Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have to do is ask the Black bear that ran RIGHT out in front of me when I was moving along on a frost heaved twisty road in NH. Did I say he had brown eyes. I had to clamp 'em tight on a rough surfaced corner and the braking was magical; I have never ridden anything with such stopping perfection, and on a 650 pound motorcycle with a 180 pound rider. Not even a tire squeel.

By the way, I bled my own brakes last Spring. And all though it takes some savy, it is certainly doable.

2002 K1200RS: first choice for the street.
2000 748S: #2 in the stable

·
Registered
33 Posts
The '05 and '06 brakes can only be bled utilizing the dealer's computer according to this months BMW Owner's News. The others are just a royal pain.

I am sorry that I even jumped into the BMW brake fray here. They are what they are. Love em or hate em. I had em and now I don't. Good riddance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the ABS/Linked Package on my R1100S...

and that was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of that bike. They were way too sensitive at lower speeds and had absolutely no feel. In all fairness, I never had to clamp down on them in an emergency, so I can't say what would have happened then, as I didn't keep the bike long enough for that to happen.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I didn't find them to be grabby a slow speeds at all. This was on a test ride of the new K late last fall. I'd heard the servo assist brakes were touchy but they did not live up their billing. I didn't get a chance to test the ABS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That bike had servo assist, as well...

so that may have been what I didn't like about the oversensativity/grabbiness at lower speeds. Hard to say, because it all comes in the same package.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
(1) BMW ABS brakes have saved my butt several times. I was on the interstate one day when a dope in the left lane jammed on his brakes and cut across the right lane to get an exit he almost missed. Traffic STOPPED in front of me. I grabbed a handful of brakes - felt the ABS pulsing - and stopped straight and true about a foot from the rear bumper of the car in front of me. I am convinced that without ABS I would have gone over the trunk or slid into another lane where I would have been run over. It is entirely possible that a person who is prepared to stop can stop quicker and in a shorter distance with normal (non ABS/non linked) brakes but in a panic situation I prefer ABS.

(2) All BMW brake systems are not the same. The systems are different in different models.

On my GS the front brake lever actuates front and rear brakes. The rear foot lever actuates the rear brake. On a GS you can turn off ABS but cannot turn off the Servo. (The servo assisted brakes are another "topic of discussion" with BMW riders.)

On an LT all brakes are linked (I think).

(3) I could care less if the dealer has to bleed my brakes. I'm not going to do it anyway. (When it comes to newer motorcycles, I'm not mechanically inclined. The "work" that I do on my motorcycles consists of washing, waxing, checking the oil and adding air to the tires.)

(4) I have not missed ABS/Linked brakes on any of the Ducatis that I have owned. If ABS were an option I would probably get it. It's not so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have an '02 1200KRS and I love the brakes. I think they are superior to my '05 ST4s. Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting to each bikes characteristics. One thing for sure, I would always want ABS on my bikes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 2001 K1200RS and have yet to unintentionally activate the ABS.
For the street the ABS system is a good thing, but for the track I would
definitely not want it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts