Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to transplant a new engine in my 96 916. I'm wondering which ones will work? I'm assuming 916,996 - but will the 998 or even the 999, or 1098 work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can mount 998 and 999 engine in your frame with 2 little modifications.

* relocating the 2 ignition coil like 996R
* cut a small part of the iron who rigidified the throttle body

But with a testastretta engine you need to change :

* Airbox
* throttle body
* wiring harness (998 model without key code)
* ECU
* full exhaust

It's very easy, i did it on my 996SPS with a 998s engine ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought this topic has been discussed many times and the conclusion is to sell the older bike and use the money to purchase a 998 if you liked the body style, less headache and easier.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Anything is doable, is it worth the effort?

The moment you throw a testastretta motor in the bike, all of a sudden the bikes value drops to nothing. You will have spent a great deal of money to make it work and you're gains will be pretty limited. A properly built 996 or 916 motor for that matter, will do just fine and be a direct swap.

A decent 1098 motor costs around $3k.

You'll have to modify your frame to accept the motor, mounts and cross braces will need to be altered. Unlike the 998 motor, the 1098 motor fits differently into the frame, that means the 998 airbox won't work in the xx8 bike's frame, the TB's won't align up. This means you'll need a 1098 airbox, which has different runners and henceforth, you'll have to probably make you're own air runners. I don't think the tank will fit properly because the airbox is too big. So you'd have to invent your own mounting system... PITA!
Then you'd need a 1098 ECU and wiring harness, you can't use the desmoquattro harness, you'd have to have a 998 harness, which of course is different then the 1098 one. By the time you're done, what are you achieving? It might be easier to buy a 1098 and make it look like an xx8 bike! LOL :D

As shitty as this sounds, you might wanna buy a 916 motor, have it built or build it yourself and live with it. Its nice to own a bike that has some value besides personal value....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Not everyone worries about the value being loss, especially considering that a bike or a car is a poor investment in the first place. Obviously, there's a hot rodder wanting to experiment with the idea, not whether it's worth it or not from a dollar stand point.

I for one would love to hear more ideas about motor upgrades.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If you don't care about resale, just buy the proper frame. I mean, its pretty cheap to find a 998 frame now a days and it will work with pretty much all the testastretta's. This way everything is bolt-up and it works when you're done, without having to cut, weld, drill, guess... yea, its all stupid.

A 916 frame should fetch $400 bux online and a 998 frame usually goes for around $1000 bux. So spend $600 bux on the frame, $2500 bux on a 999S or 749S motor. You'd still need a 998 airbox though you could probably do the xx9 dash and xx9 wire harness w/the smaller ignition coils. Lots of wiring to do, but its been done, proven to work and it works great! PLUS holds value!

I always ask people, why spend thousands of more dollars on such an old bike? Its just silly... I did it, I was stupid... I don't want others to follow in my footsteps.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
LOL ;)

Some people, don't understand the challenge though... Those who do, usually don't ask questions like "what motors work in my 916" because most of those who are able to make the job happen, already know the answer to that question.

I wanted to put an S50B32 motor into one of my BMW's. Its a direct swap and would probably allow my car to be worth more money. Yet, I decided against it, due to the fact it was a project that would have never ended... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I didn't ask too many questions about the swap on the forums, I read... found the answers, talked to guys who had success with it before, track down a motor, even bought the motor hoist.

Oh well... I'm stickin' with the only desmoquattro R motor ever made, in my desmoquattro frame! heh :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL ;)

Some people, don't understand the challenge though... Those who do, usually don't ask questions like "what motors work in my 916" because most of those who are able to make the job happen, already know the answer to that question.

I wanted to put an S50B32 motor into one of my BMW's. Its a direct swap and would probably allow my car to be worth more money. Yet, I decided against it, due to the fact it was a project that would have never ended... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I didn't ask too many questions about the swap on the forums, I read... found the answers, talked to guys who had success with it before, track down a motor, even bought the motor hoist.

Oh well... I'm stickin' with the only desmoquattro R motor ever made, in my desmoquattro frame! heh :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't care about resale, just buy the proper frame. I mean, its pretty cheap to find a 998 frame now a days and it will work with pretty much all the testastretta's. This way everything is bolt-up and it works when you're done, without having to cut, weld, drill, guess... yea, its all stupid.

A 916 frame should fetch $400 bux online and a 998 frame usually goes for around $1000 bux. So spend $600 bux on the frame, $2500 bux on a 999S or 749S motor. You'd still need a 998 airbox though you could probably do the xx9 dash and xx9 wire harness w/the smaller ignition coils. Lots of wiring to do, but its been done, proven to work and it works great! PLUS holds value!

I always ask people, why spend thousands of more dollars on such an old bike? Its just silly... I did it, I was stupid... I don't want others to follow in my footsteps.

You don't have to "cut or weld" to put a teststastretta engine... The only things to do its to modify a small parts of the throttle body and move the igition coils... The modification takes 10 minutes the first time. Read my post. And less 1 hour separate my 2 pictures...

It's a non sense to take a 749 or 999's wiring. It's very important and easier to install (but harder to find ) a 998 wiring with 998 ecu without dashboard or igition code problems... With it, you can take a 996R or 998s or 999s engine with the same ECU (996R or 998S) and Power commander. But please don't take a "simple" 998 biposto engine...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
You don't have to "cut or weld" to put a teststastretta engine... The only things to do its to modify a small parts of the throttle body and move the igition coils... The modification takes 10 minutes the first time. Read my post. And less 1 hour separate my 2 pictures...
So you don't have to drill-out the engine mount to make it fit?

How do you make the 998 airbox fit?

I've been present for one of these "upgrades". Its a lot of work... IDK what magic you have, but a link to a web site, maybe some closer pix... that might help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So you don't have to drill-out the engine mount to make it fit?

How do you make the 998 airbox fit?

No drill with my SPS frame, other frame, i don't have trying...

And the 998 airbox fit perfectly, just i have to make a small modification because i have a bigger JHP water cooling radiator...

But a testastretta's big airbox (like EVR) don't fit my frame...

I've been present for one of these "upgrades". Its a lot of work... IDK what magic you have, but a link to a web site, maybe some closer pix... that might help.
To put a testrastretta engine you have 2 way...

The hardest way : frame modification with cut, well and drill...

And the easy way (less 10 minutes work) :

Modification of the throttle body and ignition coil's place :

See the new place of ignition coil upper the water pump, like 996R...

After viewing this pictures, i'll must kill you... :D

I love my "998 SPS" and thanks to "The Great Master of Protwin" who show me the right way to rebirth my bike last year... ;)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Thanks for the pix, I didn't mean to sound harsh, I've just been though this mod so many times with so many people and have struggled to make it happen.

You do know that the 996SPS wasn't really brought to the US, so none of us yanks have every probably seen one. I bet its different then the standard strada 916 frame's we have here. I tell ya, the US 998 airbox, doesn't fit in a 916/748/996 strada frame. :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts