Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you pack when you go on tour? I define a tour as a trip of three days or more away from home. Post up your list and I will plead with Scott to make this a sticky in the Rides Forum so we can all quickly refer to it in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Great idea Bill. Here is my list, so apart from your clothes and toiletries, medication if any, this is what we pack:

Tools, a few such as set of ball end allen keys, 8, 10, 12, 13mm sockets and an extension, pointy nose pliers
Spare parts as we think appropriate, we sometimes pack o rings for the quick release fasteners on our fuel tanks.
Cable ties (a small bunch)
Some elastic type straps with velcro - always useful in an emergency we use http://www.andystrapz.com/productdetails.php?pid=35&BACK=46
Chain Lube (although we run scottoilers and just fill them up before we leave)
Puncture Repair Kit with Carbon Dioxide cartridges.
Small pencil torch - maglite or similar great for finding your way around unfamiliar places when the lights go off, or for peering into bits of your bike if you happen to drop something:D
Tyre Pressure Gauge (your own is always better than the service station's!)
Bottle Opener (we use a waiter's friend, has corkscrew and knife and thing for taking the tops off cleansing ales)
Sunblock (your neck will get blasted with sun and wind, put some on)
Stubby Holders (Australian for neoprene sleeve to hold small bottle of cleansing ale)
Maps or GPS
Insect Repellent
Caps/Hat for being off the bike in our hot sun. We have a hole in the Ozone layer down here.
Turtle Fur (neck warmer)
Lip salve
Earplugs - a couple of spares are good too.
Mobile Phone Charger
Vitamin C (if you are feeling tired and run down - just take a few tablets)
Laundry Powder - just a bit in a snap lock bag to wash your clothes out at night) should keep the authorities amused if they do a search.
Magnesium salt mix for rehydration helps those muscles feel better after a long day
Pain killer of some kind - we take half a blister sheet of Neurofen or Advil
Hay fever medication - non drowsy (as it is an anti-histamine will also help with other allergic reactions) - half a foil blister sheet will do.
Rain jacket and overpants - it always rains when we go away!!
Disposable food preparation gloves x 2 pairs - great for wearing underneath your leather gloves when it rains - helps with wind chill.
Plastic bags x 2 for putting over socks and inside your boots keep feet dry - if it isn't going to rain - useful for dirty clothes.

·
Premium Member
8,682 Posts
Nothing much because I would transport my bike to the destination via enclosed trailer. Hahaha. That way I could take a 749R, if I had one.

I would like to see a list just in case.

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Mobile phone, credit cards and cash, and my break-down insurance card.

Anything else depends on the weather, which bike, etc.

The 999R needs the least tools, just a 6mm wrench to bleed the clutch master cylinder at high altitudes.

With the Guzzis, enough to do a minor engine rebuild. Usually don't need them myself, but my friends with the '60s Brit iron are happy to know I'm well equiped, as they often do.

Tom

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ditto 748girls list, minus the hat because, well, just because. Plus a portable hand pump.

Which reminds me, I have a trip to Nor Cal in the early fall :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
For 3-5 day trips, a tank bag with:
A fresh pair of underwear
A T-shirt
Sunglasses
Garmin GPS
Set of basic tools
Ipod
Earplugs
And ofc the normal stuff like phone/money etc.

EDIT: I always try to bring a toothbrush etc.... however just like when making this list i forgot about those. I usually get them from a gas station :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I take

Sunglasses
Titanium Fork and Bowl
Alcohol Tabs
Exacto Knife
Organic Bug Spray(essential)
Phone Camera (Samsung Memoir)
Fishing Pole collapsible 1lb
Tent - One Prsn - 3lbs
Sleeping Bag - 45 deg
SealSkins water proof socks
Puma Desmo Boots
Lures and Flies
HeadLamp
Black Parachute
Stuff Sack for Clothing
HH Marine Rain Jacket
Floss and Mouth wash
Chain Lube
National Park Pass
Stash of Chinese green tea
Ear Plugs
Allen Wrench
Surgical Forceps
Spare Key
Headphones
CamelBack
River Shorts
Chap Stick
Rope
Ducati WayPoints
Hot Spring WayPoints
Lookout Shelters WayPoints
Extra Fuel Cell under seat
MRE
Maps & Packing Tape
Pelican Case
SmartWool Socks
Pencil
Commando Style
Little screwdriver for the mirrors
Couple g's

·
Registered
104 Posts
US bound

Just about to pick a 999s from Indianapolis and ride it back to LA. Dont even know which way to go yet. Been downloading maps but too much choice. Want to stay off freeways. Any tips
Len

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just about to pick a 999s from Indianapolis and ride it back to LA. Dont even know which way to go yet. Been downloading maps but too much choice. Want to stay off freeways. Any tips
Len
West to SF area via lake tahoe - Start down the 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge then take PCH all the way to LA. This section of the Pacific Coast Highway is unforgettable.

BTW - 101 and PCH are one and the same in many places but split apart for small towns etc.

Also take a detour for Solvang when you get near there - it's worth a look to see a Denmark-esque town in Central California.

And if you've really got extra time start in Eureka and check out the Avenue of the Giants.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tour on my Sprint ST and usually am out for a month or two, camping.

my list:

backpacking tent,sleeping bag, small air mattress,compact electric tire pump w/adaptor
nerd light (aka white and red LED headlamp with flashing function for emergency road use)
GPS, cel phone, mobile charger
REV-it Cayenne pro suit, so no need for a rainsuit
electric vest for high altitude, warm and cool weather gloves
sunglasses, sunblock, earplugs

spare quart oil, chain lube, clip-style master link, spare clutch cable, spare headlight and stoplight bulbs, tire plug kit (automotive rope-style), spare set of keys for the bike -can't stress that enough - small tube of PC7 putty-style epoxy, several zip ties, small roll electrical tape, small roll safety wire, 3" square of medium grit emery cloth, 3" square of aluminum foil, pair quality disposable latex gloves, film can of pumiced fast orange hand cleaner

tools: common allen bits for the bike, mini vice grips (the real ones, not the cheap imitations), usual stock tool kit, quality long handle 1/4" rachet and selected small sockets, one single edge razor blade

The epoxy putty, sandpaper, safety wire, electrical tape and mini vice grips are handy if you drop your bike in the middle of nowhere and tear off a hard bag, snap off the footpeg and shifter and hole your engine cover, like I did. You straighten the bag brackets with the vice grips, swap the passenger peg to the driver location and wire in place, clamp the vice grips onto the shift shaft and wire shut so you can shift again, then sand the hole in the engine case and epoxy so the oil stays in the engine. Then ride the bike so repaired from the end of the PCH to Olympia, WA. where parts are available & more permanent repairs can be made.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just a whole lot of crystal, a .45 and my health insurance card

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Tyre repair kit, toothbrush, hat, sunscreen, t shirt/undies, wallet, weed and phone. Also a roll of duct tape and as many tools as I have room for.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Depends on whether I'm taking the SS1000DS (highly likely) or the 998 Bayliss. But, in either case, it starts with: tools, tent, thermarest pad, sleeping bag, safety wire & pliers,....from there it's whatever I think I need for that trip specifically.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah.. You need very much CASH and CREDIT CARDS.. In cases of all cases.. In your Sleep wherever, well food and drinks, also a bottle opener for the beers! :D

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Not yet mentioned...

-Minimalist first aid kit to include codeine (ask your Dr for a half dozen for your emergency kit or buy over the counter in a Canada)) and superglue. For cuts, it's the best.
- 1' of Duc (sic) tape rolled onto an ink pen for misc repairs.
-sena smh10
- lightening juicepack for charging the phone, iPad, Sena or even jumps starting the bike
- orange pledge and micro fiber cloth to wipe down the windshield and my helmet/ lens at gas stops. I'll usually hit the fairing too cause it's so dam easy. Takes the bugs right off. Bonus- it smells good.
- iPad for evening reading.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts