Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think that is a fine Monster...but you will run somewhat into some of the issues that people were 1st mentioning in terms of the Sport1000 you 1st inquired about...you are much better off looking for an older 620 or 750 or 800 cc Monster to get yourself aquainted with riding since this is your 1st bike....less power and less of a chance to get yourself too deep into the throttle and into a situation you can't control....the 1000DS motor is used on alot of bikes throughout the Ducati line and is the top of the line Air cooled motor....not one to be taken lightly by a beginner...specially with the budget you mentioned of $5K....you can find a nice older 01/02/03 620 and have change leftover for gear or mods or whatever you find you may need!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is a month old, but I'll give you my 2-cents anyway. I own an '04 M1000Sie. I like it very much for the following reasons:

1) Plenty of power for all street and some track riding

2) Style is more retro, as compared to the newer Monsters.

3) Clean-looking lines, easy to maintain

4) Handles like a dream

5) Plenty of aftermarket bling available to customize it

Having said that, here are the compromises (as far as I'm concerned):

1) It doesn't fit everyone 'out of the box' - most of my mods have been to make it fit my riding style and physical dimensions.

2) Fuel tank smallish (~3 gal) - need to fill up every 110-120 miles, maybe less if spirited riding on slower roads

3) Air-cooled engine's EFI richens the mixture as the bike heats up (>210F) so the engine runs a little 'rougher' in stop/go traffic (not a big issue, just something that new owners might not understand)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transplant9 said:
This thread is a month old, but I'll give you my 2-cents anyway. I own an '04 M1000Sie. I like it very much for the following reasons:

1) Plenty of power for all street and some track riding

2) Style is more retro, as compared to the newer Monsters.

3) Clean-looking lines, easy to maintain

4) Handles like a dream

5) Plenty of aftermarket bling available to customize it

Having said that, here are the compromises (as far as I'm concerned):

1) It doesn't fit everyone 'out of the box' - most of my mods have been to make it fit my riding style and physical dimensions.

2) Fuel tank smallish (~3 gal) - need to fill up every 110-120 miles, maybe less if spirited riding on slower roads

3) Air-cooled engine's EFI richens the mixture as the bike heats up (>210F) so the engine runs a little 'rougher' in stop/go traffic (not a big issue, just something that new owners might not understand)
The syling of that monster is nice. I love it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Has the best 2V motor ever made by Ducati (worlds better than the 900), and the best suspension components they ever installed - higher spec than the current S2R1000, since rear shock is fully adjustable. If like me you prefer the air-cooled bikes, you would have to call it the best monster ever.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a M1000DS as a first bike?

not a smart feller are ye?

;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
transplant9 said:

I thought Monster tanks were like 4.4 gallons, no ? Are the newer ones that small ? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
my tank on my 900 is like 4.4....I got a tank from a 620 and it seems like it is more like 3.9...so I guess it varies based on model!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts