Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

As the best riding months come to a close, what do you have planned for your ST in the off season? Just maintenance or any mods? Which ones?

Myself, this is the year I plan to tear apart my taillight housing and build one from LEDs using the stock lens. If it comes out well I'll document it and toss it up for general consumption (and humiliation for the purists). It would be nice to have lots more light back there with less potential for failure as well.

Other than an oil change that's about it for me, our off season is mostly the rainy months, and since I ride purely for pleasure any more I consider the rainy and cold days as off season. In my youth I rode all the time, once loaded skis on the back of my Kawasaki (with boots and ski gloves in the trunk) and rode up into snow country for a day of skiing...but not any more. And certainly not on the Duc. :D

Anyway, just wondering what your projects were for the winter of 09-10.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless there is snow on the road I will be riding. No projects for the bikes but I do have my eye out for a 999S to add to the stable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I'll actually be getting a 848 next month, not an ST, pretty much right at the start of off season. And i'm going to ride that thing as much as I can!

·
Registered
275 Posts
No off months here .... with the exception of those 105+ degree days just past, some of the best days are ahead:D

Time to get leather'd-up :yeah: Baby !!!!!

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Continue recovering from my accident and getting a new ride. There is no off season here, just rain delays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Off-Season'?

Here in Tucson the good riding has just begun. Other than the early sunset the weather is terrific!

·
Registered
142 Posts
this year is going to be a full one...

-tear down engine
-valve adjustment
-check engine bearings
-re-ring fbf pistons because i screwed up fitting them last year
-new chain+sprockets
-modify and fit ohlins steering stabilizer
-if time allows tiding up the paint

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Storage around mid November. The maintenance is done and I also installed an unused 1098 take-off clutch basket, hub and plates... All new again! My original clutch, although working fine, was pretty cooked at 24K. Still some meat left on the frictions, but the tangs and basket were hammered!

My off (riding) season is completely slammed. I have no real free time at all. I photograph high school hockey two or three games a week. I also occasional stand in for a guy who shoots gymnastics. The competitive season runs about the same as HS hockey. It seams like I‘m always somewhere shooting, or in front of my computer processing and posting. There would be little time to ride even if there wasn’t snow everywhere!

·
Registered
439 Posts
No off season here either.

The good weather should just be starting here, but at the moment it's a bit cool (12-16 Deg C in Canberra).

We are lucky to be able to ride all year. I do feel for you guys in the mid-west and Eastern states though.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Unless we ride in the local mountains, there is no "off" season here either. Can be cold for riding though. A buddy gave me a heated vest last year that I never hooked up until the other day. Hopefully it will extend my riding time in the saddle. You know what they say, the "OLDER" you get, the comfort factor becomes more and more important.

When I lived in Fort Collins, Co. 20+ years ago, I really looked forward to the off season. Deer, Elk and Pheasant hunting kept my mind off the cold.

Have a great season. Fred

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The truely good riding weather has just started here as well, Oct through April is prime season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just had 16" of heavy wet snow that probably won't last but the season is coming to a close. I'll try to squeak in a few more small day trips before it gets really cold. Almost time for the 6000 mile belt/valve/throttle body work but it'll probably wait until spring.

Perhaps it's time to think about a snowmobile...

·
Registered
222 Posts
No off season here in San Diego - some mountain areas may become off limits due to snow but desert canyons still great - I just finished painting/repairing and installing my ST4s saddlebags and mounting hardware, I'm putting on some Michelin Pilot Powers I just bought, installing my 42 tooth steel sprocket that just arrived (adjusting rear ride height strut while tire's off), deciding what front fork springs to upgrade to. After that, it's the quiet clutch mod and the poorhouse.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Just been through the "off season" down here..

Hello
Well, down here in south Texas, as others have pointed out, our "on" season is just starting.
I'm getting my long dreamed about/finally finished-up St "mistress" bike ready to dyno, reckon she'll be mostly a cooler-weather beast due to the high-comp motor. I believe she will be a looker, for a sport-tourer, anyway. She turns my head, anyway. Just finishing some wiring chores on her.
The sT bike just clicked over 60k miles (no "off" season for her...) and I think she's pretty current, but I may get her suspenders tuned-up while the "mistress" and I are getting acquainted. Have some spare heads at the DucShop that may get finished and installed on her, as well, during the winter.
Get some spare wheels and bits powder-coated....Get my old BMW cafe put back together...There's always stuff to do when you've got a few bikes around, especially older ones!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts