Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it appears that Ducati does a major refresh every 5 years ("2nd Gen" 2010 - 2014, DVT 2015 - 2019), what do you think will happen for 2020? New tupperware design, larger displacement twin, V4, etc? Thoughts, fantasies, inside knowledge?

Although I am perfectly happy with my '14PP (had an '11, '12, and now my 2nd '14), and am not thrilled enough by the DVT to upgrade to that iteration, my extended warranty expires in June of 2020 so I will have to make a move. Just pondering if waiting for the 2020 will be worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
V4 Streetfighter I'm thinking will be next year's big announcement.

I'd be surprised if they did anything major to the 1260 Multi next year.

·
Registered
468 Posts
V4 Streetfighter I'm thinking will be next year's big announcement.

I'd be surprised if they did anything major to the 1260 Multi next year.
Concur. I think they’re taking a Streetfighter prototype to Pikes Peak this year in advance of an on-sale date next year. V4 Multi comes later.

That said, when the V4 does come to the Multistrada, I will be right up front in line, as long as it looks similar enough that my wife can’t tell the difference.*

*That's a joke, sort of. She didn’t notice my Hyperstrada turned into a Multistrada until a week later when she noticed the dealer tag.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Concur. I think they’re taking a Streetfighter prototype to Pikes Peak this year in advance of an on-sale date next year. V4 Multi comes later.

That said, when the V4 does come to the Multistrada, I will be right up front in line, as long as it looks similar enough that my wife can’t tell the difference.*

*That's a joke, sort of. She didn’t notice my Hyperstrada turned into a Multistrada until a week later when she noticed the dealer tag.
I'll sell my left nut for the V4 streetfighter if it maintains the good looks of the last gen SF's (which IMO are better looking than any of the current supernaked's)... but I'll stick with twin ADV bikes, I think it's the right number of cans for the big adventure genre.

·
Registered
91 Posts

ha, now that is funny! i had a friend that bought a second bike and rode it to work for several weeks before his wife found out. i guess she finally went into the garage while he was out and couldn't figure how he was getting around as both is his car and first bike were still parked. i can't imagine what he was thinking or how long he expected to get away with that.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
468 Posts
ha, not that is funny! i had a friend that bought a second bike and rode it for several weeks before his wife found out. i guess he finally went into the garage while he was out and couldn't figure how he was getting around as both is his car and first bike were still parked. i really don't know what he was thinking - how long he expected to get away with that.
I caught A LOT of shit (deservedly) for my stunt. But if my plates had come a little earlier, I’d have pulled it off completely!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'll sell my left nut for the V4 streetfighter if it maintains the good looks of the last gen SF's
A new SF would be nice but I would want it as a 1299 V2 for the torque and lower valve service cost.
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the 959 Panigale a facelift.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, would not have considered a renewal of the SF as it didn't sell very well in the first iteration. I was wondering more about the multi and what changes folks think might show up on the 2020's.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ducati has made public statements about a radar collision avoidance system coming to the lineup, and while they said it's coming to all bikes eventually, the Multi will probably get it first. 2020 is supposed to be the year it happens. I look for the 1260 to get a mid-model makeover incorporating that system as well as other incremental upgrades. What those might be is anyone's guess, but if they are trying to keep pace with BMW, the software side of the bike interface needs some work. Ducati's whole infotainment system is worse overall than the beemer stuff.

·
Registered
396 Posts
1260 is the max capacity the current twin motor can go to.
I'd expect the Panigale twin motor will go into the next multi.
Don't think a 16 valve V4 would be a good idea on a touring/adv bike, desmo service going to cost a lot (more often).

To fit in with Ducatis 5 year cycle,
the multi could turn into a sports tourer, different fairing/tank/seat shape, same electronics, 1299 Panigale twin.
The enduro becoming the only multistrada with the 1299 Panigale twin.
The 950 Multi goes to the 959 Panigale motor.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Don't think a 16 valve V4 would be a good idea on a touring/adv bike, desmo service going to cost a lot (more often).

the multi could turn into a sports tourer, different fairing/tank/seat shape, same electronics, 1299 Panigale twin.
Really? I'd put up big money against that call.
The power of the Panigale's Superquadro engines comes at the top end of the RPM range. Not exactly Multistrada material.
Although I prefer the Testastretta DVT V2, a de-tuned V4 has a better chance of going into the Multi than the Superquadro IMO.
Notwithstanding, I would like the big Superquadro engine in a new SF.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hmm, would not have considered a renewal of the SF as it didn't sell very well in the first iteration.
That's very true. The SF did not sell well. Maybe it was ahead of its time.
Although I like my Monster 1200R, I don't consider it a Hypernaked like the SF, SuperDuke or the Tuono.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The V4 SF isnt likely to be a direct swap motor from the superbike due to the way it makes power. They will have to redesign the cams and the way to flows fuel and air to make power sooner which also means it wont make the peak HP that the Pani V4 does but will likely create the torque that everyone wants in a bike like the SF and MS. While the V4 Pani is fantastic on the track most dont want to be high in the rpm to feel the excitement while on the street, especially on a bike like the SF and MS. I would guess that the revised motor intended for the SF will be the motor in the new MS. This is what I speculate will happen.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hmm, would not have considered a renewal of the SF as it didn't sell very well in the first iteration. I was wondering more about the multi and what changes folks think might show up on the 2020's.
In a recent interview the CEO of Ducati hinted twards the rebirth of the Streetfighter in V4 form to compete with the KTM Superduke. This was the conversation

AcidMoto.ch: Okay. Let’s talk about the V4. The Panigale V4R wins all the votes, although we have not yet had the honor to test it. Can we hope that this engine is found on other motorcycles, a Streetfighter V4 for example?

Claudio Domenicali: Do you think that Ducati should produce such a motorcycle?

AcidMoto.ch: Yes, there is a big demand, it’s a question that often comes back to our readers.

Claudio Domenicali: Then she will be there as soon as possible!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Although I like my Monster 1200R, I don't consider it a Hypernaked like the SF, SuperDuke or the Tuono.
I think maybe you have it... the S1000R, MT10 and Tuono Factory all are the same sort of bike the SF was (Superbike parts bin - detuned, more comfortable posture, less fairing), and while I'm not sure about sales numbers they certainly do get a lot of attention online and in the mc media. The Super Duke is a bit of it's own thing... a super naked clean sheet design.

IMO - ADV bikes should be twins, the power delivery of a big twin feels just right on the Multi... and the focus on a fat torque curve. I'd rather see a V4 SF or maybe a V4 SS (though that would be pretty close to a Pani at that point).

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I think maybe you have it... the S1000R, MT10 and Tuono Factory all are the same sort of bike the SF was (Superbike parts bin - detuned, more comfortable posture, less fairing), and while I'm not sure about sales numbers they certainly do get a lot of attention online and in the mc media. The Super Duke is a bit of it's own thing... a super naked clean sheet design.

IMO - ADV bikes should be twins, the power delivery of a big twin feels just right on the Multi... and the focus on a fat torque curve. I'd rather see a V4 SF or maybe a V4 SS (though that would be pretty close to a Pani at that point).

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
ha, now that is funny! i had a friend that bought a second bike and rode it to work for several weeks before his wife found out. i guess she finally went into the garage while he was out and couldn't figure how he was getting around as both is his car and first bike were still parked. i can't imagine what he was thinking or how long he expected to get away with that.
I got away with that for quite a while with the '12 multi. Got busted when a friend asked me how I liked the new bike, with my wife within earshot...
I'm lucky in that she doesn't really care how many bikes I have.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Super Duke is a bit of it's own thing... a super naked clean sheet design.
Interesting that you would say that. Even the Monster is hard to pigeon hole. Performance wise, It fits with the hypernaked without the Rad look yet I can cruise with some of the Harley buddies and not standout too much until I pull away that is.
Some bikes are clearly alone. The Diavel comes to mind. I have no clue what that is but it's sure fun to ride once in awhile.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got away with that for quite a while with the '12 multi. Got busted when a friend asked me how I liked the new bike, with my wife within earshot...
I'm lucky in that she doesn't really care how many bikes I have.
Yeah, the earful I got was not about the purchase, but the method in which I conducted it.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I think that your conjectures are quite possible and more in line with past progressions of Ducati lineups, and they do seem to follow a 5 year cycle.
"...the multi could turn into a sports tourer, different fairing/tank/seat shape, same electronics, 1299 Panigale twin" this one being the most enticing and probably the most likely....at least we can hope so!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts