Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Seattle the weather is intermittently sunny/dry until July - June is worse than May - Im not complaining, not after living here for over 30 years. When I cant ride due to wet weather I peruse this site and dream of riding my 06 999s, monitor bike for issues - vert. valve cover leaking slightly in corners - I checked valve clearances early on this year - they were good to go - the bike only has 1900 + miles on it so I was not surprised. Nothing is as difficult as it may seem when it comes to mechanical work - just need to take your time. Ok I am rambling at 0245 in the morning - what do you guys do when you can't ride due to weather?
:abduct:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Living in Seattle the weather is intermittently sunny/dry until July - June is worse than May - Im not complaining, not after living here for over 30 years. When I cant ride due to wet weather I peruse this site and dream of riding my 06 999s, monitor bike for issues - vert. valve cover leaking slightly in corners - I checked valve clearances early on this year - they were good to go - the bike only has 1900 + miles on it so I was not surprised. Nothing is as difficult as it may seem when it comes to mechanical work - just need to take your time. Ok I am rambling at 0245 in the morning - what do you guys do when you can't ride due to weather?
Theres always something to do around the house/yard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Order more parts :-]

And put them on when it's raining

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Fire up the Kawasaki and ride..........;)

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Sounds like you might need a second machine? A group of us did a little over 200mi on Saturday. We saw several groups coming the other direction. It was a very good day. It would have been excellent if it was clear, but it did beat being around the house.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I start thinking that I need to trade my 1098S for a MTS1200, so I can start riding in this crap weather! The Rosso Corsas are probably better than the OEM Dragons I just replaced, but I still like riding in the rain with the open clutch cover.

Hoping the weather is nice on the 25th, as I'm planning on doing the Ducati Bellevue track day at the Ridge. A track day in the rain sounds like no fun actually....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2nd Bike

I was thinking I need a second bike to ride in the wet weather of the NW. Maybe a Duc -then again I would hate to see it short out - Hmm..... Time will tell - I think I have the ducati addiction yikes - my 999s is my first Duc and probably not my last - I just cant bring myself to ride my pristine 999s in the rain - damp maybe but the rear tire gets loosy goosy really easy and I am a careful rider - well as careful as one could be....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Guys

We have the same crap weather here in the UK at the moment, Mon to Fri is nice, warm and sunny(on the most part) Sat and Sun cloudy, wet, cold and windy.

I don't mind riding in the wet, but try not to if i can help it, no point pussy footing around riding gingerly, much prefer the dry knowing its not going to wash out on a manhole cover or a diesel spill patch..

If the weathers bad i break out the metal polisher kit and bling up my ride a bit more. you can see ya face in my rear sprocket, rear back box, heal plates, ride height adjuster etc..

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Hmm let's see, it depends. If I am away on a ride and it rains I keep riding. If it was a day ride and I didn't have to go and the forecast was for thunderstorms and hail, I would probably stay at home. Riding is supposed to be fun, riding in the pouring rain has lost its novelty for me - too much of it.

So, for instance this Sunday forecast 11C with rain - no riding. We might start restoring a bike. We spent last Winter doing my F1, I think it might be time to do the GT.

PS your bike should't short. Heaven knows our bikes have crossed floodways (which were flooded) they still ran. They just get dirty - good opportunity to clean up.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I usually clean and organize my tools and workspace. Then I'll usually strip the bikes down a bit and give them a thorough clean. Fresh wax on the paint, and clean/polish all the shiny bits. Get them all nice for the next sunny day.

Call me weird, but I do not ride in the rain. Eventually, when I've got another bike I don't really care about and some decent rain gear I might change that. I got caught in one bad thunderstorm on the highway once and that was it for me lol.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was a lot younger I used to park my car in the summer because I would never use it.....now days I will not even entertain riding with a good chance of rain...I just get too miserable not from the rain but from the sweet after riding with a water tight rain suit on top of the leather...which doesn't breath hence the fact its water proof...

There's plenty to do around here....always have project on the go! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rainy day...

It is not a good situation for me when it rains here in DC. I work construction and that usually means an easy day for me and a chance to go home early. The problem is that since it is wet I do not dare put the 998 on the road bcz I do not trust the Pirelli Corsa's. Cannot wait until they wear out so I can move to the Michellin 2CT. That then makes me look at the S4 Foggy (which has the 2CT) but since it is a limited edition bike I know better than to risk someone running me over. I would be more upset about the bike!

All that said, I simply grab a case of Peroni, pull out the leathers and give them a good cleaning and conditioning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts