Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in Australia's TWO WHEELS mag that one of the journo's wears compression wear, like sports people do in training, under his leathers, and was given this tip by a leathers manufacturer.
We are heading into winter down here in OZ so I am wondering about thermal style underwear or these new compression garments or a combo of both if thats feasible.
Do compression garments retain heat like thermals or are thermals the better allround alternative? Or are compression garments the new thermals?

I also wonder, in the event of an accident, what would be the outcome with heat generated would do to the spandex or elastene thats so close to your skin?
Do you melt plastic into your skin, making recovery worse or am I talking shit?

Craig

·
Registered
439 Posts
BMW stuff

Craig,

I almost bought a pair of BMW thermals that have a fine fleecy inner surface and a neoprene-like outer. The dealer says that they get the body up to a comfortable temperature and then after that they shed body heat to stop overheating. The price was A$180 and they had agreed to a reduced price of A$150. They seemed pretty good. My aim was to prevent overheating under leathers.

In the event I bought some armoured canvas/cordura BMW City pants that won't give me an overheating problem (for a trip to Europe for which I don't really want to carry heavy leathers), but I reckon those BMW liner pants are a good bet to stop overheating under leathers.

Re melting of material into skin during a slide then that's another issue of course and one that had also crossed my mind.

cheers,

Dave

·
Mr Leakered
8,900 Posts
I have some sport touring leather pants (Icon Automag) and an armored Firstgear leather jacket. Under these, I just wear my work clothes (jeans and tee shirt with a long sleeve shirt) pretty much year-round. If it's gets cold or wet, I put on a long, waterproof raincoat over my jacket, add a balaclava, and pull out the winter leather gloves. If it gets hot, I will go with just a tee shirt and maybe shorts under the leathers.

I have a few bits of Nike compression-wear. They seem to work better in summer, esp to keep the leathers from sticking and transport sweat. Although, I get stinkier that way. ;) In winter, compression-wear makes me colder, IMHO, whether riding or otherwise. They always seem to feel cold to my skin. For a base layer, I have some thin, loose fitting synthetics (Patagonia) that seem to suit me very well.

I always envy that the long break in the Southern Hemisphere comes over the holidays at the end of the year during your summer. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Under Armour compression heat gear in hot weather and cold gear in cool weather works well for me.

May want to post this in the superbike section as well. Fred

·
Registered
336 Posts
I usually where something like this...as long as it's not to cold out :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Alpinestars compression suit.

·
Premium Member
12,395 Posts
The warmest cold weather gear I've found is Helly Hanson Long Johns and zippered long sleeve under shirt Very thick Fleece like material . If you get cold in this stuff its cold out. I.ve been told that they use it on the oil rigs in the north sea. Even if you get wet or by sweating you will still be warm. Can almost be too warm just use it for the coldest days.

·
Registered
725 Posts
nothing under there

The LSR orgs strongly recommend cotton based material under your leathers to prevent synthetic material burning and melting to your skin in case of an extended slide.

On another note, the very first thing I did a few years ago after buying a new 1 piece suit was slide into them commando style.

... make em my own,...... you know

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
The LSR orgs strongly recommend cotton based material under your leathers to prevent synthetic material burning and melting to your skin in case of an extended slide.

On another note, the very first thing I did a few years ago after buying a new 1 piece suit was slide into them commando style.

... make em my own,...... you know
is that true? pretty scary. I wear underarmor and thought I was pretty smart... no sticking to inside of my suit, no smelly suit etc. So, you're saying that synthetic/stretchy materials melt into your skin? that's beyond gross and scary. I'm going to have to research this.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Like he said

Under Armour compression heat gear in hot weather and cold gear in cool weather works well for me.

May want to post this in the superbike section as well. Fred
+1

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
is that true? pretty scary. I wear underarmor and thought I was pretty smart... no sticking to inside of my suit, no smelly suit etc. So, you're saying that synthetic/stretchy materials melt into your skin? that's beyond gross and scary. I'm going to have to research this.
If you're sliding so long and so far, that your leathers burn through and cause your undergarments to melt... Well, you're going to be in a world of hurt anyway!

I wouldn't sweat it. Literally. :p

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I just crashed on the track and had my knee stuck under my bike dragging for 30 feet. My leathers have a big hole in them but my underarmor survived with just a tear.

I wear leathers a lot and have always worn the underarmor products. Though I did experiment with some other garments, none of them were to my fancy. Its important to wear something because the sweat will actually make your leathers stink and eventually expand to the point where you won't fit in them properly anymore.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
748 Posts
UnderArmor if you can afford it (of course you can, you drive a Duc) BUT.... I don't believe in paying for a name unless it's a Ducati.

That being said.. Hit up Wall Mart or Target, they have their own brand of UA and you will pay a fraction of the cost. It's what I use and works great.
I wear this in hot or cold weather. If ya ask me though, regardless of the temp outside, it's ALWAYS hot under a full suit. Just get what I told ya and you'll be fine. Hottest I've ridden in is over 110 outside, coldest prolly around mid/low 60's? I'm in CA and wont ride in anything colder than 60 degrees. Why would I want to risk a low-side?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just bought thermals top & bottoms for $43AUD delivered, we'll see how they go.

Thanks for everyones input, even yours Vonotto:D

Craig

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
In hot weather, briefs and a t-shirt.

In cool weather, cotton thermal stuff that I also wear while skiing.

Tom

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a global market

For the non US Duke owners amongst us:

Please enlighten us at what Under Armor (Armour ;) ) gear is made of and addresses of online suppliers. :rolleyes:

cheers,

Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts