who makes it? Love it...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fitment

Thanks for the help. If these are indeed Forza pipes, does anybody have some suggestions on how I can align the right side ? (side away from midpipe). I really would like to keep these pipes but if I cannot get it looking straight, their out the door. Ill try to get better pics of the issue, maybe that helps...

The clutch cover came off my 1098SFS. Its the oem cover - magnesium - that I cut the openings into. Matches the bike perfect. Working on the innards of the clutch as they look a bit tired.

Cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this pic you can see the left side juts out by the seat side and start angeling back inward towards the center by the tail lights.
Has anyone run into this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
In this pic you can see the left side juts out by the seat side and start angeling back inward towards the center by the tail lights.
Has anyone run into this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Boy it's so close that it's hardly noticeable. Most all exhausts are a smidge off symmetrical any way. If it's getting to you try taking off the rear cowl and remove the springs. See if you can twist the muffler, rotate the mid pipe or both and see if it will line up. If not you might need to forcefully tweek the pipe by pushing it or pulling it. It might bend enough to line up better.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exhaust alignment

You can see the little connector between the mufflers are not tied together. This makes it look even more so. But its definitely not needed. The reason I am trying to get this lined up is becuase the end that sticks out actually touches the tail fairing and pushes it out of alignment. The subframe is true so the only thing I can do is try and bend this pipe so that it dosnt touch the tail.

I took the tail off and looked around for anything that can be moved or adjusted, nothing. everything is in place and straight except for the one muffler.

Might try to use some straps or something to bend that pipe toward the right of the bike. Thanks for your help.

Ill post up if I see anything happen, or if i break something.

"Force it, and it if breaks, it needs replacing anyway." :think:

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
If it doesn't 'flex' over far enough you could try fitting a spacer between the mid-pipe and frame to move both cans to the right...

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
If it doesn't 'flex' over far enough you could try fitting a spacer between the mid-pipe and frame to move both cans to the right...
+1... I was thinking the same thing. Washers between the support strap and the subframe should allow you to offset this somewhat. Agree with ZDM that it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tail

Excellent ideas. I will try the spacers before i start bending anything. I know its not alot from that view, but when your standing behind the bike the tail ooks crooked. The exhaust is the cause of this being crooked so I am trying to fix the cause. The tail faring also has the painted white with gold lining so that makes noticing this even worse.

Maybe I am a bit too hard on the old girl. She is a few years old. Some things are going to sag. :D Maybe I just have to except that.....

...there is always surgery though. :rolleyes:

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts