Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to use my Hyper for daily errands - 45 mpg compared to my MDX's 16 (around town) is good... plus it's so much more fun to ride!

The biggest deterrence for me is that I have to carry my helmet around! I almost dropped it yesterday trying to get money out of my wallet at Subway...

I don't really want to leave it on the bike unless I'm running in for literally a second - like at the Post Office. But carrying it around Home Depot is a drag.

I've been looking at backpacks that have helmet storage. Found a few that have a "parachute" type contraption off the back that will hold the helmet without losing interior space. But I'm not too crazy about the "pregnant back" look with the helmet sticking out so far!

Joe Rocket makes a nice looking pack with an "integrated" helmet pocket that brings the helmet inside the pack. You lose some interior space, but I'm just looking at this for local errands.

What you YOU guys do? Which packs work best? I'd want something fairly small/light. ie: not really for a weekend trip.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use the bike daily for work around Manhattan. I have the Coretech tail bag which is fantastic. I keep the cover in it all the time and when I park the bike the cover comes out and the helmut goes in. I should try fitting the full face helmut in the bag but I dont see it being a problem. The bag was $63 bucks at newenough.com http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_tail_bag.html

I posted a picture some time back in a luggage discussion on here. The bag is expandable too so I used it for a weekend trip with 2 days clothing. I just ordered the matching saddle bags.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I leave the helmet on the bars and run a Targus computer lock through it.

Not perfect, but a good deterrent. And, the cable fits in my pocket.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Touratech tailbag that fits the Hyper perfectly and I love it, but the full face doesn't quite fit... especially if there's anything else in there.

The lock idea is on the radar... I hate to leave the lid out there in the sun. Maybe the PacSafe helmet bag which has a slash-proof mesh net inside a waterproof cover that locks to the bike? :think:

I found this Bags-Connection backpack. Perfect size/look with a nicely integrated helmet holder, but I can't find a USA dealer (some places cary Bags-Connection stuff, but not the backpacks...)

http://bagsconnection.com/biker_rucksaecke/818__Backpack_Aeropack_600D_Nylon_Black_15L.html

Going on a reconnaissance mission today to some local bike stores the see what they've got.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a bicycle combination lock that I bought from Home Depot and it works perfect. It stays in my tail bag when I am not using it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Joe Rocket Blaster Back Pack
Overview

The only pack you will find with more high-tech features than the BLASTER BACKPACK from JOE ROCKET, is probably hanging on a hook in a space station somewhere. Constructed of wind/water resistant 1000 DENIER nylon, it features a molded EVA clamshell helmet storage compartment, compression straps for reduced turbulence, a removable cell phone pocket and audio ready system for your MP3 player. For the utmost in comfort, this pack features adjustable shoulder, chest, and waist straps, with raised EVA back pads for cool air circulation between the backpack and rider.

Site: http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/120/165/Luggage/Blaster_Backpack

$99

·
Registered
208 Posts
I leave the helmet on the bars and run a Targus computer lock through it.

Not perfect, but a good deterrent. And, the cable fits in my pocket.

I do the same thing with an older bicycle lock (very similar). I actually wrap the lock around the bars for transport and then put the helmet over the handguard and lock it with the lock part showing so anyone that looks will see it's "locked".

I have been doing this for 2 years with no problems. If someone wanted it a pair of dikes could cut it easily but who carries those around and if they did they are getting it anyways.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe Rocket Blaster Back Pack
Yeah, that's the one I mentioned in my 1st post.

I read somewhere that it's really LONG, and hits the back of the helmet. I'm hoping when I get out to the the shops later today they will have one I can see in person.

I found a site where I can get the Bags-Connection pack from England.

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Backpacks.html

I'm also looking at the Oakley "Tool Pouch 3.0", which has an integrated bicycle helmet holder which looks like it'll expand enough to fit a FF helmet.

http://oakley.com/catalog/products/tool-pouch-3-0-backpack

And Alpinestars has the "Tech Aero Backpack" which looks sleek, and has a helmet holder...

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Tech_Aero_Backpack--641539.html

Decisions, decisions! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That actually looks cool... I like that the helmet is slung underneath the pack. But it's a "magnetic tank bag". How comfortable is it as a backpack-while-riding? The straps look like they are plain nylon webbing...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That actually looks cool... I like that the helmet is slung underneath the pack. But it's a "magnetic tank bag". How comfortable is it as a backpack-while-riding? The straps look like they are plain nylon webbing...
I only use it as a back pack. I actually forgot it was a tank bag :eek:. It's very comfortable for me. The shoulder straps are wide (and padded) like a regular back pack. The straps for the helmet are just plain nylon. There are a few storage pockets inside the bag too.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the JR Blaster pack. It is long and if you have a tail pack it will hit that on the bottom. Its very well made with good support. I only use it in spring/fall when I carry a lot of extra stuff like electric gear.

I also have the Joe Rocket Space Pack, an expandable tail pack that can hold a helmet. It even looks like the half round helmet section of the backpack. That may be what your looking for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The space pack is cool... I'd need to lock it, though.

I actually saw that helmet secure today in a magazine. It's pretty damn expensive (the Motorcyclist review even said it's cheaper just to buy a new 1/2 lid if it gets stolen!) and I wish it came in matte black.

That said, it really may be the best option! I wonder if it would mount on the frame of the Hyper?

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
My temporary solution...

The padlock is probably overkill, but it stays in place and doesn't rattle or get in the way of anything whilst riding.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I put my helmet over the right side bar end, and then lock it with a cable. The cable snakes through the full face helmet opening and under the bar support. There is a combination lock that terminates the loop, like in the pic. This is OK for parking at work, but if I am in a sketchy area, or need to leave the bike for longer...I take it with me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
have you looked at the lidsafe secure helmet bags from packsafe?

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=27[/URL]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
have you looked at the lidsafe secure helmet bags from packsafe?

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=27[/URL]
Yep. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

I actually found an UnderArmor backpack that has a big mesh "sack" that hangs off the bottom (for a basketball or soccer ball...). Once you've filled it, it clips up to the top of the pack, so the helmet (or other gear) doesn't dangle down. Pretty interesting.

No shops in my area had any Motorcycle-specific packs to look at. Even the Joe Rocket pack, which I figured they'd all have.

I DID find a super-cool little tank bag made by Rapid Transit. Fits/mounts beautifully on the Hyper, and looks WAY better than anything else I've seen.

I'm leaning toward the helmetsecure thingie. Expensive, but it's always there, and the frame on the Hyper is about the same diameter as the handlebars, so I could mount it there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts