Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike used and I am unclear as to the hoses on the overflow and vent. It looks like two 90s into a 3 way splitter. Are these preformed hoses? There's so little space any hose I've tried gets kinked.

On a semi related note I have been researching fuel hoses after buying some from a Yamaha shop. I figured the Jap shops use metric and have fuel injected bikes so I'll just buy some hose by the foot and replace my lines. Bad idea.

The guy swore by the Motion Pro stuff, said it's what they use. Like a dimwit I installed it and went for a ride. 10 miles down the road the return line blew. I was able to trim 3 inches off and baby it back but 5 miles later she blew again. I coasted into a mini mart, gas all over the screaming hot engine, due to traffic. Good thing I fixed that plug wire shorting to the gas tank the day before.:think:

As far as I can tell so far Gates makes the only line that works in the tank with the 30R10 which is only sold at 1' lengths. Which is odd but it loks like they have the market cornered here. Anyone know a good source for european line?

And yes, I've called the dealer up here but they only sell each piece pre-cut and I want the tank lines a bit longer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if i recall correctly the napa people sell the gates 30r10 hose in bulk @ $18/ft.
edit: for outside the tank you can get the stuff from desmotiimes.com

·
Registered
523 Posts
For the outside fuel lines you need to use standard fuel injection hose. This is not the same stuff as might be used on carburetor based fuel systems. The Motion Pro site shows fuel line but doesn't say whether it's suitable for fuel injection systems which means it probably shouldn't be used. Most good auto parts stores should be able to sell you bulk lengths of fuel injection hose. The closest size to the original 8mm is 5/16ths. The very expensive Gates made 30R10 hose is a different type that is intended for use inside the tanks. There are other recent threads just this year that have thoroughly discussed this subject if you want to read more.
Bill W.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ducsbill, but I knew all that. My question was regarding the 90 degree angle of the vent/over flow lines. I searched it but don't see it and the parts diagrams aren't clear to me.

I guess I gotta call the dealer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
RE: The fuel injection lines, I just used the fuel injection lines from Autozone, they were much cheaper than NAPA and work just fine. Re: the vent line hose, be careful to route them correctly (I used standard auto hose) and just carefully set the tank down while you manually keep the lines from kinking. I had this same problem with lines after opening the tank up to replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Jasper,

Not sure what hoses you are referring to but here are a few pics from my recent overhaul. I used Napa as my supplier and the hose is SAE30R9 rated at 180 PSI. I realize this is not the spec 30R10 but from some of the research I did I believe they will be sufficient as long as you keep an eye on them. They are quite a bit less expensive. I think its most likely a good thing to swap these out every few years anyway and its not that much work IMO. Its been a couple months or so and I have had no issues. I'm sure someone on here will disagree with me but I guess I'll be the test mule if nothing else. Anyway goodluck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jasper,

Not sure what hoses you are referring to but here are a few pics from my recent overhaul. I used Napa as my supplier and the hose is SAE30R9 rated at 180 PSI. I realize this is not the spec 30R10 but from some of the research I did I believe they will be sufficient as long as you keep an eye on them.
Thanks for the photos, looks like you don't use a splitter on the breather and overflow. I am doing that to but with so little room it's a bit congested under there! I picked up a splitter at a Autozone and more R9 hose. I did that last year but didn't make them long enough to get the tank up near vertical so that's why I redid it recently with the so called gee wiz stuff.

The R9 in the tank has swelled up so that was the other motivating factor. So I ordered 3' of R10 at NAPA (1' pcs. $100!!!) so I don't have to eff with it again. It looks like Gates has the market sewed up on that stuff. I'm not a conspiracy minded guy but this is weird.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The R9 in the tank has swelled up so that was the other motivating factor. So I ordered 3' of R10 at NAPA (1' pcs. $100!!!) so I don't have to eff with it again. It looks like Gates has the market sewed up on that stuff. I'm not a conspiracy minded guy but this is weird.

It's worth it though. I just replaced the R9 in my 996 tank with R10. The stock hose had swollen and degraded to such a point that it split and crumbled, fouling my whole fuel system. The bike bucked and stalled so badly it became unrideable. With the R10 tolerance of modern fuel mixtures that should be a thing of the past. And yes, Gates has it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts