Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed the airbox from my bike to fit large filters and now there are two rubber hoses coming loose.
the big one is the crankcase breather, i'll fit a K&N on that one.
but the small one is coming from the fuel injectors, can i just fit a K&N on that one? inside that small rubber hose is a small aluminum piece with a small hole drilled in it, what's the purpose of that?
is it there to prevent the injectors from a kickback from the airbox?

if i put a new rubber hose on it with a K&N will it work or will i get problems adjusting the bike properly?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the supersport SS1000DS has the same injector bridge and there
is no hose on said connection, maybe you can do the same with
your bike and either route the small hose to the ground or get rid of
it completely.
it would help if you could come up with a picture of your injectorbridge,
to determ if we are talking about the same hose connection piece.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I believe you are talking about the intake/vent for the idle stepper motor. Most when switching to pod filters just put another small K&N filter on it and call it good. I imagine the aluminum insert you see is to reduce or meter the total airflow through the idle control, so might want to leave that in place.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used something similar to this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65978

It's an inline paint gun filter. It's designed to stop moisture and fine particles from getting into your hvlp spray equipment. I got mine off the Snap-on truck but Harbor freight has a very similar thing for under 3 bucks. I used a spare air hose adapter I had handy and away I went.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes that's the one:)
i thought that maybe the alluminum insert is there to reduce the intake pulses from the inlet tracks, especially if there is a kickback.

i left the insert out and put a small K&N in place but now i can't get my PCIII properly adjusted. is it possible that leaving the insert out causes these problems? (otherwise the PCIII is mallfunktion)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i believe our engines have an auto-idle that allows the ecu to adjust the afr at idle with the various components inside the throttle bodies. the small tube is the air intake for the auto-idle.

i'm pretty sure the little insert is an orofice that is set to provide the proper air for a stock setup (airbox) and shouldn't be necessary with a pcIII as you would map it to your bike on the dyno.

as with any tune, you will need to reset the tps and start with a blank setup before mapping of course...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Only thing is the PCIII map should be done with the bike fully warmed up, so the idle control would be at a min setting durring the tuning. Any other position could be wacky without the right metering. I was looking at this circuit the other day, seems it allows more air to flow into the throttle bodies (fed from that little hose/airbox/filter) as needed to keep the bike idleing when cold. Same effect as cracking the throttle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i put the little insert back and started all over again.
my conclusion is that the PC isn't working properly.
in the PCIII software i can highlight the throttle position and rpm on the screen in yellow, if i do so and the engine is running on normal operating temp. the motor is idling and then without reason the rpm(on the screen only, NOT the engine itself) is going to 2000/2500rpm and then back. sometimes it falls back to 0 rpm and then back to normal.
all this is without touching the throttle.
on the dyno, i gained some HP's but with strange small dips in the curve and only with a rich A/F.
sometimes the engine stalls without reason.

without the PCIII al is back to normal and the engine is running fine al over the rpm range.
the guy who imports the PCIII says, if i can send a map to it its not mallfunktioning but now i'm pretty sure it is:mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Possibly a bad connection/short in the PCIII wiring harness?
that's what i thougt but i made a new connection for the tps and double checked the other connections as well.

any body knows how the PCIII get his RPM information?
is it so that it just counts the number of injection cycles on the injectors?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts