Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people ,whats the deal with drilling out the pipes on the stock GT.does this help or hurt?will this effect warranty?I would like some professional advice on what seems not such a good idea,:confused:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
mouse - the consensus from the many savvy guys here who have done this seems to be no ill effects. Some feel there may be a modest performance improvement, but many think this may be just psychological due to the improved sound. The warranty part is more of a dealer to dealer thing, but if yours gave you a problem, most would say this is a sign you need to find another one.

If you haven't seen it already and want to wade through over 200 posts, here's the definitive thread on the subject-

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29317&highlight=exhaust+modification

·
Registered
309 Posts
Warning, armchair philosopher here -
Keep in mind that a lot of details in the stock implementation of these bikes seem to be oriented towards passing emissions and noise tests, rather than maximum efficiency, power or fun. So I'd bet that taking reasonably educated pot shots at the stock config is a good thing, generally.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Saw Don's original post on this subject when it first came out. Gave the matter some thought but then decided that I like hearing the bike's distinctive thumping at start-up and idle only. The stock pipes give me that.

I'll generally ride with ear plugs to cut wind noise and long term hearing loss, and think that loud pipes have no place on our streets. JMHO.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link,lots of reading on the subject.but Im still on the fence with this one,I would hate to ruin a good set of cans,already did to a stock set of bonneville peashooters.I think Ill a least wait till break in is complete.but thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
just did the mod with 2 holes in each SC can, sounds a lot nicer at idle and barely much louder when running. To the naked eye, the pipes are stock and EPA legal. Also running a Fatduc and everything seems A-OK. You should wait for break in. Mine is an 06 so warranty was never a question.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
mouse action - warranty issue aside, if your bike is new you might want to wait a while to see if the tone changes with some miles. Many mufflers get a richer tone with time and maybe this is the case with the GT's. I wouldn't know personally though since I bought mine with 3100 miles on it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got back from my 600 service and I asked the service guy about the pipe drilling and he looked at me like I had 3 heads,and recomend I dont do such a thing,he dident say why ,but was very firm in saying he wouldent.now any one who knows brett from gold coast motorsports in LI NY can agree he knows his bikes,so with this new info Im more comfused than when I started,,

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
just got back from my 600 service and I asked the service guy about the pipe drilling and he looked at me like I had 3 heads,and recomend I dont do such a thing,he dident say why ,but was very firm in saying he wouldent.now any one who knows brett from gold coast motorsports in LI NY can agree he knows his bikes,so with this new info Im more comfused than when I started,,
I'd say purchasing the bike from them plus spending several hundred more for the 600 mile service entitles you to an explanation from the service guy. I'd ask him if I were you. Maybe he knows his bikes but that still doesn't mean you as a paying customer should take his word as gospel without an explanation. The good mechanics I had as a bicyle shop owner were always more than willing to explain to customers why they should or shouldn't do something. That's part of customer service!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd say purchasing the bike from them plus spending several hundred more for the 600 mile service entitles you to an explanation from the service guy. I'd ask him if I were you. Maybe he knows his bikes but that still doesn't mean you as a paying customer should take his word as gospel without an explanation. The good mechanics I had as a bicyle shop owner were always more than willing to explain to customers why they should or shouldn't do something. That's part of customer service!
Big, big +1

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Most people react negatively to the unfamiliar. Its human nature.

What reason can he possibly give other than "I wouldn't do it?" The bike runs better and sounds better - or at least "different." But drillling holes! My god! No! No! No! (Unless, of course, he could charge for doing it) :p

-don

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya on that one don.as soon as I got into the garage I started to see what drill bits I would use if I were to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts