Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of selling my baby:

and i just wanted to get an idea of what she's worth.
She has roughly 15k loved miles.
Same as the pic plus cycle cat rear sets w/ gp shifter, billet pressure plate, ncr titanium clutch cover.
Pic shows the full termi exhuast and is chipped to match.

She has had all her shots :p and is currently paid up through the 30k service (ie she has a paid service plan for the 18, 24 and all the oil changes you want in between via spectrum ducati aprilla)

Will go w/ a ducati performance dust cover, a dowco outdoor cover (for ontop of the dust cover) and rear stand.

She has lived her life in a garage for the 7k that i have owned her. Reccently replaced chain and sprockets. geared more for highway as she is my commuter bike (if you could call what i do commuting :) )

any thoughts ideas comments? I know it's a hard color to find, and i paid a preatty penny for her when I bought her but i feel it was worth every penny.

lmk

chris-

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I will buy that exact bike some day, it looks so good, don't sell it unless you are hard up for cash. You really took care of it too. It is an 's' and slightly moded so I'd pay 7 for it, and thats fairly good I think, but it will be a year or so before i'm back on my feet and able to afford anything.

I'm no authority on in cost, perhaps my 7k is off (high?), though it does have the 17k miles. i'm just talking/writing

·
Registered
53 Posts
there's one on ebay with 10k miles, going for 7,600. 7000 may bit high, but not by much. I'm sure someone would take it at that price.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
nice bike....and as far as the service plan...doesn't do too much good if the next person that owns her isn't anywhere near Spectrum Ducati & Aprilia......but I'll give ya about tree fitty for her!....LOL....seriously though...I'd say your Senna 748S on the open market despite its goodies in its condition and milage would fetch about $6500ish fairly.....maybe $7K if the person is bent on Senna and in a bidding war with someone....but if I were you...I'd keep her!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm... i was thinking more... :( this is why I am asking you guys for your thoughts. thanks for the info... IT WILL BE STAYING IN MY GARAGE for that price... i can hold it until the service plan runs out at 30k... 15k miles to go :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
there is one on ebay right now w/ 10k miles, or is it 11k. anyway, its up to 7.5k with a day of bidding left. it may go for 8k. use it as a reference point.

and if you are going to sell it, which you shouldn't, ask whoever does your service if they would be willing to feild calls for people interested in your ride. the miles is what make people feel fear in the purchase. even japanese bike over 12k miles drop a lot in price.

also, how you describe your bike when you sell it is important, because only people "in the know" want what you have, people like me who will collect and use his bikes. see how well you do with what i ask

1)do you have the paper work for schedual maintainance? If so was it done one time?

2)you have 15k miles, have you ever had your rocker arms replaced?

3)has the bike ever been dropped or damaged

4) what kind of miles are on the bike?

5) how often was the bike ridden?

6) what has been replaced? and what, if anything has been modified?

7) ever any mechanical malfunctions

8)why, OH WHY, are you selling the bike?

9)do all of the people of the earth love to rock and roll?

these are some things i consider in a bike, and to know what to say will help you in the $. use these questions to help with selling (why would i help you sell it). i left several things out, but for now see what you come up with, even still i think $7000 americans is what you can expect as a good deal.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
what i find bizzare is that at 15thousand miles its considered high mileage.i think if everybody went riding more we could lose this attitude thats brought on buy all the ultra low mile bikes .if i see 1 more bike with less than a thousand miles for sale i'm gonna scream(end rant)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
+1

kaos said:
what i find bizzare is that at 15thousand miles its considered high mileage.i think if everybody went riding more we could lose this attitude thats brought on buy all the ultra low mile bikes .if i see 1 more bike with less than a thousand miles for sale i'm gonna scream(end rant)

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's like a baseball card, The right buyer will pay want you want if you are patient.
Remember how you felt when you researched it, decided to purchase it, and all the compliments that you've gotten on it..?

Don't sell it... unless you are trading up :) (which would be difficult)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
kaos said:
I don't think it is so much the high milage end of it...I think it is more the proximity to a major service interval paired with the known issue of rocker flaking and it usually being discovered at that major service interval and then major service becoming major repair....at least that is the stigma that a dealership will portray to get more money out of a client....but maybe that is just my thinking as to how sheep read this whole endevour.....that and Ducati's aren't known really as a high milage brand and I think it is because of the maintenance involved with them....you think high milage brands...you think unfortunatly of Honda and BMW...or at least I do...and on either of those brands....15K is just broken in....at least once again...that is my opinion....but also in my opinion....bikes are made to be ridden...and anything I own...I ride alot...because they aren't made or designed to be stationary art!...they are art in motion!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow i walk away from this thread from a day and I feel like i didn't even start the thread :p

Truly thank you for all the info. I realize the right buyer is out there somewhere but I truly do love my bike. The only reason to sell would be to raise capital for the all important downpayment... (we know where this is going) but my problem stems from the indecision of knowing what I will rest easier obtaining... a stable residence of my own... or the bike of my dreams that can truly convert thought into motion when i ride it... worlds best therapy if you ask me :)

as for wording yes i realize that when selling you have to detail what you have for sale and all neccesary info (service history etc. etc.) My major thought was that if i could sell it in the socal area the new owner could make use of the service plan that is already bought and paid for... heck even their oil changes would be free!!! I felt that had the power to at least raise the price upwards to around 9k? maybe more... especially considering the stand,cover,exhuast, and minor mods combo...

in the end it was a just a question of thought... what do you guys feel it would be realistically worth... and if that number was anywhere near the number in my head then maybe I could justify the shot to my soul. But i guess in the end it's going to get put in the garage where it will live happily ever after w/ me.

chris-

·
Registered
130 Posts
unfortunately, it doesn't matter what we think it's worth; it's going to come down to timing and if that special buyer is out there, in the market for a well-looked after bike with some nice upgrades. the forum says between 6500-7500 and i'm sure blue book is closer to 6500, so there's the answer. if you're waiting for someone to come out and say that it's worth 10k, then i'll do it, but it won't do you any good because i'm not looking for a 748. it's a beautiful bike, you shouldn't sell it hastliy(if at all) because you won't get what you want for it and you'll regret it later. i'd take some really good pics and put up some ads at various italian bike dealerships, and maybe some forums; i don't think ebay is your friend on this one. additionally, you could maybe engage in some illegal activities (drugs, gambling, robbery, etc.) to raise the money so you don't have to sell it. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
that said, it wouldn't be worth it to sell it (in my opinion) for less than 9k (unless you were going to get out of motorcycling forever). if someone really wants a nice 748 they will buy it; it might just take longer. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts